ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Before going to halfords.....

Is it still possible to buy some good products and hand cleaning necessities from halfords? Some of the guides/posts say to stay away, but do you just mean the halfords own product stuff? I haven't been for years and never really walked down the cleaning section so don't remember seeing how vast their range is.

Also I have never properly washed/polished/waxed before believe it or not, so how much could I be expecting to spend to spend roughly starting from buckets to the wax?

Cheers.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say that if you're new to cleaning/detailing, there's little point jumping in spending a fortune on kit that has little meaning to you.

Halfords do a wide range from Megs (Meguiars) through to AutoGlym (AG). Although a lot of the detailing guys on here would use higher spec stuff - there's often a 3-for-2 on AG products. The Super Resin Polish is a good all-rounder to use - but for really good results, you need to prep the bodywork first. Removing contaminants like tar spots, bird crap marks etc, makes the polishing process much more effective.

Then you get to the waxing and protection coatings afterwards. From what I've seen on here, this one area is where people seem to have most opinions with!

I'm certainly no expert on this area though - it might be worth having a look through some other thread in this Car Detailing section to give you some extra info?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
If you're starting off, This isn't a bad place to start

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...productId=1002675&langId=-1&categoryId=165671

That'll get you some basics but (if I'm going full anorak) you'll want to also pick up

Some
*tar and glue remover
Iron/fallout/brake dust remover
A clay bar kit (basically a bar of clay and lubricant in one package)*
A wash mitt

And maybe
Autosol metal polish
Some trim dressing (back to black type stuff)

*this is the decontamination process Darren was talking about. You'll find washing the car doesn't actually clean it. It'll just get the top layer of grime off so you'll need to remove the bonded tar, iron, tree sap, bird s**t and general crap from the paint before rubbing polish into it.

Hope that helps :)

I wasn't looking to buy any electronic equipment etc just some good products/mitts etc to clean with and waxing etc. Ended up going to a car meet with 4 other lads anyway in Slaithwaite, Huddersfield.

327F54BB-A61B-4425-8E44-27B6518DC625-2454-0000020D3C19C640.jpg

I've read the detailing section on here and googled elsewhere too and yes I was looking into the clay part too.

I was going to halfords as I couldn't think of anywhere that would be open close by really and I was going to make a start on it today. Obviously the rinsing and washing is pretty straight forward and relatively quick to the later parts of cleaning. The car isn't in bad nick at all so does clay/wax/sealing it take a good few hours?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
The car isn't in bad nick at all so does clay/wax/sealing it take a good few hours?

All depends on the finish you want mate. Some people will take an hour, some people will take 3 days.

I normally spend a few hours a month giving it a good going over.

It's all new to me so like you say I guess I'll have to see how long it takes till I'm happy with it myself :)

I've almost finished the clay part of the clean. Taking me ages so far but looks ten times better already. I'm near halfords (again!). I'm after a polish that's going to slightly cut as there are quite a lot of swirls In the paint work and a few scratches which will hopefully buff out. Are there any decent polishes in halfords at all, also my car is black so as I've never polished before do you buy polishes specific to car colour? I'm going to try using one of them polishing pads that you use by hand, anyone used them?

I'm also after a wax then. Any decent ones in halfords again? I stuck to the meguires stuff so far as it was all 25% off and I'm happy with the job up to press. I didn't look at waxes or polishes last time I went so didn't take notice of what was on the shelves.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Yeah HD wax is where it all started for me.

I got cracking results with it on my Arctic 182. It's just not very special to work with.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, but you don't put loads on.

If you are questioning yourself as to how much is being applied, then it's probably the right amount.

Nightmare to remove if you lay it on thick.

Thanks people just gone and got what I need. Will post some pictures up soon of sections I've done. Off in the garage next week so will probably be due a wash again very soon

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You can get decent products from halfords, it's just that there are also more variety elswhere. Products Id be happy to use available in halfords are
Meguiars
Gold class shampoo
Ultimate wash and wax shampoo
Ultimate compound
Ultimate polish
Ultimate quik wax
Ultimate quick detailer
Clay
Foam and microfibre applicators
Wash mitt
Endurance tyre dressing
Even the liquid and paste waxes leave a great finish and are easy to use but expensive at full RRP so wouldn't bother unless reduced.

Autoglym
Super resin polish SRP
HD cleanser
HD wax
Engine degreaser
Metal polish
Aqua wax
Fast glass
Headlight restoration kit

Demon shine
Spray on shine
Snow foam shampoo
Rapid dirt shifter

Farcela G3
Super wax
Quick detailer
Detox shampoo
Foam polish and wax applicators

There are probably others but I've used all the above and would be happy to buy again