ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT Broadband - any reason not to?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I'll think you will find BT won the Daily Mail Wooden Spoon award for Customer Service in 2013... TT weren't even in the nomination list :)

1) daily mail readers..
2) BT is totally unlimited broadband, talk talk has traffic shaping in peak times and when using p2p etc..

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't say BT were good. Took me nearly 3 months to get my line working with BT, but it wouldn't have ever happened with talktalk.

Just had a pain getting a line installed at our new house. Granted it's a new build so it's all new cabling for them to sort out, but still it's taken ages to get sorted.

Original order placed November, line went active yesterday but told can't order ADSL on the line until Monday. Although to be fair they've said as we've been waiting so long they are going to put the order through to complete the next day which can't come soon enough.

Just signing up with them initially, then can see if we want to change in future. Was really hoping they'd have cabled the cab up for fibre as it's new but alas they haven't :(

Fabia VRS Special Ed
We have now upgraded to BT Infinity which "should" give us up to 79Mb download speeds, although the tech at BT said it would be more like 60Mb.

I've had it for 9 days and the speed is normally around 6Mb and at best 17Mb which is very rare, so it is a very long way off what it should be.

On another (more alarming) note the connection is dropping all the time. Some days we'll be lucky to go 5 minutes without it going off.

Any ideas?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Can't help with the issues, all I can add is I installed infinity recently and after an initial 30mb for 2 weeks I now rarely see below 76mb wired and my phone connects at 38mb.

That said im sat pretty much on top of the exchange.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Can't help with the issues, all I can add is I installed infinity recently and after an initial 30mb for 2 weeks I now rarely see below 76mb wired and my phone connects at 38mb.

That said im sat pretty much on top of the exchange.

I will be happy with 30Mb, but to be getting such a low speed is a joke to be honest.

Has anybody got the BT Home Hub 5 installed and are running another router (via wired Ethernet) to extend the wireless range? Mine worked perfectly with BT Broadband but the tech at BT said you can't do that with the HH5.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
It takes a while to settle. Mine was up and down to start but i didn't have the drop out issue like you. Faulty hardware in the bt router?

I think a lot of people instantly think that as soon as you get fibre from a 'home' based provider that they will get instantly quoted speeds. The problem is FTTC is just that, fibre to the cabinet, meaning depending on how far away from this you are the slower the speed you will get

Not to mention it will also depend on how many people also use that same cabinet and the main fibre gets shared

Untill everyone has FTTP then things wont really improve for Joe blogs :( unless you want to spend ££££ to get it installed

Last edited:
We have now upgraded to BT Infinity which "should" give us up to 79Mb download speeds, although the tech at BT said it would be more like 60Mb.

I've had it for 9 days and the speed is normally around 6Mb and at best 17Mb which is very rare, so it is a very long way off what it should be.

On another (more alarming) note the connection is dropping all the time. Some days we'll be lucky to go 5 minutes without it going off.

Any ideas?

Do you know how are away from the exchange you are? My guess is that your attenuation is an age long or your SNR is sky high.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
We signed up for BT Broadband when we moved into the apartment right at the end of December. Got it installed towards the end of January - basic unlimited ADSL, though FTTC is apparently here in the next month or two.

Got to admit, aside from Mrs. BT Callcentre giving me the completely wrong username and password (lol) - the service has been rock solid. Max's out at around 11mbps, but regularly just stays at 9mbps with just over 1mbps up. Fine for pretty much everything at the minute - Steam, catch-up TV, PC updates, etc.

D.