ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banging noise coming from rear after coilover fitment

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Wondering if anyone can help, recently purchased some vmaxx coilovers, only a couple months old and since I've fitted them I've been getting a banging noise from the rear when I go over bumps, I thought it could be the shocks bottoming out so I raised the car slightly, still the same.

Could it be the bushes/washers that vmaxx supply are actually crap or could it be the rear spring is actually too soft, as when I look underneath the rear spring looks fully compressed

If anyone can shed any light or give some advice it would be greatly appreciated

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
exactly, top 3 coils are touching however there is a gap between those and the bottom two coils

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
exactly, top 3 coils are touching however there is a gap between those and the bottom two coils

like this?

004-5.gif

ITB'd MK1
have you fitted the original rubber on the top of that spring? can't see it in the picture.

that spring doesn't look quite right, but a lot of the kits that mount like this do similar

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
mine are coiled up aswell and its not even sat on the floor,
its still on axel stands, tbh the springs are not that good,

but as soon as it was back on the deck, with wheels back on
they coiled right up tight,

just like dr jekyls

View attachment 61112

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I had two sets of vmaxx on my ph1 172 and they never looked like that, really strange

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
how is your rear springs looking then ?

would like to know mate, cheers if you dont
mind getting a pici when you have some spare time,

thanks chris.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
did you have any knocking noises coming from yours?

I'm considering getting some larger bushes, similar to the standard ones so they will fit over the threads and still bolt up fine

My initial thoughts are the bushes are either crap, or I've assembled them incorrectly.

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
i fitted my standard bushes back on, just had to drill the washer out a little, so they would slide over the tread,
and that made a big difference, it took 90-95% of the knocking/banging away,

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
could be your exhaust knocking on the rear beam now you have lowered it...

check the rubber mounts for the exhaust under the car.

Last edited:
  Clio 200 cup
That doesn't look right to me, my old v-maxx didnt look like that, I just went out and had a look at my k-tec coilovers
and they don't look anything like that, but I guess it could be that there a different spring.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
It's nothing to do with anything but the rear suspension. I nailed it into a corner this morning and you can feel the rear squirming slightly, slightly un-easing even with the ARB connected up

182 Turbo Project
My old V-Maxx kit didn't look like that at all.

I never had any knocking/banging from the rear. Only the top mounts made a bit of a creak.

It could be your spine Chris! Lol ;)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
lol well none of my other vmaxx kits have been like this, it feels unsafe when going flat round a corner, think I'll take it out on my dinner and have some fun, see if it continue's to do it, if I die blame vmaxx :)

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
chris try your standard rubber bushes mate, and makesure you really tighten it all up good style,

the vmaxx bushes are abit small for my liking,

but i know what you mean about not feeling safe at all,

feels like the back end is ready to drop off,

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
have the exact same issue myself mate but no cure i made a thread not long ago on all the things i checked. and when i was in jamsport getting the geo done he mentioned the rear being like that and mine looks just like yours.
if there is a way around it id love to know. i was thinking of getting different springs but dont know how that would work?

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
was just wandering if your springs look like that but they dont. i know marcushookdale had a similar thing problem with his.

i havent got my top rubber in on the spring but i have not had any knocking noise.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
hmmm wish there was a definitive answer as the last month iv just been trying to live with it but if its possible to stop it id bloody love to know how lol

Just wondering if they are a progressive spring which means they have to be instaled in the correct orientation, I've been looking at the instructuctions that cam with my B14's and they show the adjustor at the top, and the spring can only locate one way,wider coil spacing at the top/closer at the bottom.

Regards Russ..

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Phil have you ever owned vmaxx? I appreciate they aren't going to set the world on fire in the handling department, they're certainly an improvement over standard. I generally use them if I just want some lows, as I don't do any track work I'm not bothered about how stiff they are for the track etc.

ITB'd MK1
I'm pretty sure they've changed something tbh. I dont remember the springs being like that before and I've fitted a fair number. Will ask the question with the supplier

Phil have you ever owned vmaxx? I appreciate they aren't going to set the world on fire in the handling department, they're certainly an improvement over standard. I generally use them if I just want some lows, as I don't do any track work I'm not bothered about how stiff they are for the track etc.

Nope - I wouldn't fit them.
I had eibach sportlines before the billies and the car handled fantastically.
I don't see the point in buying a car that has thousands spent on suspension and then fitting some cheap £300 stuff
If you just want low then fair enough but obviously that will compromise the handling

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
^^^ i think he is saying the handling is fine as are mine certainly good enough for road use anyway. but the problem is not the performance of the coilovers but the issue with the rear springs making noises when you hit bumps in the road as its quite annoying. if it wasnt for that i would be very very happy with mine as for the price they are very good just need to sort this issue out.

alien green rs133
I thought it would be a hammer, the pikeys favourite tool lol
on a serious note, top nuts are tight (sounds daft but on some non oem shocks the metal inserts clunk) spring needs to be sat on one piece of rubber (usually the top side. and are the holes in the rear shockers for the bottom bolt a snug fit? ie a m12 bolt in an m14 hole

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
on a serious note, top nuts are tight (sounds daft but on some non oem shocks the metal inserts clunk) spring needs to be sat on one piece of rubber (usually the top side. and are the holes in the rear shockers for the bottom bolt a snug fit? ie a m12 bolt in an m14 hole

Yes everything is as it should be, going to try getting some bigger bushes as I have a feeling the ones that are on aren't big enough, I'll have a look around and see what I can get

Cheers

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Nope - I wouldn't fit them.
I had eibach sportlines before the billies and the car handled fantastically.
I don't see the point in buying a car that has thousands spent on suspension and then fitting some cheap £300 stuff
If you just want low then fair enough but obviously that will compromise the handling

I completely agree mate, obviously you track your car and you want a good set-up for both road and track, with the billstein stuff you're pretty much guarenteed the best of all worlds.

However whenever you lower a coilover to an ammount which is quite low which a lot of people do, the chances of it ever handling great are gone out of the window.

With the vmaxx + whiteline rear ARB, the set up actually isnt too bad. Ever since fitting them it's rained though so I've never been able to push on in them, but tbh I'm trying to calm down as the public road isn't the place to explore the limits of what's on offer

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
chris if you do manage to sort the problem out please could you post in here how you done it as id like to know thankyou.