ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best spring compresser/clamp for changing springs

Need some advice again guys please.

I was wondering which are the best sub £20 spring compressers/clamps for changing springs? Im only swapping out my oem ones for other oem ones but I would like to use them on other cars and lowering springs in the future too.

Also any advice or a quick guide to changing springs and shocks?

Cheers mate, I have been told that if a spring comes of the clamps it could smash your car up or kill you so the top ones are more like what im looking for. Would these be suitable for all springs e.g. lowering springs for the clio, oem clio springs and oem and standard for most other cars?

I used the one's danny called dodgy, they are to a certain extent but for a one time change over was A-ok... just put a but of elecy tape on the clamps so they didnt slip and was fine

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Bought and used a pair of these on my dCi, top clamps!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2PC-CAR-COIL-...s_Equipment&hash=item2eaefdd25d#ht_3958wt_905
Would advise using duct tape or similar on the spring contact points to eliminate any possible clamp slippage, also be aware as the spring is compressed it will twist down its length, best pre-position the clamps to compensate for this... ;)

Strut top nut is in true Renault fashion a bizarre 21mm fitting? I used a sparkplug socket (16mm? translates into 21mm fitting!) with a ringend spanner on the top of it - so I can fit the long end of an allen key through the hole in the top to fit in the strut shaft & stop it from rotating, holding the allen key short end in an adjustable spanner...

Last edited:
Lol ok? I still need spring compressors for my other cars so i'l still get the ones Danny posted.

I have an electric impact gun would that be anyuse for the top mount?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've changed about 5 sets of springs on a 1*2 and never used spring compressors.