ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bad Handling

Everybody raves about how well the Clio handles.
I don't know if it's just mine but I think it handles like sh1t!

The grip limit is FAR FAR too soon it's actually funny.
Is there something wrong with my car?

Clio MK2 PH2 1.2 16v 2004 - No handling modification done.

No offence intended, but it's a 1.2 Clio aimed at Mums and young girls. It's not going to handle like an F1 car.

If you're losing grip, it's more than likely your tyres. Are they good ones? Do they have plenty of tread left?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dont confuse grip and handling either, if you take a bad handling car and put sticky tyres on, it will still handle badly but will now grip less, likewise take a cliosport out in the rain and it wont have much grip but it will still handle very well.

Clio 182 Sport Cup
Hi there, mines a 2.0L cup chassis and it's awesome.

Are you under or over-steering?

Tyres, alignment, shocks etc. all in good order?

Good luck with a cure.

Listerine & Poledo
S'ok, Roy doesn't actually exist, Admin just start that bot every so often for da lolz

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
S'ok, Roy doesn't actually exist, Admin just start that bot every so often for da lolz

Fair one. Back on topic, sounds like the OP hasn't engaged Extreme mode. Would hazard a guess that could be the culprit. Failing that maybe cheap tyres?

ST
Even the standard 172s are a bit pony in the handling dept, best handling standard Clio I've ever had was the R27 I had brand new 5 years ago.. The 182 on I had previously on sportlines with cup suspension came a close second tho.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Facepalmland coilovers would be a good move

Best deals are on e-bay i heard.

Would steer clear of adding a trophy/v6 spoiler though. All that extra down force at the back would presumably only add to the OP's woes.

Listerine & Poledo
not downforce! :slap:

it reduces rear end lift. y0!

less lift means OP would be slower on hills

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
My bad, i always thought removing the anti-vibration shims from under the seats helped with anti-lift. Massively lowers CoG and helps keep the car much more planted iirc.

I might have to sell my trophy spoiler now. It must be losing me at least 10-12hp.

Listerine & Poledo
My bad, i always thought removing the anti-vibration shims from under the seats helped with anti-lift. Massively lowers CoG and helps keep the car much more planted iirc.

I might have to sell my trophy spoiler now. It must be losing me at least 10-12hp.

don't be too hasty, if you're going downhill you gain 15hp

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the 1.2's handle pretty well for what they are, lack of steering feel from the over asisted PAS is a bit weird but the fact it shares the same stiff bodyshell and chassis of the 172/182 means they do handle pretty well.

chances are now in 2012 though that most of them are running cheap pattern part springs after numerous MOT failures and cheap patern part dampers, budget tyres, worn steering parts etc so they are never gonna be great.

Sounds like the OP is throwing it into wet roundabouts far too fast and wondering why it doesnt handle like a clio 200!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cup ph2 are good too, better than a ph1 if anything.

Even a non cup ph2 is still far better than most cars.

225 Cup & Williams
Always wanted a shot of a cup to see what difference there is. I had cup shocks and sportlines fitted to my ph1 and the handling was brilliant.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
don't be too hasty, if you're going downhill you gain 15hp

This is a minefield. So if i just drive downhill i shouldnt lose any power & in fact gain 3-5hp?

Would you imagine installing cams from a twingo R.S. would be overkill with this setup?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Always wanted a shot of a cup to see what difference there is. I had cup shocks and sportlines fitted to my ph1 and the handling was brilliant.

The main thing you were still lacking was the extra caster from the cup arms, that really helps too.

Phase 1 plus cup bits is a real winning combination TBH

I took Mike from MWM's out at bedford recently, and it was superb.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Loved how my 182 cup handled.

Ph1 felt a little bit crap at first due to having tired shocks.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Put some good tyres on there like a michelin or continental with some stiffer springs and uprated dampers and you should see a good improvement