ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 at 18 paying £2400 tpft . sound about right ?

Clio TCe + Corsa VXR
yeh i know what you mean !
always wanted to have a fast car , as i could barely keep up with mates in their 1.6 's , now il be faster :evil:
Id give it one week of ownership before "your mates in their 1.6's" see you fly off the road in a frenzy of airbags and car parts , youll be banking on those 5 euro n-caps for sure buddy !!! ;) A word of advice is "anyone can go fast in a rapid car , its knowing when to back off thats gonna keep you out of the s**t " ,and the only way to learn that is experience.
On a lighter note hope you dont kill yourself......

Golf TDI
yeh i know what you mean !
always wanted to have a fast car , as i could barely keep up with mates in their 1.6 's , now il be faster :evil:
Id give it one week of ownership before "your mates in their 1.6's" see you fly off the road in a frenzy of airbags and car parts , youll be banking on those 5 euro n-caps for sure buddy !!! ;) A word of advice is "anyone can go fast in a rapid car , its knowing when to back off thats gonna keep you out of the s**t " ,and the only way to learn that is experience.
On a lighter note hope you dont kill yourself......

Monaco 172 sport
Your a nutter paying that much for insurance and only TPFT but each to there own.Why do you want something so fast and silly at such a young age anyway? Just hope you dont stack it or get loads of point for speeding otherwise you will never get insurance.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I think you bonkers. You have jumped from a 1.2 to a 2.0

The power will be so much more and you will have to be very careful.
You will not realise how fast you are going.. Does tpft cover you if you hit lamposts or the ocasional right off ???

Good luck anyways. :)

Monaco RS Clio 172
good on ya fella :cool:

I'm 19, paying 1700~. works out 150-160 per month and I'm with kwik fit too!

full comp for me tho.. fook the risk of someone hitting it while it's parked and not being covered if they drive off. happened to me in a previous car but luckily it was worth only 500 quid so it didn't matter too much.

altho mine is a ph2, paid near on 5k just for the car.

I'm 20 in oct tho, if I wasn't 20 during the policy, kwik fit wouldn't have insured me.

have fun but BE CAREFUL and think seriously about where you stick your toe down, these cars are alot faster than you realise ;)

Rb 182 ff
go for it mate
im 18 and gonna get a 182 next month
dont listen to people who say your gonna crash it
i done a quote with bell mate 18 1 years no claims fc 2231 with my mam and dad on the policy

320d
I think you bonkers. You have jumped from a 1.2 to a 2.0

The power will be so much more and you will have to be very careful.
You will not realise how fast you are going.. Does tpft cover you if you hit lamposts or the ocasional right off ???

Good luck anyways. :)

Lots of people have on the forum. If you like ur clio's your only other option is a 1.6 and although they're a good upgrade, there not 1*2 pace.

And also its only as fast as you put your foot down. plenty of people have safely made the change

Golf TDI
i will safely make the chane unless some other c**t hits me lol i dont plan on being a arsehole .

Golf TDI
not sure if i did try them , mind you i will have another go just incase i didnt try them . you off torque wales yeh ;)

Monaco - 172
I'm with Flux mate, and i'm 19, was with them at 18 as well, therefore you shouldn't have any problems with them mate. Quoted me on my Fiesta 1.2si quite cheap, but then I erm, well, wrote it off, so got a clio and quoted me £1066 for TPFT. This was within a month of passing too.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
f**k, you only live once, at 18 i went from a 1.2 dynamique to a 172, best thing i ever done, i payed £2500 a year 3rd party too, dropped at 19 to £1200 fully comp.

in all honesty ive never driven a car like the 172, doesnt matter what it is, nothing ive came across yet compairs in fun factor, its awesome

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Why do young 'uns want to jump into something fast straight away? More to the point, what makes them think they have the skill to handle a lot more power than they're used to? It's a lot to do with bravado and bragging rights, IMO. When I was 18, I had a 1.3 Belmont, then I moved up to a 2.0 Cavalier, then into a 205 1.9 GTi. Looking back, that was still too big a jump. Going from 75 bhp to 115 to 170-odd. I drove the 205 like a bell-end and got my arse tanned by the Feds a few times. Spun it a couple of times in the wet because I thought I could handle it. Luckily, I never stacked it. I was paying £1300 Fire and Funeral for it, aged 19 back in early 2000.

