ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT IPlate

Bumder With A Buffer
Been in our house about 2 years now and have always struggled to egt anything over 2Meg on our internet :( Fairly close to the exchange too by the way.

So recently at work have been doing some testing using Iplates for a product we are developing and thought sod it il nick one for a bit and see if it makes any difference.

For anyone that doesnt know what they they basically get rid of the bell or ring wire which is no longer usd by BT.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-iplate---bt-broadband-accelerator-58LT.html

A guy at work has recently moved near me into an old farm house about a mile away from mine and was telling me how he got about 4meg, which pisssed me off as im closer! Plus guy over the road from me also has about 5meg so I knew something wasn't right.

Now firstly I decided to actually remove the bell wire physically from my master socket...left it for over a week and saw no improvement :( So bought the Iplate home...put that on, reset the Router and bosh....

8959b1d2.jpg

Now up to 4.7 ish meg. Whats interesting is that there is bugger all in the Iplate bar a couple of inductors to remove the noise from the bell wire so removing it from the back of the master-socket should in theory have the same effect..but it didn't. Have been running with this now for over a week without a drop in speed so im quite impressed. I thought they were a gimmick and whilst they don't help EVERYONE it certainly seems to help my line. Now I just wish they would install an ADSL 2+ DSLAM in my local exchange so I can get higher!

Tesla MP3 2021
Yep, I had an ADSL Nation faceplate on my master socket when I was with Be, this helped me achieve my 23Mb connection. Thats old news now as I am with VM loving their 50Mb connection.

Tesla MP3 2021
The ADSL Nation one also had the benefit of not having to use micro filters around the house, I presume the same can be achieved with the Iplate?

Bumder With A Buffer
The ADSL Nation one also had the benefit of not having to use micro filters around the house, I presume the same can be achieved with the Iplate?

Doesnt seem so, still need to use filters on the BT peice of junk.

So I've got an Openreach socket which isn't used in the house anymore (used to be for ISDN line for work). Can I swap my master socket over to the Openreach socket which has the IPlate built in apparently? And is it a ball ache of a job?

Tesla MP3 2021
Are you sure you have an ISDN NTE (socket) in your house, this is completely different as ISDN is a digital line and you wont be able to use this type of socket on your normal analog/pstn landline which has your broadband on.

If it is an ISDN NTE then it will have two RJ45 (cat5) connections on the underside of the socket.

Are you sure you have an ISDN NTE (socket) in your house, this is completely different as ISDN is a digital line and you wont be able to use this type of socket on your normal analog/pstn landline which has your broadband on.

If it is an ISDN NTE then it will have two RJ45 (cat5) connections on the underside of the socket.

Nah that bit got taken out. Went and bought an IPlate from Maplins. Improved by 1.5mb :D