ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clicking / Ticking when turning

182 BG
Hi all

Can anybody point me in the right direction iv noticed recently when turning left or right at low speeds in 1st gear I'm getting a clicking noise from outside the car iv only noticed it at very low speed such as pulling out a junction slowly. Anybody experienced this before?

Thanks in advance

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
IMG_2316.PNG

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
They were really helpful when I rang them. Had the passenger side fitted by carl @bloke and had been issue free for about six months

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah sorry. Chris and mark both have j&r shafts too.

Should have edited my post but was rushing

PH2 172
Okay cheers mate il give them a ring tomorrow. Iv just read a couple of reviews saying they were crap :-/

One valid criticism of the drivers side shaft is that the inner CV joint boot is a trifal oversize, and can expand at speed & catch on the engine block.
It would be worth your while grinding that pointy bit off the block.

PH2 172
The pointy bit in question is in the pic on the 1st post of this thread.
For some reason it wont let me lift the pic.
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/172-driveshaft-problem.518000/

I like how we have jumped straight to driveshaft, bypassing are the wheel nuts/bolts tight, or has it got the Brembo grub screws fitted to the disc, which sit proud of the disc and prevent the wheel seating correctly.

Does it click both sides, or just the one?

Shaftec do 182 Cup shafts R396L (left) & R396R (right), but they are twice the price of the J&R`s.
I`ve had a Shaftec for 16K miles, 2 years now.

182 BG
The pointy bit in question is in the pic on the 1st post of this thread.
For some reason it wont let me lift the pic.
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/172-driveshaft-problem.518000/

I like how we have jumped straight to driveshaft, bypassing are the wheel nuts/bolts tight, or has it got the Brembo grub screws fitted to the disc, which sit proud of the disc and prevent the wheel seating correctly.

Does it click both sides, or just the one?

Shaftec do 182 Cup shafts R396L (left) & R396R (right), but they are twice the price of the J&R`s.
I`ve had a Shaftec for 16K miles, 2 years now.
Bolts are tight it also has grub screws but they are flush. It was only clicking when turning left but recently it's clicking both sides now. Is it worth paying the extra for Shaftec driveshafts?

PH2 172
Is it worth paying the extra for Shaftec driveshafts?

I guess the jury is still out on that, as people have not been using them until recently on Sports.

I have not heard any horror stories, and they both have a 2 year warranty, so I`d chance the J&R`s.

You will have to change the gearbox oil to replace the UK passenger side shaft.

I believe the two piece J&R drivers shafts (non 172 Cup style ones) seem to be wrong in the way that they catch the engine block from having too larger boot or something.

Unsure what ones @Dr Jekyll is running but my one piece items haven't caused an issue at all and I haven't been sat still unable to pull away.......

Are we ever going to get to the end of these driveshaft posts lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Wheels?
Brakes?
Coilovers or cup shocks/springs
Best air filter?
Driveshaft?

It's on the list by now surely

182 BG
I believe the two piece J&R drivers shafts (non 172 Cup style ones) seem to be wrong in the way that they catch the engine block from having too larger boot or something.

Unsure what ones @Dr Jekyll is running but my one piece items haven't caused an issue at all and I haven't been sat still unable to pull away.......

Are we ever going to get to the end of these driveshaft posts lol

So will I require the two piece J&R shaft on my 182 cup pack? Can you buy genuine driveshafts from the likes of Renaultparts direct or Renault Wolverhampton ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
They have stopped making them.

Which side is the issue on yours? The passenger is one piece

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So will I require the two piece J&R shaft on my 182 cup pack? Can you buy genuine driveshafts from the likes of Renaultparts direct or Renault Wolverhampton ?

I had a J&R one fitted to my passenger side on my cup packed 182 and its been fine since fitment. I read the horror stories too but ive not had any issues yet and they've been on for a few months now and i do 40 miles a day.

I put a genuine driveshaft on the drivers side. Unfortunately (or fortunately now) at the time renault only sold this side, hence me buying the J&R one. Renault have since discontinued both sides now so i must have got one of the last genuine ones!

PH2 172
I had a J&R one fitted to my passenger side on my cup packed 182 and its been fine since fitment. I read the horror stories too but ive not had any issues yet and they've been on for a few months now and i do 40 miles a day.

I put a genuine driveshaft on the drivers side. Unfortunately (or fortunately now) at the time renault only sold this side, hence me buying the J&R one. Renault have since discontinued both sides now so i must have got one of the last genuine ones!

What horror stories?

182 BG
Jacked the car up today and turn't the wheel and span them but i can't seem to get the ticking/clicking noise had a good look underneath and can't see anything touching/rubbing to cause the sound.

i only seem to get the noise when out driving on certain locks when turning the wheel