ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buy an e90 335i they said, it'll be fun they said ...

Cant believe you managed to lock yourself in to the point of needing to break a window :ROFLMAO:

How on earth you figured out how to use the BMW software tools I dont know. Every time I try to search how to do something I eventually give up because people are singularly unhelpful.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You are the ultimate BMW nerd ?
Ha ha, i try :ROFLMAO:

@Sir_DaveCan you point me to the post you made pointing the differences out between the engines (325/330/335) please? I’ve had a look on here to no avail. Cheers!
This?:
European 325i/330i post circa 2007 both use the N53B30 - engine is 3.0 in both cases, 330i has a different inlet manifold & ecu map. To get 325i to 330i you either go aftermarket remap (260), three stage inlet manifold & aftermarket (270) or inlet & OEM 330i map (270), or figures along those lines. The 330i's three stage inlet manifold gives better torque.

Earlier European 325i has the N52B25, 2.5 litre engine, not upgradeable to the higher power as per the N52B30 in the 330i. The US 325i has the N52B30 just without the 330i manifold, hence they upgrade it. To confuse matters, Europe got the N52B30 in the 125i, so that can go from 215 to 265bhp with an inlet/map change.

The "unicorn" cars in the UK are therefore the N53B30 325i and the N52B30 125i where a manifold swop & map will give you an extra 50bhp (y)

In terms of reliability, the N52 engined cars are arguably better due to their simpler injector design (the N53 is more like an N54 without a turbo, so you have HP/LP fuel pumps, NOX sensors & Piezo injectors to worry about), but realistically speaking, both should see at least 250k miles. The Americans have plenty of N52's on more than that. Also, from a DIY perspective, the US gets the N52 and they love a good DIY guide, they dont get the N53, which makes things a little harder. Ive been having to use N54 guides as the basis for my engine work on the 325i.

I'll now add that i feel alot of the "issues" people read about with the N54 are due to typical BMW incompetence/customer wanting perfection in the early days (a bit like VANOS on e36's, SMG pumps on the e46, actuators on the e90 etc etc). Slight turbo rattle = replace ALL OF THE TURBOS. In reality, a small amount of rattle from the wastegate arms isnt going to lose you any boost, it'll just be a little annoying, JB4/MHD/BMW software all have updates that will remove most of the rattle for you also. There are chaps in the USA who have been running "full bolt-on" (FBO) so catless downpipes, intercooler, intakes, Stage 2+ and Meth for 100k miles with rattly turbos and they still push out 425bhp-475bhp lol ...

Injectors are £100 a pop if you know the "secret BMW recall part number" (which i do naturally), instead of being £200+ at the dealers. HP fuel pumps were more an issue in the US due to cr4ppy fuel and coil packs/spark plugs are £250 for all 6. With standard boost, they will last for ages, map it and it'll probably missfire if you dont change them, but then, having a good spark/fuel system is good pre-emptive maintenance for any car prior to modification!! The electric waterpump/thermostat is a weak point, but they are on most BMW's, its just a bit harder to change on the 335i.

Cant believe you managed to lock yourself in to the point of needing to break a window :ROFLMAO:

How on earth you figured out how to use the BMW software tools I dont know. Every time I try to search how to do something I eventually give up because people are singularly unhelpful.

Tell me about it, was an absolute nightmare lol!!! Funny now looking back on it though tbf, plus as you say, it FORCED me to do such much reading on the BMW software, that i now understand it far more than previously!! If you've got a laptop i can probably try and work out how to dial into it with Teamviewer and get all the software loaded onto your laptop so it work ok if you like? In terms of getting it to work, most of the responses on the forums are "just code it using WinKFP" so i had to search for hours to find those little snippets i posted earlier on ...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So for a variety of reasons, the 335i hasnt really moved much this month, mainly because i was using the 325i in the run up to Le Mans, but also because post "brokenwindowgate" i also noticed that the Bistable Relay (KL30g_f) in the Junction Box (the bit that the JBE/Junction Box Electronics plugs into) also had a fault on it. Now, being that this relay controls power into the JBE, CAS & DME, i thought it probably wise not to use the car, mainly as it could simply shut down and lose power at any point ...

Unfortunately, unlike the other external relays, the KL30g_f is built into the Junction Box internals, so the only easy way to replace it is to swop out the whole unit. I've now managed to track one down on ebay with the correct part number and it should be arriving with me immenently, along with some electric folding mirrors and a split front armrest. So once everything has arrived, ill be able to finish all my retrofits and start using it again.

At that point, barring xenons, i reckon ill have a fairly epic spec manual e90 335i!

