ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.8 16V

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Selling my little runaround fiesta and thinking of getting one of these to run instead.Fiesta is a little 1.25 ghia fully loaded but is lacking in power and feedback tbh.

Looking to getting a valver as the insurance is not much different for me and mpg isnt too much diferent either believe it or not.Like i said this will be a second car for us and more for me to use for work and running around.Got my eye on one at the moment on an N plate once the fiesta goes and wanted peoples opinions on them.

Are they good little reliable cars and are they are much fun as everyone says,i have just got rid of a 172FF and that was a great little car.The one im looking at isnt mint but it has been looked after by the sounds of things.It will be a little project car to make mint again whilst im using it.Are they money pits or is it a good decision in buying one.

RB 200 Cup!
from what ive heard they arent that reliable

mind you its the same with any car make - theres always a few dogs and a few good uns.

RenaultSport 172.
...ive had one..had a 449 valver on a M plate...

Yes they are money pits.
Yes most have had a real hard life.
Yes most have been raced or given s**t.
It'l probley spend more time on your drive being fixed than being driven.

But my god is it worth it...id have one again anyday....Spun myn well into triple figures on the motorway thanks to a polish lorry driver :(

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Had a quick look over at above website and they seem not too much trouble.Main concerns seem to be rust and rot,i dont mind rust as this can be sorted but obviously rot is another issue.Things to look out for are pretty similar to any older hot hatch i have owned in terms of mechanical issues.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
they are not as much trouble as the majority of the uneducated people make out, just make sure you get a good one, do your research etc etc...

if you are in a rush you will get a sh*tter, if you take your time, do your research, spend the money you'll get a goody, same as anything else

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Im not looking to spend a lot and im not expecting a minter,it more for a rolling project to keep me busy on my days off.Its gotta be a runner and reliable as i will use it for work and back.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Another good source of information is www.williamsclio.co.uk , do your homework and look at a few to get a better feel for them.

The only reason most people say they're unreliable seem to forget they're older cars, and things wear out so the thing are gonna cost money, so will the 182's 197's etc in 10 years time so to say Mk1's are money pits is a bit short sighted.

I bought my valver 18 months ago and it was a bit of a shed, but I've done it how you're planning to as a bit of a project but using it every day. It's now mechanically spot on (apart from a squeky aux belt:mad: ) and fuckin immaculate, got it back from a full respray on sat:cool:

Don't be put off by the scaremongers on here, I don't care what car you buy, it will break at some point

Ask on the forums and have a look at other peoples valvers that aren't for sale, so you get an honest version of what these cars are really like and no sales pressure, at a meet or something like that. If you're ever around Notts way, drop me a PM & you're more than welcome to have a look at mine