ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 what will i keep up with?

Clio 1.2 (progress)
Bascailly i am looking at buying a 172 now.. but what sort of cars can it keep up with.. i want speed basically.. what cars have u truely beaten in the 172 and what cars are faster but around the same price maybe?

172 Cup
I kept up with a milkfloat which gave my ego a huge boost.

Then I woke up and realised I wasn't 16 and didn't really matter what cars I can "beat"..

Clio
You can keep up with anything if its driving slow enough. But trying to find out what you can keep up with almost means certain death or really bad hurt.

Stick a top driver in a car half as quick as 172 and I expect you'll be eating ditch before you catch him up.

M2 Competition
Sounds like you want something turbo'd/ a straight line cruiser to race through town.

A clio this is not.

cock mobile.
On a serious note, for the price of a decent 172 you could get something faster.

Tuned MR2 Turbo, 200SX, etc.

However these cars would be older, and harder to live with daily, etc.

The advantage of a 172 is it's overall speed / price / usability.

Clio v6

A Saxo VTS
A Vauxhaul Nova SRi 1998
A Rover 820 Si
A Clio v6 on 2 ignition coils
A Clio 1.2 with a good driver

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Hmmmm...you seem like a road death statistic already.
You really should measure your car on how much fun it is, not what it can "beat".

For the price of the 172, there is faster out there.

Coming form a 1.2 clio, anything's going to seem really fast at first.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Real world most things to 90 ish mph.

Focus... all models
subary wrx's
civic typr R's
leon cupra's... ect ect

The things to watch out for are vag and bmw diesels that have been remap'd. Wrong gear and you've had it.

Inferno 182
I kept up with a milkfloat which gave my ego a huge boost.

Then I woke up and realised I wasn't 16 and didn't really matter what cars I can "beat"..

^^^^^
Took the words out of my mouth.
Another street racer to give the Clio a bad name, great!
Seems that owners are either Evo readers or boy racers - very different IMHO

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Not me. I would be a dot on the horizon to you son! lol

Seriously though, you need something smaller. You sound like an accident waiting to happen. With that attitude, going from a 1.2 to a 2.0 is a massive step in the wrong direction.

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
Buy a copy of Evo and check out the stats at the back - should give you an idea as to what it's on a par with.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Lol pep, If you want a hot hatch to go fast in a straight line then look into a type R, very thirsty compared to the clio & alot dont come with air con :dapprove: .. but the clio does do well, have caught a few people of gaurd that were in bigger cars not expecting it to move like it does.. like its been said already, for the money you cant complain, aircon, leather seats, xenons etc on an 2002 plate for around 4k with decent service history, a half descent Type r will be 7k +... plus on the motorway at 70mph my 172 will return 45+mpg :approve: handy in these fuel pricey times

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
You'll waste everything and still get 45mpg. Veyrons are easy meat.

Clio 1.2 (progress)
lol u lot make me laugh how ur all like ooooooo u want to go fast tut tut boy racers... why the hell do you own 2ltr sport? TO GO QUICK!?! maybe lol!;).. so ruffly the 172 is not a bad overall car.. will keep up with civic type r's not bad.. i know for the money i could get alot faster.. but insurence is the issue lol the 172 is only 2.400 to insure so its not 2 bad lol where as scoobys are in the 4's for the people that said keep it to track it will be attending track sessions so this is another reason for wanting to know ruffly what it will keep up with.. only a question jesus lol

Last edited:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
The only thing he will be beating is himself............ off.......... over a copy of lax power

a burnt one
Come on guys give the lad a break, ive lost count the amount of times ive read of stories on here about whos keeping up with who on their 'private' runway in the road driving stories section.

And lets be honest, it's something we all consider when deciding over what car to buy next, infact its not just considering its pretty high up the list of priorities.

Or am i to believe that you bought the clio because you loved the fact that everything rattles, that when doing more than 70mph the wind noise means you have to crank the stereo up, or the fact that the steering wheel decays in you're hand, exhausts rarely see out their warranty or just that it is a small hatchback synonomous with 'girly looking car', heck, you may even have bought it because Renault customer services are so great you love the repeated trips to the local dealer.

