ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Robocop - Rogue City

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I bought a gaming PC off here, last year. It was primarily for driving sim action.
I still play PS3 and have nothing newer than that, console wise.
I also still play football manager 2013.

I'm tight also.
I am obviously not the right person to review any game made in the last 10 years.

I stepped into modern gaming with Stadia and that bit me in the arse.

However, I saw this on YouTube and had to have it. Luckily my PC plays it!

Graphics are superb and the nostalgia is spot on. It's basically a 1st person shooter, but there's enough to keep me entertained. Little things like manning the desk at the precinct was an enjoyable 5 minutes.

I can imagine it's going to get very 'samey' but it's got me hooked.

Anyone else given it a go?

1000000630.jpg

1000000632.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep.

Nabbed it just prior to Christmas and played it through. Here's my Steam review of it - but it does contain some spoilers if you want to avoid them!

***** CONTAINS SEVERAL SPOILERS - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED *****

I took a punt on this game, being a bit unsure as what to expect. I have fond memories of the Robocop arcade game that I once spent far too much money on during a holiday to Spain - and the original Robocop game that was released on the Amiga. If the Robocop universe had a love-child with the Kingpin : Life of Crime game from 1999 - you would have a very close result within Rogue City.

First off - kudos to the devs in catching the vision of a miserable, despairing near-future Detroit. It's a run-down, desolate and unwelcoming place. The Unreal Engine genuinely looks great in the majority of places - and for reference, a 3070Ti easily handles the game set to Ultra in the graphics settings, whilst displaying out at 1440.

Robocop's own movement from the FPS perspective through which you play the majority of the game is rewarded with the THUD-THONK noise of his heavy footsteps. He can sprint of a fashion, but don't expect acrobatic displays here. He can neither crouch nor jump - making you feel far more exposed and cumbersome than you do in the majority of FPSs. Yet that is keeping faithful to the character and his sense of (non) movement.

SO, WHAT'S THE GOOD?

- This game single-handedly, introduces the finest pistol to any FPS that I can recall. Often a secondary thought - something to flick to when you're on your last few rounds of your primary weapon and sometimes, even ignored altogether. Not in Robocop. It's loud, accurate, functional and with a proper sense of feedback. Couple that with the weapon's unique ability to be upgraded via various PCBs in a mini-game puzzle, meant that I used the fast-firing hand-cannon for the majority of my time in the game.

- The destruction of scenery within the game is well portrayed. Bullets rip chunks out of brick pillars, boarded cover for enemies can be whittled down with suppressing fire.

- The maps and levels are well detailed throughout - some of them being fairly large in size too.

- The omnipresent OCP provides some funny dialogue - especially within the headquarters building over the tannoy system. One telling 'staff not to expect a day off work after being shot', I recall - highlighting the OTT aspect of the violence and undertone of the game and backdrop setting.

- The customisation of the main gun is a fun mini-game in routing paths on a PCB. If you did this often, it would become tiresome, but it does provide a welcome change from the usual FPS view.

....AND WHAT'S NOT SO GOOD?

- Arguably, the biggest problem with Robocop is the fact that the enemy opposition is stupidly dumb. Like, beyond shockingly dumb. Removing the head of an enemy in a barrage of lead, instigates no different behaviour from the remainder of bad guys in the room or immediate area. No diving for cover - no running away in an act of self-preservation. They literally wait their turn to be shot. This is exaggerated even further by the fact that Robo can enter a bullet-time mode upon breaching a door. Now you have even more time to take accurate headshots and render the occupants of the room dead within seconds. The highest level of dumbery that I witnessed was during a bank heist where Robo AND three ED-209 units were faced against a handful of gang members equipped with a couple of sidearms. It was so ridiculously one-sided, that I didn't really have to bother in taking out the enemies myself.

- Pop-in textures. Not so much when playing the FPS portions of the game - but during the dialogue sequences going back and forth between Robo and various NPCs where often textures pop-in during mid conversation. After a while, it becomes really off-putting and rather jarring to the rest of the game being fluid in appearance.

- The dialogue sequences themselves are very frequent and involve nothing more than clicking one of three or four responses. These can be skipped through by pressing the Spacebar, but be prepared to listen to a LOT of dialogue, should you want the full experience. At one point, I was heading to various dialogue points and quest markers and couldn't fire the gun (as the game hides it during these moments) for well over twenty minutes. Robocop the game had descended into a walking simulator and clicking various audio responses that you felt were relevant at the time.

