ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broadband best for online gaming?

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Well I've been with a company called be there for a year at the end of the month and it's time to renew. I have only been paying 6 quid a month but that offer is over and the price for another year is 13 quid a month. I pay for 1mb upload and 10mb download. They have a good rep for this but I do seem to suffer lag. They do offer a 24 mb download and 2.5mb upload for 20 quid a month. But can they just up the power? Or will I just be paying more for the same package all year?

What's every1 paying for there's and how does it react to online gaming? I will obviously ring be there but there obviously just gonna tell me what I want to hear.

Be are usually highly regarded for speeds. I was with them before I moved house and couldn't fault them. If your having problems with lag, could it be if you're using wireless?

I found this and had to plug a LAN cable in, solved all my problems.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I use home plugs as the phone is down stairs and ps3 in upstairs. I've tested the connection and get upto 7mbs and .700 upload. My ping is 46. I know there is stuff you can do on your router settings but I don't have a pc so it's really hard to do.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Heard nothing bud bad things about Virgin.

I'm with BT, can't beat them for reliability (I have reset my router twice in the 2 years I have been with them) and their customer service is brilliant.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Same with be there really reliable that's why I was thinking of staying with them but with a better package. I've looked around and there speeds are hard to beat it seems.

Listerine & Poledo
for most online gamign you dotn really need much bandwidth. I knew a guy who ran COD through his mobile phone (as a modem) and had no issues with lag.

depends if you're pulling down maps as well as actions I guess

Astra SRI/ Hornet
but if 1 says we give .286 upload and 1 says 1mb upload then chances are the second 1 will be better. so question is valid.

Monaro VXR
Latency and speed aren't related like that though.

You will more than likely get the same pings with low broadband speeds as you would with high broadband speeds.

I know over the years I have had 512/256kb connections and now am on Be top package. My pings in all that time have remained pretty consistent.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
no i get 10mb but what i meant was i have 1mb upload and my provider upgraded package offers more at a cheaper price.

Ford Fiesta
O2 are cheap as chips and mine is fast and reliable with a good UK customer support centre, because I am on O2 I only pay £7.50!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
i'm with SWBroadband Kev and before i was paying £18.49 for 25GB, ever since i was with them been getting much better connection for MW2, he even set up my router for me ready to plug in. here is the site. Now i've decided to pay £22.49 for 40GB per month which is better for me. and to be honest is has risen yet again my download speed.

http://www.swbroadband.co.uk/broadband-adsl.html

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's all about the ping IMO

Car carrying a packet of crisps at 65mph is faster than a lorry carrying a packet of crisps at 45mph.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
my ping it 39 a Grade A, which is what you need for gaming n that