ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup Correction Detail...

Megane R26
RussZS detailing a Clio!?? Gotta be a first... :lol:

Today's example was a newly stripped out, well cared for example of a 172 Cup in Mondial Blue, lowered on Eibch Springs, with OZ Ultra Leggera wheels, and a very tsteful KTec Stealth Exhaust system. The aftermarket Cobra seats were also lovely, but I didn't manage to get a pic of them :(

I thought today would be easy; done loads of Clio's, so no trouble at all... how wrong I was...

When I arrived at Ian's:

P1020178.jpg

P1020180.jpg

P1020181.jpg

P1020182.jpg

P1020183.jpg

First up, wheels, arches and tyres were washed with AS Smart Wheels, G101 and Tardis.

Then, I snowfoamed with Duragloss 901:

P1020184.jpg

Following this, I hand washed with DG901, rinsed off, clayed with AS Reglaze and Elite Polyclay, removed the tar with Tardis (life saver again today!!), rewashed, then dried.

The clay:

P1020185.jpg

After drying:

P1020186.jpg

P1020187.jpg

P1020188.jpg

The car was then moved into the car port, for the paint to be assessed, prior to beginning correction. My PD8 showed average readings of c. 180 all over, which is normal for RenaultSport paint.

However, we did have a bit of swirling... :doublesho

P1020189.jpg

P1020190.jpg

P1020192.jpg

P1020197.jpg

P1020201.jpg

After trying about 5 different combinations, I settled with Menzerna 3.02 on a Sonus SFX1 pad, which gave me this:

P1020205.jpg

P1020208.jpg

P1020211.jpg

Easy going then... or so I thought. The bonnet and the roof, along with most of the passenger side were an absolute PIG to correct, even though there were no signs of a respray. It took up to 3 hits of 3.02 or Megs 205 on a cutting pad to knock just the swirling out, something which I did with ease on the test panel!!! It just goes to show that no two cars are the same, and in some cases, no two panels!!

I gave up chasing down every last RDS, but must have corrected near 90% of the swirling and defects, which I was pleased with. It wasn't as 'corrected' as I'd like, but given my time limits and the pending frost, I had to do the best I could with the time I had.

I learnt an awful lot today, and became very comfortable with heavy cutting using Megs 105 and a cutting pad, something which I'd always pussy footed around previously.

I refined where necessary with Megs 205 (love this stuff!!).

Here's a few pics after polishing, please excuse the poor lighting:

P1020213.jpg

P1020216.jpg

P1020218.jpg

P1020219.jpg

P1020220.jpg

P1020224.jpg

P1020225.jpg

P1020226.jpg

P1020227.jpg

I finished up with:

- Megs Glass Concentrate on the Glass
- Optimum Opti Seal on the wheels
- CG NLTG on the tyres
- Jeffs Werkstat Acrylic Kit on the paintwork. It's the first time I'd used the full kit, and I was very impressed with how quick and easy it was to use - essential today given how dark it was becoming!

A few afters, again, excuse the lighting:

P1020229.jpg

P1020231.jpg

P1020232.jpg

P1020233.jpg

P1020236.jpg

P1020238.jpg

P1020242.jpg

P1020243.jpg

I'm knackered!! :)

Russ

White ds3
looks like a good hard day, just out of intrest what do you charge for this type of work pm me if you like thanx

Megane R26
looks like a good hard day, just out of intrest what do you charge for this type of work pm me if you like thanx

£100ish, which is dirt cheap compared to the pro's, but I'm only part time, so can't command £300 or so per detail.

I'm not as good as most of the pro's, but I'm sure they aren't 3x better :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
That headlight misted up lol?

Top work! What did you do with the satin finished bump strips?

Peeps who dont detail dont get how much work goes into a full correction. I wont even bother for less than £100, which some peeps think is dear!

Megane R26
That headlight misted up lol?

Top work! What did you do with the satin finished bump strips?

Peeps who dont detail dont get how much work goes into a full correction. I wont even bother for less than £100, which some peeps think is dear!

