ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can sky put you on the wrong exchange?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hello,

We're having serious internet problems here at the minute.

Screen Shot 2013-05-02 at 18.46.03.png

According to that speed test website, our exchange is maidenhead, however our nearest exhange is High Wycombe which is <1 mile away from my address.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMHY

So my question is, why the hell am I connected to the maidenhead one, which is miles away!? I assume it has an impact on internet speed!?

Sky are being s**t as usual. We're getting BT infinity when we move.

​TIA

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Yeah, they can put you on the wrong exchange point.

Have you rung them up? It might be the wrong channel as well, worth getting them to test that.

And as above, I also believe that's the nearest server to you that speedtest.net have access too.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
So that speed might not even be accurate?

It is accurate enough if you're grabbing/sending data to Maidenhead, yea, but honestly, ring up Sky and ask them to check your line for white noise and ask them if there is a better channel they can pop you on.

Sometimes they put you on a test channel for 24 hours which is super sh*t speed but it helps them determine what channel would give you the best speed.

340i
Yes, you could quite easily be routed through the incorrect exchange for your area.

Speedtest.net does not check speed / response time from your local exchange either, it could be any.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
as mentioned, the speedtest is not your exchange, you can actually choose which location it tests against from a few around the country.

i live less than 100m from the exchange in wycombe, i get 20mb/s from a 21mb line ;)

You might want to try doing the test on a wired in connection too, don't trust the results from a wireless connection as it can be a massively different result. So try with a laptop wired into the router before calling sky up.

I am on o2, but lucky me i became a sky customer today from the sale of o2 BB to sky. can't wait........

340i
as mentioned, the speedtest is not your exchange, you can actually choose which location it tests against from a few around the country.

i live less than 100m from the exchange in wycombe, i get 20mb/s from a 21mb line ;)

You might want to try doing the test on a wired in connection too, don't trust the results from a wireless connection as it can be a massively different result. So try with a laptop wired into the router before calling sky up.

I am on o2, but lucky me i became a sky customer today from the sale of o2 BB to sky. can't wait........

I am in the same position as you, been with o2 ISP from day 1, always had 18-20mb/s speed.

will see what happens now Sky are in charge.