ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Been told my cars an import

ST170
I've owned my 182 for about 9 months now and have decided to sell it, but have just found out that it's an import. The Renault dealership I bought it from didn't tell me this, but did an hpi check where they said 'everything was fine'. Have I got any comeback here?

ST170
A garage I was possibly going to sell it to said they did an hpi check and it came back as an import.

Monaco 172 2/468
There's nothing really up with imports mate, i've got a 172 import, as long as they've got a proper alarm and locking wheelnuts etc fitted they are fine :)

172 Cup
Have you spoken to the dealership you purchased it from? See what they say before taking the word of some garage.

You could of course get a HPI check done yourself and then present that to the dealership and see what they have to say.

182 Full Fatt!
If it's an import it's worth a little less that's all! Someone saved a lot of money when they bought it new and then that difference closes up as the years pass by.
I sold my 172 Import on ebay and had no problems. It had been retro fitted with a Clifford Alarm and still had no locking nuts. The service book looks different on an import and you should have an import certificate. Don't let anyone take you for a ride just because it's an import. Probably just means it was bought from a car supermarket

2004 182 Black Gold
They're all imports anyway, all made in the same factory!!! As people have already said only difference is;

No Alarm, No locking Wheel Nuts and No Etching.

Some people have hang ups on this for no real reason - I used to have an "import" 172 and it was great. After the warranty period (which is the same) what's the difference?

If it was registered as brand new in the UK with no miles then it won't even be classed as an import on the v5 log book (my 172 wasn't anyway).

The only other thing seems to be the majority of "import" 182's don't have either Cup Packs.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I wouldnt' buy an import. Harder to sell on/chop in, as case proven above

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
My 182 is an import and has both cup packs . As said . It won't come with alarm that Renault fit when it arrives at the import centre and locking wheel nuts . They stopped window etching on later 182's . The Renault alarm only has an 18 month warranty and are often problematic . So get yourself a good Cat 1 alarm with a liftetime warranty ;) and locking wheel nuts , job done .

Its not worth any less than so called UK models . Most come with 3 years warranty and AA assistance , depending on where it was destined for .Cars destined for Cyprus only came with a 1 year warranty .

I also had an import 172 which i sold for the same amount of similar age , mileage etc.... UK 172's . Its the same car made in the same factory .

There isn't any difference in insuring import 1*2's either , just to dispel that myth .

People with hangups about so called imports are confused with whats known as grey imports , usually from the far east like Subarus for example . These imports do differ as the spec will usually be slightly different , they often have no underseal , no rear foglight and will have the speedo in kmh not mph .

At the end of the day though .The dealership should have informed you if it is an import just so you know .

M2 Competition
If you didnt ask if it was an import, and they didnt say it was a uk car, how will you have any comeback? They've not lied to you.

The dealer told you the car was fine. It is.

Da

Less
If you didn't know it was an import, does it have an alarm? If the Cat 1 alarm isn't fitted chances are you're not insured! Just a thought...

Focus RS
Just done a RAC data check and says VRM not recorded as imported so thats cool but still makes me wonder why i didn't get any locking wheel nuts, aah well i got some now but maybe if i complained i wouldn't have had to buy the gits.

ST170
Peperami, that is not exactly true. He said everything was fine with the hpi check, not everything was fine with the car. I would have thought that if it was an import that he should have to inform me if he was aware.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
No alarm or locking wheel nuts iirc

Or window etchings.

My 1.6 is an import but it has the window etchings, it just didn't come with an alarm or locking wheel nuts. (Has both now though).

I don't understand why so many people are that bothered by imports, they are all UK spec. If someone tries to knock you down on price just because it's an import, tell them to go 'shove it!'. I know I would. ;) lol

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ Well said . It's mainly down to peoples lack of knowledge about imports why they jump on the band wagon and sl4g them off . I saved £1500 on dealer prices when i bought my first import ;)

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
If you didn't know it was an import, does it have an alarm? If the Cat 1 alarm isn't fitted chances are you're not insured! Just a thought...

That's bull, sorry, but it is. When I got my car from new it didn't have an alarm, I knew it was an import and told the insurance company so too. They were not bothered about the alarm as long as the car was a UK spec, which it was.

Da

Less

That's bull, sorry, but it is. When I got my car from new it didn't have an alarm, I knew it was an import and told the insurance company so too. They were not bothered about the alarm as long as the car was a UK spec, which it was.