The upside was, I built up some decent no claims and could easily insure a Subaru Legacy Turbo at 22 for £800 FC.

It's your money, but I feel it's going to end very badly. Especially if you let your mates goad you. Look at it this way, you have the more powerful car now, you have nothing to prove.

Book it on a trackday and find it's limits there, rather than stuffing it into a hedge, or worse, a bus-stop full of people.

Golf TDI
Why do young 'uns want to jump into something fast straight away? More to the point, what makes them think they have the skill to handle a lot more power than they're used to? It's a lot to do with bravado and bragging rights, IMO. When I was 18, I had a 1.3 Belmont, then I moved up to a 2.0 Cavalier, then into a 205 1.9 GTi. Looking back, that was still too big a jump. Going from 75 bhp to 115 to 170-odd. I drove the 205 like a bell-end and got my arse tanned by the Feds a few times. Spun it a couple of times in the wet because I thought I could handle it. Luckily, I never stacked it. I was paying £1300 Fire and Funeral for it, aged 19 back in early 2000.

The upside was, I built up some decent no claims and could easily insure a Subaru Legacy Turbo at 22 for £800 FC.

It's your money, but I feel it's going to end very badly. Especially if you let your mates goad you. Look at it this way, you have the more powerful car now, you have nothing to prove.

Book it on a trackday and find it's limits there, rather than stuffing it into a hedge, or worse, a bus-stop full of people.

some good advice there mate :) i know i have nothing to prove ;)

R35 GTR
got my renewal through at 530ish with 4 year ncb on my 182 turbo

oh and all the comments about jumping from a 1.2 to 182 being silly get a life.lol. The 182s are quick, but they are not exactly dangerously quick.

Last edited:

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
sounds like a crap deal imo.. id expect fully comp for over 2k. Just seems like such a waste of money.

Just wait...chill.. tootle along in a group 1-3 car and save money. By the time your 21 youl have more experience, more discount, and more money to get a 197 cup etc.

y waste money ?

Golf TDI
sounds like a crap deal imo.. id expect fully comp for over 2k. Just seems like such a waste of money.

Just wait...chill.. tootle along in a group 1-3 car and save money. By the time your 21 youl have more experience, more discount, and more money to get a 197 cup etc.

y waste money ?

not wasting my money , im enjoying my money .

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I think what he's trying to say is you can have lots of fun now paying that much...

Or... wait a couple of years and have the exact same amount of fun, but for a quarter of the price :rasp: actually probably even less than that as the car would be cheaper too!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm lost for words.

You're paying the car's value in insurance, and if you crash, you're stiffed because of your third-party cover.

Truly nice work on that one. :S

It's your money though, so be as silly with it as you like.

Golf TDI
I'm lost for words.

You're paying the car's value in insurance, and if you crash, you're stiffed because of your third-party cover.

Truly nice work on that one. :S

It's your money though, so be as silly with it as you like.

some people seem to be alot more sensible than others . :eek:

Golf TDI
extremely worth it , tbqh im loving the power , without being silly mind . you can go on dual carriage ways and overtook with no hesitance :) just having a wee bit of trouble with the car but thats getting sorted .

i wouldnt drive a group 16 car on TPFT insurance, u hit someone, or someone hits you, your fucked as you will have to fork out to fix your own car

waste of time and money imo

320d
Tbh matey if your happy then why not. Personally i'm going to wait untill i'm 19 then look for a ph1 172, think that way i'll be able to get a half decent insurance quote. Tpft would tempt me on a car worth <£3k though as its hardly worth losing your ncb for if u crash. But if you hit someone else then i supose you may aswell.

2 ways of looking at it.

320d
i wouldnt drive a group 16 car on TPFT insurance, u hit someone, or someone hits you, your f**ked as you will have to fork out to fix your own car

waste of time and money imo

If someone hits you your covered as there insurance pay, only if u hit somebody your not.