ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Sounds like you had a brilliant day mate. That's the main thing that scares me about going on track is the speed cars will come up from behind.

Good to hear the car took the abuse all day though car looks awesome out on track too. Love it mate.

182cup & 172 racecar
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

I think it was a slightly frustrating day, which was mainly because of the weather and the knobs who insisted on going off and stopping progress.

TDF have built a neat well sorted little car, but then I would have been disappointed if it had been anything else.

As James says, a few little things need sorting, but that's what testing is for.

We couldn't get a proper little session going because of the afore mentioned stoppages, we needed a good run run of 3/4 laps then in, make a change then back out for 3/4 laps.

This is the only way to go forward, but I think James has now got the idea of what we were trying to achieve and where we were going with the set up changes, shame we ran out of time.

James is a good listener and didn't mind me shouting at him, and me giving him rude hand signals.

No way I could of driven the car, I would of felt like Ronnie Corbett with his feet dangling down lol.

Golf GTD Mk7
Lol tony. What were you bollocking him for?

Nice write up James. Did look like a high spec field. What's the longest run you've managed now? Assuming you end up doing 24hr britcar, do you have a co-driver in mind also?

Evo 5 RS

The way everyone's talking I'm imagining James to be 7ft 5 lol. Great write up mate, bit of an intimidating fleet you had there

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i am sure my seat rails are further back than james'
and i measured them

sounds a bit gay but i had a shiver reading your post, (donny update) just made me feel all happy,
great read and i am glad people haven't ruined this thread moaning about you not building it....

a credit to all

Sounds like you had a brilliant day mate. That's the main thing that scares me about going on track is the speed cars will come up from behind.

Good to hear the car took the abuse all day though car looks awesome out on track too. Love it mate.
Thank you very much :) Its not too bad normally but you just have to have your wits about you and it was just a bit of shame as I spent so much time looking in the mirrors as the last thing I want is to have a crash before we have really got the car going! :)

I think it was a slightly frustrating day, which was mainly because of the weather and the knobs who insisted on going off and stopping progress.

TDF have built a neat well sorted little car, but then I would have been disappointed if it had been anything else.

As James says, a few little things need sorting, but that's what testing is for.

We couldn't get a proper little session going because of the afore mentioned stoppages, we needed a good run run of 3/4 laps then in, make a change then back out for 3/4 laps.

This is the only way to go forward, but I think James has now got the idea of what we were trying to achieve and where we were going with the set up changes, shame we ran out of time.

James is a good listener and didn't mind me shouting at him, and me giving him rude hand signals.

No way I could of driven the car, I would of felt like Ronnie Corbett with his feet dangling down lol.
Thanks Tony, I knew I had forgotten something in my write up that was it the amount of stoppages was really frustrating!

Yes as you say it wasn't really an ideal day because of all the stoppages but I do feel happier and more confident in the car so hopefully next time out we can focus on the setup and bit more and get up to speed a bit quicker :)

Thank you well I would be pretty foolish not to listen to your advice and thanks for the hand signals I really couldn't hear a thing ;)

I can get the seat further forwards if you ever want a drive I would love you to give it a drive and then we can see what it will really do! Maybe at Bruntinghthorpe at some point if you fancy!
Lol tony. What were you bollocking him for?

Nice write up James. Did look like a high spec field. What's the longest run you've managed now? Assuming you end up doing 24hr britcar, do you have a co-driver in mind also?
Thanks Jonny, I think it was mainly trying to get across what he was trying to say while in the car its pretty noisy :) Stuff like I was changing down for corners too late which now I have had a look back at one of the video's I don't have a clue what I was doing but it felt okay at the time :S lol

I am not sure what longest run was but we have certainly put lots of hours on the car now which is what I wanted. The car was out on circuit most of the time that the track was actually open which was really good but like Tony said the stoppages were a bit of a joke!

In the long run it would be great to do and I think once I get back into the rhythm of driving I can be fairly consistent so it would be interesting. To do Britcar though I need to get myself up to speed and then get some decent results as otherwise I would stand no chance of getting the sponsors required to do Britcar. No co-driver's in mind really, the seats would just be sold out to create funds to run at the event

P.S I found that fuel pump cover and it has all clips in tact, I have put it in my car and will give it to Matt this week when I see him ready for you to collect when you are there :) Dont worry about the couple of quid for it its FOC to you! :)
The way everyone's talking I'm imagining James to be 7ft 5 lol. Great write up mate, bit of an intimidating fleet you had there
Haha only 6ft 3 but I am just generally BIG (read as fat) lol ;)
i am sure my seat rails are further back than james'
and i measured them

sounds a bit gay but i had a shiver reading your post, (donny update) just made me feel all happy,
great read and i am glad people haven't ruined this thread moaning about you not building it....

a credit to all
From looking at your photos Neil I think yours are a little further forwards and its also the side mounts I have for the seat set it back even further still!

Thank you for the very kind comments mate I really appreciate them and it is nice to hear :) You should come along to one of the track days and come out in the car, you are always welcome so just give me a shout :) Also it's nice to know that you like the write up as writing has never been my strong point and I thought I had written it too long and boring lol!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

From looking at your photos Neil I think yours are a little further forwards and its also the side mounts I have for the seat set it back even further still!

Thank you for the very kind comments mate I really appreciate them and it is nice to hear :) You should come along to one of the track days and come out in the car, you are always welcome so just give me a shout :) Also it's nice to know that you like the write up as writing has never been my strong point and I thought I had written it too long and boring lol!

i did compare photos straight after writing my previous statement...lol
I will aim to come along to something, ultimately getting the car there would be great but i am not rushing it and this year is already looking a struggle, you got a kind of calendar for what you are attending?