- The various tasks and missions facing Robo range from the aggressive and highly enjoyable, to ones bordering the realms of satire. Running (ahem, walking a bit more quickly) around the police station to get various staff to sign Lewis's 'get well' card, was just grating.

- It's surprisingly easy for an armoured, heavy and determined Robo to become stuck on the most trivial of scenery. A small paving stone. A little metal post. All of which you have to backup from and walk around.

- The game sadly, isn't that difficult - at least when played on the Normal difficulty setting. I would like to believe that this represents a nice balance from the devs of presenting a challenge, whilst allowing the player some safety margin. When played on Normal, I didn't die once in the entire playthrough. A couple of occasions I triggered a bomb which meant that the checkpoint had to be reloaded - but from enemy opposition themselves, there was little threat. Again, this is made worse by the fact that Robo has a skill tree that you can expand through the acquisition of skill points. One of those increases your armour rating, along with how many OCP maintenance 'health packs' you can carry at any one given time. There's also the ability to unlock a self-heal through fuse panels on the wall - effectively making you immortal towards the end of the game. Remember, the goons facing you may start to get better gear - but they are all still dispatched easily with accurate headshots. As a sideline to the difficulty level, I managed to acquire all twenty-seven achievements in my 14.4hrs of playthrough. Nothing is really too troublesome to attain or to defeat.

- No fast travel. Not a major issue usually, but a pain when your character barely manages a fast-walk.

- Crazy rag-doll deaths. Legs bent back, bodies upside-down against the wall, heads snapped to clearly broken angle - all from being shot once.

- 'Boss' levels are surprisingly easy to work through. As your pistol has unlimited ammo, simply hide around a corner then step out, empty a clip into the enemy, step back to reload and then repeat.

- Bodies disappear way too quickly. I appreciate the graphics memory issues and wanting to reduce excessive assets stored in memory - but kill some, turn around and then look back and often there is just their dropped weapon on the floor. Oh, and half of their brains and cranium remain splattered about - but no body. Them disappearing like that adds further disbelief to the game.

- "I'm hit!" "I'm going to kill you!" - and several other common phrases are shouted by gang members when you have just detached their heads from their shoulders. I'm no human physiology expert - but I assume you need your skull and throat in order to speak?

- The background audio of downtown areas especially, sounds like it has been recorded in a plastic tube. Very hollow and weirdly 'echoey'.

- Robo's skill tree feels a bit like an after-thought. It gives the player something else to strive for - but it's very easy to make your character virtually untouchable with the correct unlocks applied.

TL : DR

In essence, a good looking and enjoyable FPS, let down by excessive use of dialogue encounters and utterly brain-dead opposition. If you like nothing better than to execute moronic hoodlums - then this is the game for you. If you're expecting more tactical and thought-provoking firefights - perhaps stay away.

Overall, 7/10

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I played a couple of hours. Looks good and it's fairly fun popping bad guys heads, but combat does get a bit repetitive. It's also weird that the standard issue pistol is by far the best weapon in the game, there's no incentive to pick anything else up, but I can forgive it because it's such an awesome gun.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I'm not 100% with the controls, but when I right click to aim, it does that target thing, like in the movie. But sometimes it actually fires as well - as if on its own. I'd not pressed to fire, just aim 🤷

But yet the original gun is mint. I thought it fired more bursts in the film, than it does in the game. But you can improve it or something... With chips or sommat.

I darent read the review above just yet.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not 100% with the controls, but when I right click to aim, it does that target thing, like in the movie. But sometimes it actually fires as well - as if on its own. I'd not pressed to fire, just aim 🤷

But yet the original gun is mint. I thought it fired more bursts in the film, than it does in the game. But you can improve it or something... With chips or sommat.

I darent read the review above just yet.
Yeah - you pickup little PCBs that you can enter a mini-game to improve the stats of the handgun.

It's literally a flow puzzle, where you add nodes that you either pickup or combine from other nodes - to make an 'electricity' path to an upgrade. Those can be like +20% fire rate, but directly facing it could be a -15% damage one. If you apply a T-shaped node before them, you get both the positive and negative effects.

Obviously, the main aim is to collect all the positive upgrades and none of the crap ones. Higher rated PCBs have bigger pros and cons on them.

Probably haven't explained it well enough there, but you'll get the gist of it from below.

960x0.png

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Picked it up on CDKeys also, good game. Think my graphics card struggles a touch.

Doesn't seem to be as many options in the graphics menu to enable/disable stuff, is Ray Tracing on by default?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I’m enjoying it, but I don’t think it’s a great game.

