ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laquering carbon vinyl wrap?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I got some bullets and sanded them but I CBA spraying them so I wrapped them in ebay vinyl carbon stuff (cos I'm s**t at spraying and have zero patience!).
So I laquered over them to make them look a bit more gloss than matt (with clear halfords Lacquer) and did about 7 very thin coats. It's very shiny, and seems to have dried already?!
BUT, the carbon effect is more or less gone now. Will the clear lacquer 'harden' and so I will see the carbon effect again? Or have I put too much on and it's just gonna look black now?

No big deal either way but was kind of getting used to the carbon look even though it was just cos I was too lazy to spray.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Upload some pics dude! I'm quite interested in seeing what laquered carbon wrap looks like, had the same idea myself.

Maybe less coats would work out better, 7 seems a lot to me. Maybe 3 or4 at the most?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
It just looks black at the mo, unless you out it up against the light.
I'm dog s**t at spraying. Just got no patience. Thought I'd give this a go though.
It looked gash with less coats though, just looked like it had had a light spray! Could do with more really but think that's enough, I'm doing it in my flat and I'm getting super high.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Guys, if I can manage to wrap the bullets ANYONE can.

I've done the front diamond, hazard light panel and fog light surrounds too but didn't laqcuer them. It's dead easy to do to get it to look ok, but not sure how long it will last. It's lasted a few washes so far though and it's definitely easier than spraying.

Bullets can be a biatch to get off the first time (well the strips can be - just got to persuade them off by sliding them backwards away from the front of the car).
bullets are held in by 3 clips that need persuasion rather than brute force to remove (as the clips are fragile).

Wrap is cheap as chips off eBay. Give it a try, cheap and easy (how I like everythng in life).

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Think they just pop off mate, get underneath them with a screwdriver, but make sure you use a towel to protect your paint!

Wouldn't try popping them off without removing the strips first if it was me but it could work (could snap the clips and won't click back on).

Astra gsi turbo
i have textured wrap, already done my dash trim and diamond but i thought the fog covers would be hard

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Fog covers were the trickiest out of the lot yeah. Think mine's textured too, no idea though I didn't investigate it too much, was just another bored ebay purchase at silly o'clock.
I thought (correct me if I'm wrong) but isn't all streamline carbon stuff just wrapped and lacquered?

I got the '2.0 16v' style stickers for the bullets off N2Grafix on here, he supplies streamline too apparently.

Astra gsi turbo
is the 2.0 16v not pressed into the bullets ? i also only bought it because i wanted to buy something lol

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah it is raised on 2.0 16v bullets. But I bought some DCi ones and sanded them down so I could put 2.0 16v stickers on in yellow cos I'd have made a right mess painting them.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
This is how they look now and don't think they're going to look much different once they've fully dried.

Can just make out the carbon but it's very subtle. Oh well looks better than if I'd attempted to spray them black.

7599253498_4d70f81954.jpg

IMAG0350 by foodbeast04, on Flickr

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
But much easier and cheaper than spraying so maybe I might try getting some grey/anthracite vinyl and redoing these with lacquer. Might just leave as is though, CBA.

inferno 182.
hi guys! streamline products are real carbon fibre so quality!at a price! but chris at carbon central a trader on here wet lays carbon and it looks the same! also quality as laquered in 2k and you cant tell the difference! half the price! try sprayshack for your bullets guys! done pro and they look good!!!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
hi guys! streamline products are real carbon fibre so quality!at a price! but chris at carbon central a trader on here wet lays carbon and it looks the same! also quality as laquered in 2k and you cant tell the difference! half the price! try sprayshack for your bullets guys! done pro and they look good!!!

My mistake. Sorry Streamline - their stuff does look s**t hot. And yeah the spray shack thread got me thinking about smoothing bullets and respraying them. Still tempted by theirs but these will do for now.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Got to agree that the carbon effect does reduce once lacquered. Here is my wing mirror wrapped in 3m and then 2 coats of laquer. I must admit the gloss has reduced over time. It now looks like a satin type finish.

DSC_0615.jpg

Looks good chaps, technically you shouldnt lacquer CF wrap (vinyl type) without an adhesion promoter (such as clear plastic primer sprayed very very thin).