Two 0 Shitx

Vids are needed tbh! Nice car.

Just read cover to cover guys! Congratulations on a fantastic build :D

182cup & 172 racecar

Just let me know when your off to Brunters, I'll see if I can make it.

Some techy engine info:

- Total engine run time off idle = 9hrs 37 mins
- Total engine run time above 6000RPM = 2hrs 12 mins
- Peak engine speed recorded = 7989RPM
- Peak engine oil temperature = 122 degrees C
- Peak engine coolant temperature = 101 degrees C
- Average engine coolant temperature = 94 degrees C

.......... and nothing has fallen off, gone wrong or broken. The only current issue is slight play in an outer CV, the driveshafts are the only original bits of the car ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm looking forward to all this data recording. I'll probably spend more time on the laptop than on track :oops:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Matt, what operating system do you need to get the data from the ec1? and can anyone have the software needed?

Yes software is free. All you need for comms with the ECU is a CAN Interface. Any will work by ours at £89 is the cheapest out there and of course preconfigured for EC. Plug in, click connect, click download data - it's that easy, you can also view the engine log book live.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Cheers fellas.
Added to list :S

Thanks everyone for the great comments :) I will try and get the video off my friends phone as the in car seems like it was only switched on when we had red flags although I will go through it this week and see if I can find any laps!
i did compare photos straight after writing my previous statement...lol
I will aim to come along to something, ultimately getting the car there would be great but i am not rushing it and this year is already looking a struggle, you got a kind of calendar for what you are attending?
Haha I had to double check myself ;) lol

That would be good Neil would be even better with the car :) I wouldn't rush it if I were you at the end of the day it is going to be an awesome car and to get it to that level it will take time!

The only fixed calendar I have is the races that I plan to enter these are Brands 7th May, Anglesey 30th June, Donington 15th/16th September and Oulton 6th October. The plan other than this is to get to as many track days as possible and just build up my experience to prepare as best as possible for CSCC :) I am doing Anglesey on the 11th March and also hoping to do Brands on either the 14th March or the 3rd April and then first race at Brands. After this I will see how it is going and then work out a plan :)
Just let me know when your off to Brunters, I'll see if I can make it.
Nice one Tony that would be great, I think we will get it confirmed tomorrow so will let you know ASAP!
- Peak engine speed recorded = 7989RPM

.......... and nothing has fallen off, gone wrong or broken. The only current issue is slight play in an outer CV, the driveshafts are the only original bits of the car ;)
My bad with the engine speed :eek: send my sincere apologies to the valves ;)

Pretty impressive Matt I am over the moon with the reliability as I was expecting seen as how the whole car had been taken apart and so many new items fitted that we would have teething problems but it has been absolutely flawless so thank you!
Plug in, click connect, click download data - it's that easy, you can also view the engine log book live.
Got to say this was pretty trick seeing it in action on Saturday and a very nice techie feature of the ECU!
Added to list :S
Haha the ever increasing list Colin ;)

182cup & 172 racecar

Our list has started again:rolleyes:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much, must make all the cost/effort etc feel worth it :)

Yes Chip it certainly does and I always look forward to getting back on track in it :)

The plan from the beginning of the project was to go down the Matt Grey and Orange colour scheme hence the rocker cover. Well today I took the plunge and dropped off my set of wheels for the wet tyres at CAS coatings, I have gone for RAL 2004 which is the colour of the car below
f89e76f2.jpg

Hopefully one of my friends can bring them down to me at the back end of the week and then I can try them on the car on Friday when I go to the workshop. If they look good and the I am happy with the colour then I will be painting the bullets, diamonds and wing mirror caps to match. If I don't like the colour then it's only on the set of wets so hopefully won't see them too often lol ;)

The car will be back out at the end of the week to try out a few bits and pieces and to get some more milage on it! Can't wait :)

Clio 172

James I was hoping you'd get some pictures up from Friday and they didn't disappoint. I have to say the quality of metal on the track must have been a bit scary especially as most of them were twice the size and twice as fast as you. I made up for not going by having a top class day at Oulton so I'm not too gutted I missed out on being there but if your back in the midlands region again I will endevour to get down to see the car and say hi. I can't add any expertise I'm afraid but I'm good with a camera and not too shabby with waving flags/banners.

Thanks for the comments mate :) I wouldn't say it was scary but the main problem was I was there with a trackday mentality and they were all in racer mode which is where it got a bit dangerous really. Thats good mate I'm glad you had a good day! Thank you mate and you are always welcome to come, I am sure we will be at Donington again fairly soon so I will put it up on here when we are going! :)

Clio 172

As long as you give a notification I shall be there.

Yes guvvv ;) After my poor experience from gold track the other day then I think I will avoiding them in future!

220 Trophy

James, don’t go overboard on the colour-coding!! IMO I think orange mirrors would look smart with the orange wheels but the badges etc might look a bit OTT. (Orange should really be kept for wishbones, rear-beams and ARB's!!)

Yes I was never really too sure how far to take it so I think it will be trial and error at least it will only be the cost of 1/2 litre of paint :) (Haha thats a nice coincidence :p)

220 Trophy

Satin black bullets and diamonds would look good against the grey bodywork and then the orange wheels and mirrors would add a bit of colour but not too much to spoil it.

That isn't a bad idea Mark, I will have a think over the next week or so before I do them, The main aim is to get the car to stand out but as you say this will probably happen with the wheels!

220 Trophy

I'f it were me personally James I would probably spray the mirrors satin black along with the other little bits and then have some fun with the loud wheels. If you want to add some extra colour afterwards then do the mirrors as well.

I will have a think and probably just decide when I go to buy the paint ;) lol! I like last minute decisions they are always the best :D