ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 ph1 odyssey blue

racing blue sport
Hello been a member for around 3 years now although I haven't put massive build threads up about my vehicle I'm always on here browsing at everyone's cars ,I'm from Colchester in Essex and although I've never seen a car from this area on here I'm sure there are a few
Now I went on a trip with a friend to pick up some freshly rebuilt bbs rms in Cambridge at the weekend and as we were talking with the bloke who done it I said I was looking for a 172 and he said his friend had a broken one , I said I'd love to look at it and 15 mins later I was handing over the cash and bringing it home with me , now it's a ph1 obviously in odyssey blue , correct me if I'm wrong, done 126k and although it looks rough isn't actually too bad bodywork wise , nothing a bit of pdr and my trusty polisher can't sort
£230 it was the car cost me
image_zpsg9hrzuvc.jpg

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Looks like a score have you got a thread on ur ph2 in your profile pic? Im gonna keep and eye on this aswell

racing blue sport
Looks like a score have you got a thread on ur ph2 in your profile pic? Im gonna keep and eye on this aswell
Thanks , no build thread was my first car but have a few pictures I'll post a couple

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 97
  racing blue sport
So I started ripping in to the clio tonight , was going to wait till Friday but I got inpatient this is how it started
image_zpsxdb8iwor.jpg

racing blue sport
And left it tonight looking very sorry for itself but soon will be running without overheating and smoking
image_zpsje9nb40t.jpg

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Good quick progress also wish my garage was like yours lol can't even fit my car in mine lol

racing blue sport
Hate seeing stuff sitting around doing nothing
Haha pretty lucky with the garages ,parents arnt happy that they can't out there cars away but oh well

racing blue sport
Bit of an update got the head off today , what a b*****d it was but got there in the end , gave it to local engineering firm to face it and pressure test then will all go back on with new cambelt dephaser and new gaskets
image_zpsizoont4i.jpg

racing blue sport
Yeah I know , when I took it off someone has had it off before as there is instant gasket on everything and marks all on the head where someone can't do anything properly but should slowly take shape , lovely ph2 by the way

racing blue sport
Should be together next week I hope , getting wheels tomorrow and coilovers next month , inlet , rocker and cam cover got painted black today too

racing blue sport
Around £340 I think not too bad but once I get a cage , seats harness , steering wheel should cost me around £1200 all in which is pretty cheap for a track car I think in a nice colour and cheap fun

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Arnt the b14's from Germany about £100 more? Or second hand gaz coilovers? There was a set on here for £250 from a respected member @Ph1 Tom

Never really looked in the ktec coilovers but arnt they just rubbish ones with ktec branding? I may be wrong

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The bilsteins are proven to be awesome. Search and you won't find bad reviews. Perfect for road use and a good few people have them on track, although the hardcore fans say there too soft.. The Gaz's are damping adjustable and are a decent kit. I went out in a Clio not so long ago with the Gaz's on and I actually forgot it was on coilovers, it was that comfortable. Both will be perfect for fast road too.

Ktec's are cheapies and just rebranded Raceland coilovers but more expensive. Spend a little extra, get a lot more. Just my opinion of course.

racing blue sport
The bilsteins are proven to be awesome. Search and you won't find bad reviews. Perfect for road use and a good few people have them on track, although the hardcore fans say there too soft.. The Gaz's are damping adjustable and are a decent kit. I went out in a Clio not so long ago with the Gaz's on and I actually forgot it was on coilovers, it was that comfortable. Both will be perfect for fast road too.

Ktec's are cheapies and just rebranded Raceland coilovers but more expensive. Spend a little extra, get a lot more. Just my opinion of course.
What do you think about shocks and springs? Just as good?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
New genuine shocks will be a better, coupled with a decent lowering spring. Cooksports seem to be the chosen track spring for 172/182's on standard/cup shocks. Obviously there a fixed drop but it'll ride better than the ktecs and still perform well. New shocks and springs all round will cost around the same as the ktec coilovers.

ast

Ibiza 5, A3 8p3, ph1
It's funny how I came across this thread on here while searching for wheel ideas for my odyssey!
Well I now own the car in the OP
And it's now fully running after a few cold days before Christmas.