ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 wandering over the road at speed

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
what could cause a clio 172 to wander over the road? its happening on full throttle under hard acceleration, its not torque steer as its not a thing its done untill recently. so far ive tried...

new track rods
new track rod ends
new bottom arms and bushes
full geometry setup

only other things i can think would be top mounts and my front 195/45/16 eagle F1's are needing replaced (not sure if this would cause it) but was looking to try 205's anyway

any ideas?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
tyres done about 1k before the geometry was done as i wanted to wait till it had a new set on it before i done it but then had to do a long trip so got it done so they had a bit of uneaven wear on them so thought that could cause it

clio sport 172
try changin ur tryes and then have the tracking done agian cause once a tyre starts wearing in one place it wlii always wear there

What kind of condition are the roads in that this is happening on? Mine does the exact same thing but only on rough roads i.e dips and bumps.

I've just put it down to my tyres due to them being 215s width wise.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
every road to be honest, its always tramlined on roads (all my clios have with 16" wheels) but this is worse, im putting the dci 15" wheels on it on tuesday to take it a run and see if its the tyres/wheel size/width!

Clio 1.6 16v 2000
why dont u swap the tyres fron to back and see if theres any change? check for feathering on the tyres aswell. does it pull to one side or does it do it both ways?

Golf GTD Mk7
I've just put it down to my tyres due to them being 215s width wise.

do they fit ok? any benefits you notice?

My car pulls sometimes under braking/acceleration/driving dependant on the road itself. Sometimes feel like its all over the place on really bumpy roads.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
hard on the brakes even from 145mph+ it brakes in a complete straight line no problem at all, ive been driving the dci on 15" wheels all winter and i know on my old clio it drove like a dog on 16s compaired to 15s and assuming 172's are the same just never had a shot of this car with 15s on it might give it a go see how it goes. im going to try solid top mounts as its an excuse for a mod haha!

do they fit ok? any benefits you notice?

They fit yeah, the previous owner had them fitted though.

There's no benefits from this other than giving more rim protection, the previous owner was female so perhaps that's why she wanted more rim protection? Lol :quiet:.

The car feels awful through high speed bends, everything that could possibly cause this has been checked and is fine, so the only thing I can see that's causing this is the width of the tyres.

172DD Cup
so annoying when you get to the end of a thread and it just ends! no solution! anyone sort this problem on theirs?