ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best coilovers for a 172 cup, £500 ish budget?

SQ5
Brand new suspension?

This beats everything hands down.

I've had countless Clio's with coilovers and never had had standard suspension. Couple of years ago, all new stuff on the front and handles better than any other Clio I've driven.

There's a reason it is one of the greatest handling FWD cars made.

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.

I've had countless Clio's with coilovers and never had had standard suspension. Couple of years ago, all new stuff on the front and handles better than any other Clio I've driven.

Il have a sit in kyles and see then mate, every car I've owned I've changed for coilovers and it's been beneficial so will see. I don't want to change for something I already have and be sat in this situation again ya know. Plus I want it lower and corner weighted.
We prepare race cars at work and they've all said coilovers is the way to go. With the top weight in my car now with the cage the weight transfer is noticeable, did your clips have a full cage and coilovers and yours now with standard set up and cage?

The cage will make a difference I believe.

53 Clio's & counting
The cage will make it stiffer - but be aware it will transfer the stresses to other parts of the car - so you will need everything upgraded - bushes, top mounts - the lot

182cup & 172 racecar
They may have said coilovers are the way to go, but for road and the odd trackday it's not, esp cheap ones, which you will end up changing anyway.
I know you already have standard suspension, but how many miles 70k, 80k, more even.
Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
The cage will make it stiffer - but be aware it will transfer the stresses to other parts of the car - so you will need everything upgraded - bushes, top mounts - the lot

Yeah hence the bushes I've got and top mounts il be getting, engine mounts aswell.

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
They may have said coilovers are the way to go, but for road and the odd trackday it's not, esp cheap ones, which you will end up changing anyway.
I know you already have standard suspension, but how many miles 70k, 80k, more even.
Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

Yeah bang on 80,000.

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah hence the bushes I've got and top mounts il be getting, engine mounts aswell.

Good good - I can supply Powerflex products (including the black series) and I do 12% discount on powerflex for cliosport members - I can also supply vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts @ 5% off RRP www.sw-autos.uk

Reactions: Gus
  Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
That definitely isn't doing the correct job then, along with any other rubber and mount.

Yeah so any other suspension I get will be miles better so il try the coilys and see, can always keep the springs and replace the shocks.

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
If you're ever over near Milton Keynes, I'll happily let you try mine which has all new bushes, shocks and springs.

Should organise a mini Essex meet to try a few set ups.

Without going crazy and ruining others cars lol.

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
Good good - I can supply Powerflex products (including the black series) and I do 12% discount on powerflex for cliosport members - I can also supply vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts @ 5% off RRP www.sw-autos.uk

Sweet mate thanks for that, chuck us a price for new front arb bushes please. Mines a cup 172 53 plate.

SQ5
Yeah so any other suspension I get will be miles better so il try the coilys and see, can always keep the springs and replace the shocks.

That's not true, do you know how much Renaultsport would of spent on suspension R&D?

Most coilovers aren't adapted to the car they are on.

New suspension refresh and cooksport or eibach springs is going to be around £400. Which is half the price of any good coilovers.

Anyway that's my two pence, as Tony said, good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
Yeah any decent setup that is.

I've had bilsteins and rated them so il more than likely go for them again.

FRP - Clio 182

I have just refreshed all my suspension and it feels fanatic on my 172 cup however I am still keen on getting coilovers as the car is going to be used for track only in the long run, are we sure that it's not worth forking out for £500 coil overs?

182cup & 172 racecar
I have just refreshed all my suspension and it feels fanatic on my 172 cup however I am still keen on getting coilovers as the car is going to be used for track only in the long run, are we sure that it's not worth forking out for £500 coil overs?
If you are prepared to spend 3x as much, then maybe yes, otherwise I'd stick with a nice set of fresh standard shocks.