CIC Navigation System Professional
Bluetooth Phone Preparation
HiFi System Professional DSP (Logic 7)
Park Distance Control PDC Front / Rear
Electric Folding Mirrors
Electric Front Seats
Split Front Armrest
Split/Fold Rear Seats
Active Steering

????

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Not much of an update, but have now swopped out the JBE and finished off the CIC installation inc. re-coding the headunit from Base to L7 output using NCS Dummy. Just missed out on a combox earlier on for £100, sold in the time it got listed, i added it to myebay, then went and made a coffee before checking part numbers - which was most annoying!!

48403459236_411805fb7d_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Great video on how to use it here if anyone is interested:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Interior parts arrived, not my first choice of wood (its Light Walnut), but Burr Walnut is nigh on impossble to find for the LCI CIC controller ...

Before:
48670489173_396f7356e0_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

After:
48670489188_169d0d1603_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
48670489158_3355a204df_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Going to MOT & Tax it in the next couple of weeks so i can decide whether i want to keep it, or sell it.

Havent driven it since June, so have kinda forgotten whats its like :ROFLMAO:

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
The silver stuff looks s**t IMO also. I’m also a big fan of wood but finding a set is proving difficult for me or very expensive

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
More tinkering lately, have the MOT booked for later on today, so needed to make sure everything was working ok ...

Coincidentally, the car hadnt really been charging the battery properly since it went to BMW for its B+ cable recall (it actually cut out on the motorway as well, which was primarily what the recall was designed to solve), so i pulled off the main junction/fuse box to inspect things. As i have come to expect, the B+ cable hadnt been fitted correctly, with the screw that tightens the clamp being rounded off. I've now re-seated it, but will order another recall part and do it myself - they are only £20 or so. This wouldnt have affected charging however, just caused the occasional power outage.
48781390402_470ea2cf6d_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Whilst i was in there, i decided to swop out the whole unit for a new one (just to make sure the charging issue wasnt due to a failed internal relay etc):
48781389152_dd5ec55127_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

That didnt change anything so out came the multimeter and after a read of the rather complex e90 electricals manual (https://www.e92n55.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/pdf-bmw-e90-voltage-supply-bus-systems.pdf) i continuity tested all of the wiring/fuse/distribution blocks etc. The ecu was by now not recognising the alternator at all and giving a 2E98 code, ie "alternator missing", so no charge at all. It did however show movement in voltage in the "generator" menu in INPA upon startup, which suggested that the alternator was ok, but the regulator was probably knackered. Overnight parts from Germany (well 5 days) to the rescue with a new one of these:
48781389207_5690f694f6_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

And we are back in business
48780852753_5865351b3b_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Funny thing is, most recommendations were to just change the alternator at £450+ fitting (which is a pig on the 335i). This was £42. The regulator isnt available to purchase seperately in the UK, so something to bear in mind for those with e90's and charging issues. My part number/supplier was: https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/bosch-777195.html

Next i moved onto the more fun stuff, fitting the combox i had purchased recently. Parts purchased ...
BN2000 Combox: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-3-5-6-SERIES-X5-X6-GENUINE-BLUETOOTH-MODULE-9257161/323882454538
Changeover Plug: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Changeov...E84-X6-E71-X5-E70-Z4-E89-E90-E6X/322969679445
USB Switch: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Swit...or-BMW-E90-E91-E92-X5-3-5-Series/233205594552

Boot was rank. I mean seriously. What had the previous owner been doing in here:
48780852968_9671cc1970_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

MULF2 vs Combox comparison:
48781389267_0824c77c62_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
48781389202_0943d3b013_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Wiring changes:
48781388712_f4dbc46c8f_z.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Bit of coding with NCSExpert, ie change production date to #0910, add $6VC, $6VA & $6FL to VO, FAwrite to CAS/NFRM, then SGcodieren CIC/CMEDIA modules. Et voila, bluetooth music streaming and album art when using wired:
48781215371_da281b73a7_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
The ccc unit in mine is pants. Does do half the stuff the CIC does which is frustrating. Can’t believe mine doesn’t even do music streaming BT.

Gonna be a great car when you’ve done with it

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
lol @ the restraint system :ROFLMAO:
I was in the midst of updating the software with Winkfp, hence the code, all sorted now!

