ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best coilovers for comfort vs cup setup 172

Clio 172, Jaguar XJR
So I've had a few 172s now and I always found that the standard cup setup made for a predictable and comfortable car.
Had a couple of normal 172s that I bought with PI springs and shocks and I thought it was pretty terrible.
My latest 172 is on a set of what seem crappy pattern shocks and apex springs ( yellow)
It seems to bottom out a fair amount and on a country road and its all over the place.

Are there any coilovers out there that don't ruin the cars country lane performance? I do the odd track day but it is a daily so I really don't want a set of rock hard coilovers.

The Ideal would be the car lower than the standard set up but also give the car some of the compliance offered by the standard cup setup.

Any suggestions?

330i. E30 Touring.
Bilstein B14 is as good as you'll get as as all rounder.

Saying that though, i still prefer standard shocks and Prolines.

Transit & Death trap
I've driven a fair few setups and if your budget allows, I'd say go for Koni shocks and Eibachs sportline springs.
By far my favourite setup for a road car, but more than capable when you're ready to play
If you have to have coilovers, I'd agree with Budgie, B14's all day long.

Clio 172, Jaguar XJR
Certainly don't have to have coil overs. I just really like the way the car sits currently even if it is rubbish to drive!
If this can be achieved on springs at a presumably lower cost then I'm all for that.
Pic for reference.

A8BB5DBC-FD37-4DC3-82B2-06C587598CEE_zpsfb8bc1b8.png

Transit & Death trap
I don't think you'll get those sort of lows from Eibachs.
Tbh, any coilover that is wound down really low, is gonna handle rubbish (not be comfortable) imo.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
My old Clio on BC's ran beautifully on the road and as they were adjustable, they worked brilliantly on the track but it wasn't that low.

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
I can't compare against anything but stock suspension but i've had my Bilstein B14's on for a few weeks now and can confirm they are in no way at all crashy or too hard. My mum, the biggest critic (sad I know) when I change something on my car suspension wise even commented the other day how smooth it was to drive when we went shopping the other day. She's usually the first to go "jesus christ daniel" when I go over speedbumps.