I went over them which glossed them up a bit, as they were swirly, but it didn't change the appearance of them at all really.

Have you corrected yours? How was the paint?

Agree on the £100, I'll never do it for less, but I do a paint cleanser/DA 'tidy up' for £50 or so, which is a LOT easier. My back is still aching now!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nah not yet, its having some paint in a few weeks. I'll give it a full once over come Easter time i think. I used to have a BG 182, lets say i learnt the hard way, but on the whole Renault paint is pretty easy i find. Worse i've done was an Exclusive that had had a full respray in the past. Hard paint wasnt the word! f**k me, never done anything like it!

Megane R26
Nah not yet, its having some paint in a few weeks. I'll give it a full once over come Easter time i think. I used to have a BG 182, lets say i learnt the hard way, but on the whole Renault paint is pretty easy i find. Worse i've done was an Exclusive that had had a full respray in the past. Hard paint wasnt the word! f**k me, never done anything like it!

This was a bugger, but really easy in parts - the mind boggles!

Renault is okay generally though, as you say. Hardest I've done is probably a Mk5 Golf R32

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
£150-175 is more realistic in my eyes Russ. You're bumping yourself rotten mate.

Nice work, as stated, people who don't do detailing dont realise how much work goes into this, and not only the actual machine polishing! Thats only a small part!

I know how you feel lol! I was dead after doing mine for the day, but well worth it!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Nice work, as stated, people who don't do detailing dont realise how much work goes into this, and not only the actual machine polishing! Thats only a small part!

I know how you feel lol! I was dead after doing mine for the day, but well worth it!
Materials cost a friggin fortune too!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You did all that for £100??

Fcuk that. I'd want £170 minimum!

Audi TT 225
Heya Russ, nice write-up, many thanks again for all your hard work today! Is much appreciated. Really pleased with the results :)

Gaz - Yea, the light is misted quite badly due to a very bad hole in the back but i've got new lights arriving in the week hopefully and back ones to fit in the garage :) I'll put some before pics on for a chuckle tomorrow of the car when i had it which include silver front grilles, wolfrace alloys, and an a rather large exhaust ;) and i'll grab an interior pic or two for you Russ ;)

NB, the silver bits still in there are going too (bumper inserts, diamond background, previous owner had a taste bypass i think)

Last edited:
Cracking job there Russ, finished results look really good.

Really do need to get mine detailed at some point because my paintwork is full of swirl marks on near enough ever panel.

120d M Sport
Lol at taste bypass! Sounds like a bit of a minor restoration project then. Looking good :)

As said, Russ is too kind for his own good, perhaps £120 should be a minimum starting point in future for this sort of work.

Audi TT 225
A few before pics

bf1.jpg

bf2.jpg

bf3.jpg

Since this it's had the following done..

Gearbox reconditioned
New Clutch and Gear Selector (OEM)
16" Ultraleggera's (Ebay!)
New Uniroyal Rainsports 195/45/16's (excellent tyre for winter)
New Rear Disks (OEM)
New Front Disks (Brembo Grooved)
New Pads all round (can't remember which I went for! oops)
New RS Grille
Fogs surrounds from _Nero_ (cheers!)
Lower Grille (Was actually still on the car but hidden behind the mesh, rofl)
New Gearbox Mount and K-Tec uprated Engine Mounts and Engine Bushes
K-Tec Stealth Exhaust (Cliospares, thanks)
K-Tec Sports Cat (Cliospares, thanks)
Eibach Sportlines for the Mo, it's not low enough for my liking though.
Cobra Daytona's with 172 Embroidery (Thanks Ollie82!)
Rear currently being stripped, bench, seats etc are out.
New Mats

I've got standard Rear lights to fit but it's a pain in the ass job as the existing wiring set-up has been messed about with!
New front lights to sort out

On the hit list is a new steering wheel, bumper inserts, diamond background (does this exist?), Splitter

Last edited:
  Megane R26
Oh dear god, all of that silver shite looks plain awful. Glad you have worked your magic on it now mate!