ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought a GT 128 VVT

GT 128 VVT
Although i know a lot of people dont like them here, i went ahead and bought one last weekend. reason i didnt go for 197 was im only 20 with 1 year NCB so would be quite hard to pay insurance for it and the 128 is not too bad a year (1100) fully comp with break down cover.
so far im loving it ! a decent upgrade in my eyes from my mk 2 1.2
anyway heres a pic!
GT_VVT_128.jpg

GT 128 VVT
Nothing wrong with that squire. Good purchase. Enjoy it :blush: :smile:
well i bought it without looking on here and it was like all horror storys so was quite scared to be honest but i cant really see anything wrong with it!

GT 128 VVT
Think they look nice. Needs 17's and lowering though
i was thinking the same but with it being my daily drive i wouldnt know how low to have it without it causing a lot of problems

Looks nice mate, I'd get some spacers as wheels on the Mk3 look lost even on the 197/200s
yeah i agree i am going to get around to ordering some stuff for it after chrsitmas probally

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
yeah i think it would look decent yeah might do it then but what 17" alloys would you recommend i just wanty subtle ones if that makes sense haha

It's all about personal taste. I've got megane nervasports as I really like the look of them.
There's a few 17's in the renault range.

GT 128 VVT
It's all about personal taste. I've got megane nervasports as I really like the look of them.
There's a few 17's in the renault range.
no renault ones i have seen stand out to me i will have to have a look see if any catch my eye

Clio 172 Flamer
Very nice mate, insurance is probably about right at 20 with 1 year bonus unfortunately! A lot of money none the less!

GT 128 VVT
Looks beautiful but your insurance seems expensive?

Very nice mate, insurance is probably about right at 20 with 1 year bonus unfortunately! A lot of money none the less!

It's just im 19 1 years ncb all mods declared on a 182 for sub 900 so I dunno haha
I live in bradford which was voted the highest number of uninsured drivers in the UK so as you can imagine insurance is terrible a friend who live a few mile away is paying nearly 3k for a 1.6 golf fsi

BG Clio 182
I live in bradford which was voted the highest number of uninsured drivers in the UK so as you can imagine insurance is terrible a friend who live a few mile away is paying nearly 3k for a 1.6 golf fsi
I can imagine actually it's not too bad that is it then :) haha looks a lovely car!

Yeah I guess it ia smaller. Its weird cos I used to be able to stand up in the rear of my old one and put my sons car seat in whereas the 172 I can't. There is more room inside them than people think.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
The missus used to have one of those in Black, nice car once we got the coilpacks changed so it would run properly. Always felt it was a good chassis crying out for more power, still fun on the right road though.

Sadly some arsehole parked their van in the back of it and wrote it off :(

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Always felt it was a good chassis crying out for more power, still fun on the right road though.

my DCI one was like that, the big heavy car suited the torque of the diesel for making pace down a twisty road, it was better on most of the s**t roads up here than my cupped 200 was! it used to bang and bounce all over the shop!

these handle closer to a 200 than they do a Dynamique S, I drove a mapped 135bhp dynamique S and it was bloddy horrible! so much body roll and understeer

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Looks a bit fussy being near the number plate imo. You could get a plain number plate :smile: should sort it out and will look much better anyway!

GT 128 VVT
Looks a bit fussy being near the number plate imo. You could get a plain number plate :smile: should sort it out and will look much better anyway!
i thought that but im going to be getting a private plate in the coming months so i will be getting a custom plate mate it was gpoing to go under it but i thought it looked better there and then at least more noticable for other members to spot me! haha

GT 128 VVT
I like the look of these but id always be thinking "I want a 200" in the back of my head. Whats the performance like??
when i went to look at it the fella had a 197 so had a look at it and tbh i think the interior on the GT is much nicer than the RS so i choose the GT but also the insurance would kill me on the RS. and not too bad at all i had a 1.2 clio so obviously to me its a lot faster but in my eyes its quick enough for uk roads and to get me out of sticky situations so to speak

At your age insurance is a killer anyway isnt it. 197's are still a bit pricey for my liking and the 200 is the one to have although like you say the interior isnt amazing. Does this have the same basic engine as the Twingo 133? I know ktec do some nice upgrades for that so might be a consideration down the line.

GT 128 VVT
At your age insurance is a killer anyway isnt it. 197's are still a bit pricey for my liking and the 200 is the one to have although like you say the interior isnt amazing. Does this have the same basic engine as the Twingo 133? I know ktec do some nice upgrades for that so might be a consideration down the line.
i think it does have the same engine as the twingo and the interior in mine id say looks better than the 197 interior but thats my opinion. i dont thinik £1300 a year fully comp inc breakdown cover is THAT bad for my second year driving. i am looking at some upgrades to it but not a lot maybe lower it and get some spacers on the back to fill the gap a bit better

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's the same engine as the Twingo.

Performance is..... better than the 1.2 ;)

Seriously though it's no hot hatch but does at least have better shocks on it than the standard cars. Much less roll and better control through the corners.

GT 128 VVT
Yeah it's the same engine as the Twingo.

Performance is..... better than the 1.2 :wink:

Seriously though it's no hot hatch but does at least have better shocks on it than the standard cars. Much less roll and better control through the corners.
Well I haven't driven a 197 so until then it's quick for me! ;)

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
:) Yeah, everything's relative.
We test drove a few Clios when shopping for my wife's and the GT felt like a rocket ship after trying a couple of 1.2s. We'd still have it now had it not been written off.