Despite all these things you still chose to buy one...why, because its a cheap fast car, which is basically the guys point so get off his back and give the guy some advice, we were all young once and dreamed of fast cars, those fortunate enough to be in the position to own one should lend their knowledge.

But no, this is cliosport so anyone in their teens who dares ask such questions and has a post count of less than 1,000 is automatically a chavvy boy racer.

For what its worth mate, buy a vag car and remap it, it wont rattle, and even a diesel not only keep up with but in most cases tear a standard 1*2 a new a**hole.

Despite what you will read on here, a renaultsport clio is not the best thing since internet p**n.

Clio 172 mk2
Come on guys give the lad a break, ive lost count the amount of times ive read of stories on here about whos keeping up with who on their 'private' runway in the road driving stories section.

And lets be honest, it's something we all consider when deciding over what car to buy next, infact its not just considering its pretty high up the list of priorities.

Or am i to believe that you bought the clio because you loved the fact that everything rattles, that when doing more than 70mph the wind noise means you have to crank the stereo up, or the fact that the steering wheel decays in you're hand, exhausts rarely see out their warranty or just that it is a small hatchback synonomous with 'girly looking car', heck, you may even have bought it because Renault customer services are so great you love the repeated trips to the local dealer.

Despite all these things you still chose to buy one...why, because its a cheap fast car, which is basically the guys point so get off his back and give the guy some advice, we were all young once and dreamed of fast cars, those fortunate enough to be in the position to own one should lend their knowledge.

But no, this is cliosport so anyone in their teens who dares ask such questions and has a post count of less than 1,000 is automatically a chavvy boy racer.

For what its worth mate, buy a vag car and remap it, it wont rattle, and even a diesel not only keep up with but in most cases tear a standard 1*2 a new a**hole.

Despite what you will read on here, a renaultsport clio is not the best thing since internet p**n.

+1

TBH it's quite an unremarkable car that you have to rev the bollox out of to make serious progress

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Focus... all models
subary wrx's
civic typr R's
leon cupra's... ect ect

The things to watch out for are vag and bmw diesels that have been remap'd. Wrong gear and you've had it.

Subaru WRX's? Non turbo aye?

Black Ph2 172
Things I have kept up/beat with:

MK5 Golf GTI
MK5 Golf R32
Mazda RX-8
BMW 530D
BMW 325i (E36)
Seat Leon Cupra R

ST

Focus... all models
subary wrx's
civic typr R's
leon cupra's... ect ect

Nah matey uk spec turbo is only 220bhp IIRC or a touch more, due to the extra weight of the 4WD system they aren't THAT quick tho if its UK STI with PPP at 300bhp or above it'll kill a 172/182/197..and maybe just maybe a meg 225/230 (but shhh dont tell meggerman) ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Nah matey uk spec turbo is only 220bhp IIRC or a touch more, due to the extra weight of the 4WD system they aren't THAT quick tho if its UK STI with PPP at 300bhp or above it'll kill a 172/182/197..and maybe just maybe a meg 225/230 (but shhh dont tell meggerman) ;)

So what you telling me? that im not trying hard enough lol

fair enough thought i would have got rattled off the scoobs

MCS R56
lol u lot make me laugh how ur all like ooooooo u want to go fast tut tut boy racers... why the hell do you own 2ltr sport? TO GO QUICK!?! maybe lol!;).. so ruffly the 172 is not a bad overall car.. will keep up with civic type r's not bad.. i know for the money i could get alot faster.. but insurence is the issue lol the 172 is only 2.400 to insure so its not 2 bad lol where as scoobys are in the 4's for the people that said keep it to track it will be attending track sessions so this is another reason for wanting to know ruffly what it will keep up with.. only a question jesus lol

What the hell does 'ruffly' mean?

I have no idea what you just wrote.

When someone ask the question, "What can I keep up with?", it does present a picture in most peoples' mind that the person asking the question will be constantly up someone's backside, everywhere they drive. It's ammo for bragging rights and a boost to the ego, should some other twit in a hot hatch decide they want to race. Yes, people buy the Clio because it is quick but that doesn't mean racing every car that has been listed.