ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best trackday brake set up advice please !

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I almost rear ended an Alfa at the track day I did in my HDI estate. He was moaning about brake fade in the pit lane. I crapped my pants when I found out why! Sooooo much speed unnecessarily knocked off!! Brake fade also depends on the track. Fast downhill sections with tight corners at the bottom don't help. Also remember that a full fat 172/182 with two 16 stone blokes inside weighs a fair bit more than a stripped out cup with an 8 stone bean aboard.

Clio Cup
Ive been Running on a set of Mintex 1155s and cheapo new discs and not had any troubles - Apart from "one last go" where my mate had brought the car in and there was still 20 mins of track time left

Managed to not slow down for the knickerbrook chicane at Oulton park

Cup In bits
@w33 brl I'll have a look, I have heard good and bad about them tbh. Everyone is different and wants different things though.

I think the compounds were made over somewhere around 2011 too Chip-mk1

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I have orange pads (up from blues) on my Impreza at the front and they have helped the braking performance significantly. The Subaru is a car with shockingly poor standard brakes even on the STi caliper setup that mine came with.

EBC orange are horrific, downright dangerous!,,,
these were off my Evo X after 500 miles, supplier said they were inconsistent and agreed they were rubbish, no interest in sorting me out though. EBC are gash generally imo
Carbotech bobcats are cheaper, better initial bite and resist fade longer, anyone buying orange stuff should be nervous,

null_zpsd2cd0ab5.jpg

Last edited:
  172/B8 Quattro
Don't touch ebc if you drive your car hard ime.
Performance friction, Carborne Lorraine, carbotechs or pagid rs series are the best for track/race ime
I settled for Carborne Lorraine rc6 on my last Subaru.

172 Track Car
Pfffff RC6.... RC8s are what it's about, we run them all round with slicks. Still trying to get a bit more cooling though, we'll be there soon. Pads aren't the problem though, it's the fluid that gets raped.

182cup & 172 racecar
Ferodo pads have fallen apart like as well, so it's not just ebc.
So making a generalisation is not really fair.

Clio 172 phase 1
I'm using ebc bluestuff there a great pad and have a really progressive feel to them with a lot of bite ... Matched to some brembo hc discs with grooves .... However recently I experienced massive fade but I am due a fluid change and as it was there was no ducting to the brakes so today I shall be removing the arch liners and making a set of cooling ducts .....

172 cup, Impreza P1
What's peoples take on mintex 1144's the car will only used on road for now

Road pad really so would not be good for prolonged heavy use on track.

I really rate pagid RS4's. Excellent feel, zero fade and last forever with minimal dust. I'm going for them again on AP's.

172cup
I cooked a set of ebc pads and some kind of grooved disk at knockhill a few years back, pretty much on fire!! Whole setup fell part. I ve had a few renaultsport now, best pad I have found are carbotech xp8 - very expensive. I am using with standard disks at moment but going to try the bmembo hc however, I have heard mixed reports on these. I d be tempted to go pagid next pad wise.

182cup & 172 racecar
This thread has proved my point.

There are so many different answers and opinions, that it's hard to tell.

Just got to try and see what suits you....

Cup In bits
^^

Pretty much

To follow up I ran a new set of yellow stuff at Knockhill on Monday night in my Megane, although I wasn't going nuts in the braking zones like I would in the Clio I was lapping quicker than 90% on track yet they held their own very well with no issues. Did a 20 lap stint at one point too with no deposit/warping issues.

Id recommend them over ds2500 any day and at £50 cheaper they can't be sniffed at. I haven't had the brakes apart yet but I can't see much problems, they feel good still.

172cup
As said above down to personal preference, plus tyres also play a part in feel.

xp8 pads with brembo discs on my r26 were epic but on my clio it's not the same. Could be down to smaller calliper or that discs are just renault. I ll be playing around with different combos over the next year to find something I am happy with.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Just did a track day on standard discs and pads in a standard car (172 cup) 2 up and all was good. Cooked the caliper paint and bubbled the anthracite paint job on one wheel in the middle. On the brink of locking up most of the time, no trail braking as we're rubbish again from no recent track time. Forced heavy braking by better braking cars and a downhill 100mph down to a 2 gear corner at this track. Up to 10 laps at one point in 25C. Not bad really. Won't be upgrading just yet. Rear brakes cleaned up during the day which actually helped towards the end despite their lack of effort in general. I think my success is down to road tyres and only being able to brake so hard.

Clio 182 FF
Took the Carbon Lorraine RC5+ out for their first spin (no pun) at Curborough on Saturday. Oh my days. Unbelievable feel, bite, overall power and lack of fade (which you'd hope on a one lap sprint track, but my oe ones did). My personal set up is CL RC5+ on the front with Brembo HC discs and Mintex ebay disc/bearing/pad set up on the rear. Works amazing!

R14 CUP
I'm a big fan of Pagid RS4-2 blues, like a few others on here.

I had similiar issues with warped discs and crumbling pads with DS2500's.

I run;

Brembo Max Discs
Pagid RS4-2 Blue Pads
Goodride Lines
ATE Superblue Fluid

Only change i'd be tempted to make is Castrol SRF fluid in the future.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Took the Carbon Lorraine RC5+ out for their first spin (no pun) at Curborough on Saturday. Oh my days. Unbelievable feel, bite, overall power and lack of fade (which you'd hope on a one lap sprint track, but my oe ones did). My personal set up is CL RC5+ on the front with Brembo HC discs and Mintex ebay disc/bearing/pad set up on the rear. Works amazing!

pretty much exactly same setup I have in the mk1 and more than happy with the performance. all I need to do is grow some bigger balls to use them later and harder.

I use them for open pit stuff as well, and tend to lap a lot in each stint and no overheating or fade issues until the cars stationary so cooling effectively too on track :)

172 Rally Car
What would you recommend?

It really depends on your budget - the stuff varies from £7 for 500ml to £60+ for the Castrol stuff

I used some cheap gulf racing 5.1 in the rally car and cooked it good and proper. I will be moving to come Castrol SRF

172 Cup
I'll be using DS1.11 on my hillclimb car as their torque / temp curve is very impressive at low temps. :)

EBC pads - AVOID.

Cheap brake discs - AVOID.

I blew apart some brand new Renault front discs at Brands in the wet with CL RC5+.. hairline fractures and blow-outs all over the disc face! I would highly recommend what I have now, which is CL RC6 and Brembo MaxTorque discs - unbelievable stopping power and will go all day long!

You cannot skimp on brakes if you're doing track days. I know decent pads and discs cost a bit, but so does sitting in the pits / going home early because your brakes are shot to pieces.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I'm a big fan of Pagid RS4-2 blues, like a few others on here.

I had similiar issues with warped discs and crumbling pads with DS2500's.

I run;

Brembo Max Discs
Pagid RS4-2 Blue Pads
Goodride Lines
ATE Superblue Fluid

Only change i'd be tempted to make is Castrol SRF fluid in the future.

This is nearly the same as I used to have my setup apart from the fluid where I used Motul RBF600.

Very good setup on track and never managed to boil the fluid. The Pagid RS4-2's are very good and seem to last forever even on Brembo Max discs.

R14 CUP
This is nearly the same as I used to have my setup apart from the fluid where I used Motul RBF600.

Very good setup on track and never managed to boil the fluid. The Pagid RS4-2's are very good and seem to last forever even on Brembo Max discs.

Yeah, its a good set up, best of the various combinations i've used. On the road they are good once warmed up too, squeek a bit when cold, but thats too be expected.