ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can't Reach Dipstick!

My Clio has the ph2 K4J (1.4 16V) engine & the engine oil dipstick is very low down in the engine bay with a tiny (stubby) handle!
Dipstick.JPG
I can't get my hand down far enough to reach the dipstick, to check the level / condition of the oil. I know the service menu display says "oil ok" but I prefer to check the engine oil physically, rather than rely on a sensor.

I had to put the Clio up on a ramp and pull the dipstick from underneath.. Not really convenient for weekly checks etc.

1.) Are there any 'interchangeable' dipsticks with a longer handle, to suit my engine?

2.) Would it be safe to use the type of dipstick that's attached to the oil filler cap (standard fit for some other Clio / Megane engines) on my model?

Thanks in advance!

When I had my 1.4 I never had any real problems getting to it and checking the oil. I must admit it's not the easiest dip stick to get to but it's certainly not a problem.

Just man up and get stuck in!

1. No.

2. No.

I don't see why you can't reach it? The 1.4 bay is hardly cramped?!

With A/C and auto tranny it's pretty cramped ;)

can't be as tight to get to as a 2.0??

Just as tight to get to as a 182!

When I had my 1.4 I never had any real problems getting to it and checking the oil. I must admit it's not the easiest dip stick to get to but it's certainly not a problem.

Just man up and get stuck in!

Maybe it was an 8V manual without air-con? Re. "man up" lol... That's the problem, my big man hands won't squeeze in there... I'm sure a girl could get to it no problem ;)

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
WTF is that thing??

I'm not aware of a longer one, but then I've never looked.
Mine just has a little orange handle on it with a hooked end.

RB 182 FF
I think the problem with these dipsticks are the dipsticks complicating the issue of the dipstick! :tongueclosed:

But seriously, can we have a photo? I find any issue of an out of reach dipstick in a tiny clio engine bay hard to believe...

But seriously, can we have a photo? I find any issue of an out of reach dipstick in a tiny clio engine bay hard to believe...

Nope! Can't be bothered to take pics.. It's a tiny dipstick, very low down & tight access, simples! :wink:

I think you've hit the nail on the head, saying "tiny clio engine bay"... Larger engine bays like my scooby are no problem. The dipstick for the front diff is much lower down with a tiny handle (just a yellow plastic ring with no stem). Very easy to check because the engine bay is huge. Some people have problems removing the intercooler but it's still easy to reach (rear diff doesn't have one, you just remove the top square nut (technically a bolt) and fill 'til it drips out).

I think this thread has exhausted itself tbh...

Clearly some models have a tiny dipstick with tight access (hoses, a/c etc.) And some don't.

Nothing complicated, just asked if there were any dipsticks with a longer handle to suit my model? Like I say, easy to get to from underneath (on a ramp) so it's not a problem, just an inconvenience.

Probably try what @JamesBryan suggested or figure something out, same as @Cub.

End thread (for me anyway)...

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I think the problem with these dipsticks are the dipsticks complicating the issue of the dipstick! :tongueclosed:

Lol. Have you seen a clio engine bay with a supercharger kit in it? Hardly spacious.

photo15_zps900fcce8.jpg

Cookie monster RB182
Jeez just put your arm down and grab it... its fine on my 1.6... stop being a pussy lol

Maybe it was an 8V manual without air-con? Re. "man up" lol... That's the problem, my big man hands won't squeeze in there... I'm sure a girl could get to it no problem ;)

2003 16v with air-con.

I can see where your coming from because the dip stick on these is stubby but even with man hands it's no problem at all.

Hope you find the solution your looking for.