ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Kits

BMW 535d
Ramdomly stumbled across this DIY gloss carbon kit that would be a substitute for the Di-noc carbon wraps that everybody seems to be using.

This is their main website:

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk

However, i will be getting some of this next pay day. Its just a kit to coat your part in carbon fibre and then be able to give them a gloss finish.

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Skinning-Starter-Kit__CMCFSK300.aspx

You can get other kits and one that makes a mould for you to get a carbon product from instead of just covering the original.
Just wondering what people think about this.

C&C welcome
Cheers
Jake

what's so hard about it?

Carbon wrap is a sticker. We've all been using stickers since at least playgroup. This carbon kit is a sort of weird single-layer attempt at fully fledged wet layup. It's not complicated per say, but it's 100% the definition of "harder than it looks" & skilled people "making it look easy."

It's generally horrible stuff, fabric is thick and doesn't like to bend (think hessien texture), resin is very tacky, fiddly, long proccess, only get one chance, very easy to **** up, resin is nasty stuff. However this is just a coating, nothing remotely structural about it, only one layer, defects don't matter etc. The skill in layup comes when you need to do several layers perfectly aligned, on complex shapes, perfectly consistantly and without a single hair-length defect.

RS6 C7
I found it extremely difficult to use, The carbon itself is very tricky to manipulate so it goes round the edges and also keep the weave correct, The resin is really tacky so you only have to let a tiny bit of carbon stick down and that's it it's going there. Smells like s**t, I made a right mess, Carbon seems to get everywhere :(

When you pick up the resin covered part with the gloves on it's hard not to get any on you so when you put the carbon on it ends up sticking to you.

Great kit if you know what you are doing but for me it was s**t. Hated it and soon got rid.

bg 182
i used these guys when i was playing with carbon fibre they are good kits but takes alot of time and effort it you want to do a good job, they give brilliant advice and between you and me if you go up in person they give good discount, as for easycomposites, all the resigns, PVA etc that carbon mods supply are actually easy composites, every time i have bought some of them i have only been charged easy comp prices, but i go up in person and usually get a better deal. few tricks of the trade if you are going to play to prevent the carbon from fraying spray hair spray on it this sets the carbon a little and allows for a crisper cut also pull a strand out to show a clear line to cut etc. Best bet like said above leave it to the pros if you ask carbon mods they will wrap most things for you.