The combat mechanics are a bit clunky, the maps are slow and repetitive, and if you want to get the most perks you have to stop the flow through every mission to search for “evidence” items and side quests. It just feels very padded out.

I was immediately a bit put off that you take a fair bit of damage from small arms fire. Grenades and rifles plus anything heavier I totally understand, but Robocop taking damage from pistols and SMGs is just dumb.

That said, you’re Robocop FFS, it’s so cool. The environment is spot on, The sound effects are great.

If it wasn’t for that, it would be toss so I think how much you enjoy it relies very much on how much you buy in to and enjoy some virtual roleplay in that world. Overall I’m definitely enjoying it despite the problems.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Played through most of this, have to say it's been lazily made.

I've played the same sodding map 3 times over already, plus after every mission you're back at the sodding police station to piss around. The graphics aren't bad but for a brand new game running the latest UE5 engine, it's not very impressive.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Played through most of this, have to say it's been lazily made.

I've played the same sodding map 3 times over already, plus after every mission you're back at the sodding police station to piss around. The graphics aren't bad but for a brand new game running the latest UE5 engine, it's not very impressive.
I must admit - with my <15 hours in the game and having all the achievements - I doubt I return to it.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea, play through once and you're done. It's fun being RoboCop, and it's not a bad game, it's just not pushing any boundaries.

I would have been annoyed if I paid PS5 game kinda money for it tho, the £20 or so from CDKeys I did pay seemed about right.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yea, play through once and you're done. It's fun being RoboCop, and it's not a bad game, it's just not pushing any boundaries.

I would have been annoyed if I paid PS5 game kinda money for it tho, the £20 or so from CDKeys I did pay seemed about right.

I'm probably only about half way through it but I mirror that thought. I'm enjoying it but combat is clunky - it should at least have the ability to snap to cover. A lot of the side quests are just annoying filler but I feel like I need to complete them to get the most upgrades.

I know the combat style they're going for is basically that Robo is a tank as in the movies but that only works when he's impervious to anything but heavy/explosive weapons or a really heavy concentration of rifle fire.

Definitely worth £20 or so but if I'd paid full price I'd be pretty unhappy.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Beefing the armour really helped, and max the health out so you get auto-regen, that made a huge difference in big fights.

Also go for the legs. Don't worry about headshots or anything, take the leg clean out and they'll scream and die.
Helps massively with later armoured enemies and the mini-boss types.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Finished it.

@Darren S your review is 100% spot on. By the time I'd upgraded to auto-heal, full armour and 50% of the combat tree I was basically unstoppable unless I did something incredibly stupid.

Glad I played it, can't see me going back to it, worth what I paid.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Finished it.

@Darren S your review is 100% spot on. By the time I'd upgraded to auto-heal, full armour and 50% of the combat tree I was basically unstoppable unless I did something incredibly stupid.

Glad I played it, can't see me going back to it, worth what I paid.

That f**king mission near the end, where you've gotta disarm a bomb and not shoot any of the explosive barrels in one room.

Died so many times.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
That f**king mission near the end, where you've gotta disarm a bomb and not shoot any of the explosive barrels in one room.

Died so many times.

I ended up just wading in there and punching most of them to death, because they had handguns and I’d buffed my armour so they were basically just amusing squishy things 😂

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Died so many times.
Simple 'trick' on that. Don't use the main gun - it's too powerful with burst fire and a little erratic for that mission.

I killed some goon, and just picked up his standard pistol, walking through that level doing single shots where necessary.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Simple 'trick' on that. Don't use the main gun - it's too powerful with burst fire and a little erratic for that mission.

I killed some goon, and just picked up his standard pistol, walking through that level doing single shots where necessary.

Yeah I was having real trouble with the main gun, until I remembered that one of my buffs was frag bullets. Yeah, probably not ideal for that mission 😂

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I had it on single shot with the penetrating bullet buff. Not ideal tbh.

Then it took multiple attempts to defuse the bomb, because I didn't read the instructions properly.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Despite what I said earlier, I played through it again in the mode which leaves you with all the upgrades you had when finished the last game.

So much more fun. Skipped all the dialogue, wondered around like a tank, still some situations where you'd get pasted if you were stupid.

Honestly all that's really wrong with the game is some of the side missions are tedious padding and how they handle the weapon damage. I may even play it again but this time see if I can kill everyone by shooting them in the balls, because that's hilarious and I'm a child.