ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Car was all sorted running and drive really well, started doing the geo but then noticed the rebuilt gearbox leaking oil from the join in the casings :(! Going to monitor it but Bedford is off the cards as can't get the gearbox out, fixed and back in :( going to do Brands in a few weeks instead.

clio cup
Still space a rockingham on the 20th of this month James, but at a guess would be pushing for that too,

Be good to see you though if your not doing anything that day, you can make the tea!

Thats bad news about the gear box mate

Still space a rockingham on the 20th of this month James, but at a guess would be pushing for that too,

Be good to see you though if your not doing anything that day, you can make the tea!

Thats bad news about the gear box mate
Thanks mate yeah will take a few weeks to sort but will speak with gripper first and see what they say.

Would be good but I'm working that day :(

Hope you have a good day! AST's turn up?

clio cup
No AST's yet, were supposed to be here Thursday gone,
Its given me the time to wire all my Race technology stuff in, feels like I'm back at school with all the learning of the software, Programing, then re programing, programing again, then re programing. lol

No AST's yet, were supposed to be here Thursday gone,
Its given me the time to wire all my Race technology stuff in, feels like I'm back at school with all the learning of the software, Programing, then re programing, programing again, then re programing. lol

Lol imagined as much they have a slight reputation for similar haha!

Good stuff well if you need a hand just let me know I know my way round the software fairly well :)

Car was all sorted running and drive really well, started doing the geo but then noticed the rebuilt gearbox leaking oil from the join in the casings :(! Going to monitor it but Bedford is off the cards as can't get the gearbox out, fixed and back in :( going to do Brands in a few weeks instead.

That's a bummer James! Whens Brands, might pop down if i'm off work. (live 10 min from Brands).

That's a bummer James! Whens Brands, might pop down if i'm off work. (live 10 min from Brands).
Sorry mate must of forgotten to reply :(

Hopefully sometime in the next few weeks just going to wait till we see some nice weather forecasted and then will book :) Can't wait to drive it again!
Be seeing this up at RS anytime soon? :)
Yes I'm sure it won't be too long before it's next trip :) going to play around with a few bits on the current engine and also the new engine will be getting built this year so hopefully see you up there at some point :)

R26
Yes I'm sure it won't be too long before it's next trip :) going to play around with a few bits on the current engine and also the new engine will be getting built this year so hopefully see you up there at some point :)
Good to hear, look forward to seeing it!
I'm on the lookout for a 182 now so may well be on here some more :)

Cup In bits
I run 1mm toe out each side and 2.5 neg camber front, 2 neg camber and parallel toe rear - well will be parallel once I get a 30' min shim for the O\S\R.

Though what's good for one isn't good for another - adjust push on and re adjust is how I came to my settings.

Pete have you ever checked your front tyre temps? I had 3 deg neg at the weekend and the shoulders were boiling. First time I have checked with a temp gauge.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Outer shoulders on Yoko A048-r i.e not enough camber. I run 10min toe out but that won't cause this difference. It was circa 10 deg inside and circa 40 deg outside. Going for a lot more camber this weekend and see what happens.

These cars do seem to love a bit of camber, I am running slightly more than you to try and stop my RSR's working the outside edge, they seem to do it even more than the 888 and Ao48 and pilot sport cups we also sometimes use.

Roll centre correction kit required of course, but Ive only got one set and am using it on the mk1, plus my mrs gets a bit annoyed if I try and turn her daily into a race car so I dont think she will be up for buying another set, lol.

Cup In bits
I ran a fud hair off of 5 deg with my RSR's and still had tyre wear with sportlines fitted. Its inevatable with them tyres IMO, they have a sidewall that folds over.

This new car has coilovers and corners a lot flatter so I didn't think I would need as much. Yoko or the teams that run them say 5 deg max although as small as possible if the car is on 'proper' coilovers and the correct roll stiffness.

That temps I have are a bit low but the important bit is the difference, the inside edge should be the hottest part of the tyre if correct which was the opposite on mine.

A lot will depend on tyre and spring rates etc. As you say the yoko's have nice stiff side walls.

Also different tracks will suit different setups.

I run -ve 2.5 up front with AO48's and get quite even wear at most tracks.

The only way is to get out there and do some testing with a temp gauge I suppose.

I ran a fud hair off of 5 deg with my RSR's and still had tyre wear with sportlines fitted. Its inevatable with them tyres IMO, they have a sidewall that folds over.

