ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oil light flickered on!

At idle, or when revving?

If the latter then sounds pretty unlikely its anything other than a major problem :(

These engines love to spin the centre main bearing or an end if you dont get the tolerances and oil supply right when building/specing them so lets hope its not something as fundamental as that, as potentially could be not a lot left salvageable depending on how long it saw low oil pressure for and how much load it was under, just a few seconds of full throttle at high RPM with no pressure can be enough to total everything.

Fingers crossed for something like a dodgy sensor though!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A rattle was heard.

Certainly sounds like its done an end at the minimum then.

Have to pull it apart and find out.

You really arent having much luck since you moved on from standard engines with a set of cams lobbed in them, maybe time to step back to that or is it a case of then you wouldnt be competitive enough now things have moved on a bit?

Missed events must be a painful way to lose money :(

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
You really arent having much luck since you moved on from standard engines with a set of cams lobbed in them, maybe time to step back to that or is it a case of then you wouldnt be competitive enough now things have moved on a bit?

That's the issue with a lot of motorsport series I think, it turns into wallet racing :( Standard (or as close to possible) engines should be all that's allowed IMO. Sure you can blueprint them but the gains aren't as much as fancy cams (and all the crap that goes with them), steel cranks, stupidly expensive pistons and rods and the associated re-build intervals.

Really hope you can find the motivation to carry on Tony, I know how it feels with failure after failure (killed a rebuilt engine before the start of this season and had to build another, then wrote my car off at the last round, and have just finished the re-shell) - but stick with it cos the banter in the paddock is worth it! Crack on!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chin up mate. Things will take a turn for the better at some point. F#!king F4R's. :drunk:

The F4R can be a pain for sure if you dont know what you are doing with it, and expensive even if you do, the amount Ive found out about building them over the last few years has been a lot more than I expected I would need to learn considering the number of other types of engines Ive built previously, they arent just another engine they have some quite specific issues.

He needs to either:

a) Use secondhand standard known working engine with a set of cams lobbed in

b) Get one built by someone who can do so properly and in an ideal world offer a conditional warranty (ie no mechanical over revs!) even with what he is using it for. Potentially someone like Ashford Motorsport might be able to do that?

No point fitting another badly built/spec engine done on the cheap that wont last and then have it fail and lose a fortune in the costs of missing a race that you havent even turned up at, better to save up and buy a better engine that will work, or if the money isnt there for that than accept using standard disposable engines and just lob a set of cams in them so that there is reliability in the redundancy of just having a few laid about, can still fail during a race of course but at least you get to get as far as driving the thing first so dont get nothing at all for your money.

Or sell up and do another series

Or sell up and take up golf, or trackdays, or some other hobby.

This is the kind of news that puts me off spending money upgrading my engine.

As Tony knows I did my first race last month with a standard engine and absolutely loved it! But on several occasions during the races I wished I had more power.

Now I am faced with the prospect of spending £000's on the engine or keep it standard and just enjoy the racing. But knowing if I keep it standard I am never going to win a race.

This is the kind of news that puts me off spending money upgrading my engine.

As Tony knows I did my first race last month with a standard engine and absolutely loved it! But on several occasions during the races I wished I had more power.

Now I am faced with the prospect of spending £000's on the engine or keep it standard and just enjoy the racing. But knowing if I keep it standard I am never going to win a race.

Much more enjoyable when it's cheap and you don't have to worry about it in my opinion.

No offence to you of course, but you could spend 2-3 k on your engine and still not win any races. Big money combined with great drivers up at the front of the grid!

Pretty much what I am thinking.

I wouldn't be able to blame my lack of talent on not having as much power as everyone else otherwise ;)

Much more enjoyable when it's cheap and you don't have to worry about it in my opinion.

No offence to you of course, but you could spend 2-3 k on your engine and still not win any races. Big money combined with great drivers up at the front of the grid!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The piston speeds are horrific, some of the race F4R engines out there are suffering piston speeds that in F1 they managed to keep below on the older 20Krpm F1 engines!, although thats not really what I meant with regards to building them reliable, more to do with oil supply and distribution.

The piston speeds are horrific, some of the race F4R engines out there are suffering piston speeds that in F1 they managed to keep below on the older 20Krpm F1 engines!, although thats not really what I meant with regards to building them reliable, more to do with oil supply and distribution.

I'm aware of the piston speed issues it was the other things you were alluding to that I'm interested in.

So what are the issues with oil supply and distribution?

182cup & 172 racecar
Sometimes CS is a wonderful place.
I'd like thank peeps for all tbe offers of engines, gearboxes? , but most of all whole cars.

Thats very trusting and kind, you know who you are (James-Adam).
Still not decided what to do yet.
Theres always Pistonheads lol.
Thanks again. X

You can definitely feel the love on CS for you and the car Tony.

Don't give up mate. Just drop a standard engine in there and get ready for silverstone.

I might even have a slim chance of keeping up with you if you have a standard engine in it as well.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Not good to hear , scary how many forged bottom ends seem to fail due to clearance issues. One of the reasons I stuck with standard bottom end bar high comp pistons.

182cup & 172 racecar
COME ON!! lol

2014NipponSnettertonRace2207_zps61fac499.jpg

clio cup
I see you have already scrapped the paint of the offside mirror on the floor!

Were you trying to get your knee down?

Chase Racing Clio
Haha, looking good Tony! Ian was telling us about your escapades on sunday, he didn't sound happy that you'd plastered the bonnet.

182cup & 172 racecar
I did it on purpose, I like to wind him up, took a picture of it, along with the trophy and sent it to him.

All in the best possible taste of course.