Bull? Sorry Deb but have you ever tried insuring a Grp16 car in the UK without a Cat 1 alarm? A 1.6 isn't the same as an RS Clio :)

Insurance companies will presume the 182 has the standard Cat 1 alarm fitted unless told otherwise, which they wont be if the owner isn't even aware of it.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +

Bull? Sorry Deb but have you ever tried insuring a Grp16 car in the UK without a Cat 1 alarm? A 1.6 isn't the same as an RS Clio :)

Insurance companies will presume the 182 has the standard Cat 1 alarm fitted unless told otherwise, which they wont be if the owner isn't even aware of it.

Erm, I think you'll find as long as it has an immobiliser (sp) it doesn't matter, at least that's what any insurance company has ever asked me or Dunc about with our new cars. Dunc wasn't even asked if his R26 had an alarm, just interested in the immobiliser. I think I can safely say an R26 is classed as a Renault Sport and worth far much more than any RS Clio.

Hyundai i40
i think the wording is 'is the car fitted with standard alarm and imoboliser?'
if answered yes and it was an import without knowing it is not telling the insurance the truth therefore not insured

Da

Less
Ok, ok lets put it another way...

The OP bought what he believed to be a UK 182. He insured it as such and if he was asked about the alarm at any stage by the insurance company he would (I presume) have said it has one.

Now it turns out that it's an import it may not have one. That's the point I was getting at.

It's a technicality admittedly but we all know what insurance companies can be like in the event of claims :)

Thankyou SarahSarah :D

Either way it is not 'bull' ;)

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
i think the wording is 'is the car fitted with standard alarm and imoboliser?'
if answered yes and it was an import without knowing it is not telling the insurance the truth therefore not insured

We have never been asked about alarms, the question we have always been asked is 'Does the car have an immobiliser?' If he was asked if his car had both and he said 'yes' without checking, then that was a tad daft if you ask me. You can not always assume a car has everything you think it should have. Someone may have removed a troublesome alarm (like in our 1.2 fidji) and technically it is your responsibilty to check these things out before insuring your car.

Da

Less
Insurance policies are based vastly on assumptions. Admittedly it's down to the policy holder to confirm or deny these but away from this forum how many 182 owners would know where to look for an alarm? ;)

I'm not sure which company/companies you are referring to Deb but in my experience I often get asked if it has the standard alarm fitted when obtaining quotes, whether online or over the telephone.

Hyundai i40
i tell you one thing i dont have a clue if my car has an alarm or not........never had it go off.

so how do i set it off???? lol

but i do know that i have been asked that

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Insurance policies are based vastly on assumptions. Admittedly it's down to the policy holder to confirm or deny these but away from this forum how many 182 owners would know where to look for an alarm? ;)

Well I would hope that when most people buy a car, they ask what features it has. (Guys can be forgiven for not checking the hand manuals for this as we all know what guys are like with instructions). ;) Even my best friend who knows nothing about cars knows whether her car has an alarm or not.

Da

Less
Well I would hope that when most people buy a car, they ask what features it has.

Agree 100% Deb, maybe he asked and maybe he was told it had an alarm...either way this is all speculation and we're getting away from the OP's point... :)

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +

I'm not sure which company/companies you are referring to Deb but in my experience I often get asked if it has the standard alarm fitted when obtaining quotes, whether online or over the telephone.

I have dealt mainly with Direct Line and now we have all 3 cars with Admiral. Neither companies asked about alarms, they just asked if they had immobilisers. I even told Admiral that although my caris an import it now had a rather fancy cat 1 alarm. They said that didn't matter as it didn't reduce the policy or raise it if it didn't have one. They were only bothered about the immobiliser. Like I said, Dunc wasn't even asked if his R26 had an alarm, so he didn't have to say yes or no.

B

Brown.

mine was imported same way found out after i bought it.....got it from renault, sold it back to renault :) no probs

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Well I would hope that when most people buy a car, they ask what features it has.

Agree 100% Deb, maybe he asked and maybe he was told it had an alarm...either way this is all speculation and we're getting away from the OP's point... :)

Ok, agreed.

If he contacts Renault and gives them all the details of his car they will be able to tell him if it is an import or not.

My car does not show up on Renaults computers just by the Reg number alone, they need the VIN number and all the other darn numbers on the VIN plate to find my car. So, if he rings them and gives them all the details he can, they should be able to tel him.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I would'nt worry if its an import, my old 51 plate 172 was, i got what i wanted for it, if its a good un it will sell, sell it private. Don't know why people fret about it. Sold mine in june 05 with 56k on the clock for £7350 which was ball park price at the time, guy who bought knew it was an import, best condition car he veiwed out of 4 other UK cars.