This new car has coilovers and corners a lot flatter so I didn't think I would need as much. Yoko or the teams that run them say 5 deg max although as small as possible if the car is on 'proper' coilovers and the correct roll stiffness.

That temps I have are a bit low but the important bit is the difference, the inside edge should be the hottest part of the tyre if correct which was the opposite on mine.

I was going to say a tad low lol! Highest I've seen mine is 76 degree's, I'm sure Dunlop told me the optimum is around 90 in use so obviously by the time you come in and measure them it will be cooler.

Lionel Richie
I run 1mm toe out each side and 2.5 neg camber front, 2 neg camber and parallel toe rear - well will be parallel once I get a 30' min shim for the O\S\R.

Though what's good for one isn't good for another - adjust push on and re adjust is how I came to my settings.

that's very low camber pete! I'd have assumed you'd be knocking on for -4deg!

that's very low camber pete! I'd have assumed you'd be knocking on for -4deg!

Hmmm, you're not the first to say that! But I did at times get blue outside edges on the front (when pushing harder than normal) - but even wear so never increased the camber.

Have got the new RCA\Bump steer set up - trying out next week for the first time.

I have mostly been 1-2 sec off Tony's pace last year and Sam 1-2 secs off my pace, I'll push on - next week and see what happens.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Even tyre wear isn't a true representation of a tyre working well although when your paying for the things yourself you want to see this.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sadly the only way to really know is to monitor the temps across the tyre on the track so you can make a "best fit" for all the different corners, as the temp will vary from bend to bend and when you measure in the pits you are only finding out about the last couple of bends not the ones before that.

But for clubman stuff it would be huge overkill!

Lionel Richie
tyre edges go blue regardless, nothing to worry about, it seems everyone is concerned about tyre wear on track/race cars - its not a road car, even tyre wear isn't a concern!!

I normally wear out the inner half of the tyre quicker than the outer, but setup is a very individual thing!

I'll get my mate Dave from Dunlop Motorsport to write something up, he was a development engineer for Dunlop LMP customers

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Anyone else have recommendations for camber and tracking , want to get it done tomorrow
cheers Ian

Anyone else have recommendations for camber and tracking , want to get it done tomorrow
cheers Ian

I don't really know the type of surfaces that you drive on Ian but a good starting point on track is around 3 degs negative camber with 5-10 min's toe out per side at the front. 2 deg's negative camber on the rear with neutral to 10 mins toe in per side. Obviously ride heights and cornerweight are very important too.

172 Cup (Track)
Toyo recommend a maximum of 5 degrees camber for 888s and optimum op temp of 85-95 degrees C.

I run 4 degrees camber and even still the outer edge was a few degrees hotter than the inside. I also run 10 min toe out and the car handles pretty s**t hot! Rear is 2 degrees camber but the differences on the rear are not going to be as obvious.

Id recommend that setup at least as a proven start point- 4 degrees negative camber, 10 min toe out.

Toe out on the rear will induce more oversteer but I prefer to get the balance with the damping adjustment and spring rate as toe out on the rear in the wet makes for some very lively action!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Toe out on the rear will induce more oversteer but I prefer to get the balance with the damping adjustment and spring rate as toe out on the rear in the wet makes for some very lively action!

Toe out on the rear is good for getting heat into the rear tyres though.

As with most things its a case of finding what works best for you personally.

Josh cook ran loads of toe out on his cup racer for exmaple IIRC

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes, but he stated that it was a handful and not for the nervous (and done out of wanting a fast set up but knew it was on the edge) - and he also came off on the warm up lap at Brands last year as the car was a hand full.

Agreed, I wasnt saying if its what he likes its right for everyone, just giving an example of how some people prefer a more extreme setup.
Personally I like either a tiny bit of toe in or not any toe on the back of a car, and like Ash will just spring or ARB it to make the tail still a bit lively, but im not trying to very quickly get heat into the tyres as I am just doing trackdays.

Think I'm going to drag the car out on Thursday for a bit of a blast. Spoke to Javelin to see if I could squeeze onto their day at Snett for the afternoon that Pete is doing but they are too busy so think I'm going to go along for a few hours in the afternoon at Brands on Thursday and give the car a bit of a hammering and see if everything's okay :)

Weather looks good for today. Completely forgot you were heading to Brands today. Would have headed down but unfortunately I can't now.

I'll see this car in action... one day... lol