ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bonnet catch letter,

1998 BMW e46 323i
^it's not just me they fobbed off then. I'm booked in a week sat. They'd better replace it.

The official Renault guidelines is an hour, we are only booking them on hour waiting appointments although alot of customers are choosing to leave the car with us while they are at work and pick it up in the evening.

I wouldn't think you would have much luck just turning up, you would more than likely get turned away, they have recalled all the Clio 2's and alot of customers have waited a few weeks for their waiting slot, they may be able to squeeze you in but I wouldn't get shitty as you've effectively jumped the que. There is also currently a recall on the early megane scenics on the door mirror control unit, this is again taking up alot of waiting slots.
Most dealerships will be carrying the catches, but it is up to them if they want to replace it, there is no guarantee you will get a new catch if there is signs of corrosion then they may well replace it, if its in good condition they won't simple as that. The responsibility lies with the dealer so if they have any doubt they will replace it.
In terms of throwing the letter in the bin, I would imagine your insurance company will be expecting you to have the recall done.
Hope this helps.

Lots of Alfas
Is it now officially a recall Alex?? Ive had the letter but chucked it because I have always greased the catch with high melting castor grease way before all this came about.

Yep recall number 2.
Its worth getting it done even if you maintain it yourself, just so that if it ever did fail you would have a leg to stand on.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
can i get mine checked even if i havent recieved a letter from renault????

just take it in matey, any spec of rust and it will be replaced, at my garage u can turn up anytime with or without the recall letter and it will be done rite away, only takes 5 mins (2x 10mm nuts)

Monaco Blue Mk2
I had the first letter telling me to go and get it checked a while back. I didn't bother. I haven't had this letter to go and get it changed though.

1998 BMW e46 323i
thanks for your input alexs. they found rust on mine but didn't replace it. That's not a proper recall from my point of view.

thanks for your input alexs. they found rust on mine but didn't replace it. That's not a proper recall from my point of view.

No worries mate.
Go to a different dealership if your really worried about it, or get back in touch with RUK.
Any signs of corrosion and we replace the catch, although it seems to vary from dealer to dealer.

1998 BMW e46 323i
i was back in touch with RUK, they've made me an app. with another dealer week sat, 45 min slot. We'll see what happens. Which bit is at fault, top bit on bonnet or bottom on slam panel thing?

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Took mine in today. Complete and utter waste of time.

Took them 45 minutes to spray my engine bay (and windscreen) with wd40. Not only that, but their
"visual heathcheck" shows that the same tyres i went in with a year ago have 2mm more tread that they did last time they checked them! Amazing.

After picture:
[imgo]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/MarkyDotCom/cs/IMGP1132.jpg[/imgo]

Last edited:
  Golf
Got a letter bout mine the other week for a routine check, it was fine just needed greasing but the cleaned and had a quick hoover inside me car aswell, saved me a job because it was manky off ford fair

Lots of Alfas
Cant beleive they are using wd40, especially on the 172/182s as the bay gets really hot even there and it will soon be all gone.

Clio Sport 172
Ive not long had my Clio, its a 172 02 plate, does this fall into the recalls?

It is strange me finding this thread, as my bonnet is currently completly stuck! As in wont open at all when i pull the level in the footwell!

Is this likely to be caused due to the reasons why Renault have made the recall?

Cheers

White APE
When did they start sending out the letters? Ive not received anything about mine. Will get down there soon when i can though to get it looked at.

Clio Sport 172
Cheers mate i will do.

Will the fact that it now wont open at all affect them doing the recall? Dont wanna get down there for them to say that unless the bonnet opens they cant do the recall???

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
mine went in for its 36k service not a renault dealer and they changed it didnt even realise until i opend the bonnet

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
How would Renault have my address BTW?

I've got an 04 Dynamique, Do i need mine changing? Whats the issue with it?

Lots of Alfas
How would Renault have my address BTW?

I've got an 04 Dynamique, Do i need mine changing? Whats the issue with it?

From the DVLA (the first lot of letters used owner info that was several months out of date). Its all Clio IIs, need to take to renault for them to decide if it needs replacing. The issue on the ph1s is that the metal safety catch/slider part corrodes so if you dont shut the bonnet properly the safety catch gets stuck and could fail causing the bonnet to lift at speed. Most ph2s have a plastic slider but that also needs lubrication for it to work properly.

Last edited:
  Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
Will it include euro imported one's too? As everytime I ring them up I have to give the vin number as they can never find it through its number plate. jsut wondered if that might mean they won't look at mine as it's an import.

Faded trophy
my catch on my clio dosnt work propely now is there a chance ican get it done 4 free by reno cus iv herd there is a problem wiv them all lol

1998 BMW e46 323i
They replaced mine this morning. Two visits, plenty of annoyed calls to reno UK (who were v.nice actually) an hour wait the first time, and an hour and a half this morning later and I'm sorted.

1998 BMW e46 323i
All cars have recalls, but yeah this particular problem should NEVER have happened and Reno shouldn't have dragged their heals.

Black 182 FF
I've heard about this problem before from a mate who used to work in a paint shop - will it affect the 182 I'm getting on monday?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Ive not long had my Clio, its a 172 02 plate, does this fall into the recalls?

It is strange me finding this thread, as my bonnet is currently completly stuck! As in wont open at all when i pull the level in the footwell!

Is this likely to be caused due to the reasons why Renault have made the recall?

Cheers

Had it checked out on my old 01 plate last year and got it done without having had the letter-just heard about it & didnt fancy it going wrong.

Needless to say all they did was spunk some wd40 all over and whack a sticker next to it to say it'd been looked at.

p.

Skoda Fabia vRS
just thought i'd update you all. The dealer told me 20 mins, kept me waiting for an hour. They left my lights on and just greased the old catch! Was in a rush to get to work, but went back asked what they'd done and was told they'd greased the catch. I voiced my concerns at the time they'd taken and the risks i faced as the catch mech' had rusted. The girl checked with someone and told me before a fault occurs they will not replace it! I said after the mech' faulters it's too late! Had to leave and i've just got off the phone with reno uk. Who've given me a case ref and are going to speak with the dealership and feedback today. Doesn't surprise me in the least TBH. Stealers!

john, i work at St Helens, at the time the protocol was just to inspect and lubricate, since ive come back off holiday things seem to have changed, we replaced 4 on sunday, the girl on service reception and the lads in the workshop are only following what they are told to by Renault, you cant just go sending things back under warranty if they havent failed, Renault check the parts, they get sent back for inspection, things change however when its a blanket recall but im not certain on what the latest is with the catches ive only been back a few days

172 ph2
Will it include euro imported one's too? As everytime I ring them up I have to give the vin number as they can never find it through its number plate. jsut wondered if that might mean they won't look at mine as it's an import.

Mines a euro import and I got the letter through this morning, recorded delivery no less - lucky I was in to sign for it.

I don't know if I can be bothered going though, mine looks perfect with no signs of corrosion... Is it actually worth my time or are the defects hidden so to speak.

Also mentions they will do a 10 point vechile check

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Phase 1
I recently got this letter too. Thought mine was ok because i had it looked at when i bought it, but thought id get it checked over anyway.
Took it today and they said it had signs of corrosion and renault replaced it.

defiantly worth doing even if yours is ok