ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Cup 2005 - Subframe / Gearbox Removal

Clio 182
Basically the gearbox is leaking heavily and is in need of new seals, jacked up the car today removed the Wheels, discoonnected the P/S driveshaft, removed the suspension from the wishbones and the track rod ends.

From what I noticed there is 2 Main Nuts at the front of the subframe which has lowered it slightly however on the back there doesnt seem to be any movement after loosening the back 2 Nuts, I can see the steering rack, however I cannot see a way of removing it from the subframe?

Anyone done this before who can give me some info?

Thanks.

CursedTitanium 182FF
Disconnect the battery, starting with the negative terminal.

Remove:
the battery,
the air filter unit,
the engine undertray.

Disconnect:
the injection computer,
the preheating unit (diesel version),
the diesel filter (diesel version).

Remove the front bumper.

Remove:
the impact sensor,
the battery protection plate mounting bolts,
the battery protection plate.

Remove the wiring harness mounting bolts (1) .

Disconnect the clutch cable.

Remove:
the upper gearbox edge bolts and starter bolts.
the earth strap bolt from the gearbox,
the two TDC sensor bolts.

Drain the gearbox.

Remove:
the front wheels,
the wheel arches.

On the left-hand side, remove the three driveshaft gaiter bolts from the gearbox.

Remove on both sides:
the brake callipers, and hang them up,
the ABS sensors,
the track rod ends using the Ball joint extractor. (Tav. 476) ,
the shock absorber base bolts,
the subframe - side member tie-rods (2) ,
the anti-roll bar tie rod upper bolt (off-road vehicle only),
the "driveshaft - stub axle carrier" assembly.

Check that the driveshaft rollers cannot be removed by hand. If they can, check if any of the needles have fallen into the gearbox.

Remove the starter ( (see Starter) ).

Disconnect:
the reversing light connector,
the speedometer connector.

Remove:
the subframe tie-rods (5) ,
the tie-bar - gearbox mounting bolt (3) ,
the gear control linkage,
the engine tie-bar bolt (4) on the gearbox,
the gearbox rear support,
the power-assisted steering pipe mountings (if fitted).

Remove the gearbox-engine strut.

If necessary, insert a shim to tilt the engine forward to facilitate removal of the steering rack.

Remove the steering mountings from the sub-frame.

Attach the vehicle steering.

Position the Engine anchorage support with multiple adjustments and retaining straps. (Mot. 1453) .

Remove the gearbox support.

Fully lower the engine using the Engine anchorage support with multiple adjustments and retaining straps. (Mot. 1453) .

Position the Support for removal - refitting of engine - gearbox assembly (Mot. 1390) under the sub-frame.

Adjust the pad height to ensure the sub-frame is stable on the tool.

Lower the final drive until the subframe is touching the Support for removal - refitting of engine - gearbox assembly (Mot. 1390) .

Remove:
the sub-frame mounting bolts,
the subframe.

Set up the component jack under the gearbox.

Remove the gearbox lower mounting bolts.

Separate the gearbox from the engine.

Remove the gearbox.

REFITTING
Proceed in the reverse order to removal.

Check that the centering rings are in place and correctly positioned.

Torque tighten:
the lower ball joint nut 62 N.m ,
the track rod end nut 40 N.m ,
the shock absorber base nut 180 N.m ,
the engine tie-bar bolt on the gearbox (K7J, F8Q and D7F) 62 N.m ,
the engine tie-bar bolt on the gearbox (D4F) 105 N.m ,
the engine tie-bar bolt on the gearbox (K9K and K4M) 110 N.m ,
the gearbox bell housing and starter bolts 45 N.m ,
the suspended mounting nuts on the gearbox 62 N.m ,
the driveshaft gaiter mounting bolts 25 N.m .

Apply FRENBLOCto the steering box mounting bolts.

Torque tighten:
the steering box mounting bolts 50 N.m ,
the subframe front mounting bolts 62 N.m ,
the subframe rear mounting bolts 105 N.m ,
the subframe - side member tie-rod bolts 30 N.m ,
the subframe tie-rod bolts 21 N.m ,
the gear control tie-bar mounting bolts 28 N.m .

Check that the clutch system is operating correctly.

Fill up the gearbox.

Connect the battery, starting with the positive terminal.

CursedTitanium 182FF
1_zps04909a31.gif

2_zpsd894dd6d.gif

345_zpsc66a7276.gif

gearboxlowersupport_zps886106ea.gif

gearboxsupport_zps6ba0fa9c.gif

Clio 182
Thanks for the replies very helpful, so the column steering pinch bolt is near the drivers side then, gonna have a look tonight

It's fine to drop the subframe a certain amout while the rack's still bolted up, just not all the way or you'll damage the column.

ah thats good to know, i thought any amount and it could damage it but thats good to know that for the future. I'm no mechanic, i've just learnt everything from on here and getting stuck in (making a lot of mistakes).

Clio 182
Made a lot of progress now so thanks for the advice, 1 more thing there seems to be a black anti roll bar running from the subframe to the back of the car, as I lower the subframe it supports it so I an unable to drop it low enough, anyone got any advice on this as it looks like the bar runs with the exhaust

330i. E30 Touring.
Made a lot of progress now so thanks for the advice, 1 more thing there seems to be a black anti roll bar running from the subframe to the back of the car, as I lower the subframe it supports it so I an unable to drop it low enough, anyone got any advice on this as it looks like the bar runs with the exhaust

That's the gear linkage!

Shouldn't be affecting the subframe in this job!

You don't really need to remove all of the suspension, undo the nuts on the end of the driveshafts (easiest way is to do this first. Remove wheel centres whilst car is on the ground and crack them before jacking the car up to remove wheels)

Then just undo the bolts holding the ball joints onto the suspension arms and seperate them. There is no need to seperate the ball joints, remove the struts or unbolt the calipers, as there is still enough room to get the driveshaft out. Also you only need to remove the front parts of the wheel arch liners to get at the bumper retaining bolts.

I removed all of the suspension when I did my clutch, now I am having to go back in to remove the box I know which bits can be left in situ.