The ccc unit in mine is pants. Does do half the stuff the CIC does which is frustrating. Can’t believe mine doesn’t even do music streaming BT.
Gonna be a great car when you’ve done with it
Yeah, CCC is poor in terms of something things, ie iphone/ipod control, lack of bluetooth streaming, etc, but tbf, i dont even think those things were invented in 2007 lol. Alternatively, whilst the CIC looks far better, you do actually lose some functionality with the Logic 7 if you upgrade the headunit, plus there is no way of adjusting the heating/venting and/or programming the steering wheel short cuts!
It's like you speak a whole other language Dave. Most of what I just read registered as white noise, especially that last line or two :ROFLMAO:
Haha, i mostly just scribble it all down in here for my own future use - saves having to trawl through e90post each time i want to get the laptop out!
Dave, it sounds like you could magic professional nav in my F30 easy enough!
F30 is quite different in terms of coding to the E90 i think, you need an esys cable etc - although, it probably wouldnt be that hard to learn.
Im sure ill buy a povvo spec 335i/340i at some point and need to retrofit everything!
This is so geeky I could read it for days.
:cool:

Passed the MOT last week with no advisories, happy days
48836064136_57da37fdf3_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Also fitted this weighted ZHP gearknob - feels far nicer than the old one!
48835693488_102f2b1e9e_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

May have also found another grail car, i.e. a high spec manual 335i touring as well.
Not officially for sale, or in the right colour (sparkling graphite instead of le mans blue), but we'll see how that pans out.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
For Gods sake man, another one 😂

Perhaps.
To be honest, i just like tinkering, so when a car is at the point where i've realstically retrofitted everything i can, it makes to sell it & start again :ROFLMAO:
Makes sense in my head, plus it means someone on CS has the opportunity to buy one of my super OCD BMW geek creations :LOL::giggle:
Might not happen anyway, the car im interested in isnt actually for sale lol.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Not officially for sale, or in the right colour (sparkling graphite instead of le mans blue), but we'll see how that pans out.

Oh come on, graphite is such a lovely colour

36251243232_dafa292e0d_o.jpg

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Since your the resident expert Dave.

I've got the CIC I drive retrofitted in the E92 but can't play music via Bluetooth, Combox or something required?

Cost and difficulty to sort?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
In that case, get an F30 bought to learn some coding on! 😅
Haha, i have pondered them actually, there is this one for sale at the mo that is in need of some retrofits:
I do wish I was closer to you to let you loose on mine!
I could probably help code via Teamviewer if that was any use - you could be my test dummy ;)
Get it bought, graphite is epic
Does it have any fleck in it, my Sapphire Black is quite sparkly for example, but all the BMW greys just look a bit, ... grey 🤷‍♂️
Since your the resident expert Dave.
I've got the CIC I drive retrofitted in the E92 but can't play music via Bluetooth, Combox or something required?
Cost and difficulty to sort?
Yeah, itll be a combox you need, plus some basic coding, parts are listed above in this post: https://cliosport.net/threads/buy-a...-be-fun-they-said.824651/page-2#post-11794529 ... cost is circa £150-175 depending on how good you are at finding bargains on ebay lol. Ive just bought this to finish off my install as it happens: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-CIC-...bel-cable-E90-E60-E87-E70-355-cm/264475300136

The Mrs one series was sparkling graphite and in different light could look brown, bronze, purple and heading for phoenix yellow. It's a nice generic grey that really shows off contours in any sunlight and is actually quite tolerant of being dirty unlike a lot of paints

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Haha, i have pondered them actually, there is this one for sale at the mo that is in need of some retrofits:

I could probably help code via Teamviewer if that was any use - you could be my test dummy ;)

Does it have any fleck in it, my Sapphire Black is quite sparkly for example, but all the BMW greys just look a bit, ... grey [emoji2369]

Yeah, itll be a combox you need, plus some basic coding, parts are listed above in this post: https://cliosport.net/threads/buy-a...-be-fun-they-said.824651/page-2#post-11794529 ... cost is circa £150-175 depending on how good you are at finding bargains on ebay lol. Ive just bought this to finish off my install as it happens: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-CIC-...bel-cable-E90-E60-E87-E70-355-cm/264475300136
That looks like a job for someone else to do [emoji23]

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I wish you’d give me a shout before you sell them and I can buy your interior trim 😂 need woooood

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

It nearly was actually, but i faffed about and missed out on a gorgeous Tanzanite 335i with Individual Opal white leather, HK, pro nav, adaptive suspension & sunroof! Only had 29k miles as well. Although tbf, it was a shedload more than i wanted to pay at £16k ... You know me though, i like to buy the same car repeatedly - so its something ive had before & liked, but not really gelled with for a variety of reasons :unsure:

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
It nearly was actually, but i faffed about and missed out on a gorgeous Tanzanite 335i with Individual Opal white leather, HK, pro nav, adaptive suspension & sunroof! Only had 29k miles as well. Although tbf, it was a shedload more than i wanted to pay at £16k ... You know me though, i like to buy the same car repeatedly - so its something ive had before & liked, but not really gelled with for a variety of reasons :unsure:

Come on spill the beans!!