ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are there any panels shared between a 197 and standard clio?

Clio 1970000000
Had a good look at my car when washing it and I would say that apart from the bonnet, roof, tailgate and possibly the doors, every pannel on a 197 is different from a standard clio.

Considering that most companies use the same body parts and bolt on some extras this is highly impressive of Renault to invest so much in the 197 design.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
What? Is this another thread for owners to self congratulate themselves over their purchase?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Rear quaters ;)
The shell is bespoke, which is a good thing imo! Better than the MK2's :(

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Had a good look at my car when washing it and I would say that apart from the bonnet, roof, tailgate and possibly the doors, every pannel on a 197 is different from a standard clio.

Considering that most companies use the same body parts and bolt on some extras this is highly impressive of Renault to invest so much in the 197 design.

So front wings rear quarters and bumpers?

Wow

Clio 1970000000
So front wings rear quarters and bumpers?

Wow

Can't work out whether you are being cynical or not? Apologies if you are not but there are some real moody people on here.

Wings, rear quarters and bumpers is most of the body work and for a £16k car shows real commitment. This thread is just a comment on my behalf and a welcome change from the bolt on stuff. Makes me happy to own something different.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Can't work out whether you are being cynical or not? Apologies if you are not but there are some real moody people on here.

Wings, rear quarters and bumpers is most of the body work and for a £16k car shows real commitment. This thread is just a comment on my behalf and a welcome change from the bolt on stuff. Makes me happy to own something different.

I know exactly where your coming from. Too many mongs on here dont understand. Cant think of many mainstream cars under 20k that run bespoke shells? Most just change the bolt on stuff, bumpers, trims etc. To remanufacture the whole shell is good commitment from Renault. :)_

SQ5
There is a lot of moodiness lately on here! I loved that the 197 kind of copied the original Mk1 valver with the wider rear arches too!

197 Sport
It wasn't just the body on a 197.....a new design and geometry of suspension was included. To go further the 200 included a new engine, gearbox, steering, suspension and overall body design over the standard new shape clio. Most other hot hatch manufacturers just bolt on as already said etc.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Sorry... Renault didn't take the same body parts and bond on some extras with the vee?

Sorry, feel free to dismantle one to check but last time I looked there wasn't anything on a standard Clio shell that is far enough out to mount the skirts? And the panel underneath isn't recognisable as a Clio panel (you couldn't peel it off and say, 'look, a clio')...

So I stand by the above thanks!

Sorry, feel free to dismantle one to check but last time I looked there wasn't anything on a standard Clio shell that is far enough out to mount the skirts? And the panel underneath isn't recognisable as a Clio panel (you couldn't peel it off and say, 'look, a clio')...

would be interesting to see actually... anyone got a pic of a 'naked' v6?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Maybe they should of found some extra ponies and not worries so much about the shell, given that it doesn't translate to a faster car ;).

Oh wait they did. The 200!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols take the quarter off a v6 and have a laugh.

They have cut a big hole in the inner quarter panel, it's actually laughable!

The v6 is a bodge job bodykit wise, i'm sorry it is. Just look at the way the quarters are put on.

S4 Avant

The shell for a vee is the exact same as the shell for a 1.2, with some bits chopped out.

The vee even shares the same door skins as a 1.2! Stop being a such confrontational t**t, thanks

Better than yours. C*nt.
The shell for a vee is the exact same as the shell for a 1.2, with some bits chopped out.

The vee even shares the same door skins as a 1.2! Stop being a such confrontational tw*t, thanks

What the f**k!? Same door skins?

You mean these?

6bb70da0.jpg

Don't make me laugh. And the 197's shell is the same with a new 3/4 panel. Don't get yourself so excited!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Lols take the quarter off a v6 and have a laugh.

They have cut a big hole in the inner quarter panel, it's actually laughable!

The v6 is a bodge job bodykit wise, i'm sorry it is. Just look at the way the quarters are put on.

Yeah, and you're going to tell me that Renault did anything other than just weld a different quarter panel on rather than cutting off the 1.2 one that would have been welded on if Mrs. Smith wanted a 1.2 instead of a 197? It's not like it's rocket science!

Fools. It's a nice car. That's it! It's not a limited run, hand built piece of exotica. It's a Clio. That the robot picked a different style panel to weld onto the same shell.

It's not dedication, it's just another £10 a car.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I know exactly where your coming from. Too many mongs on here dont understand. Cant think of many mainstream cars under 20k that run bespoke shells? Most just change the bolt on stuff, bumpers, trims etc. To remanufacture the whole shell is good commitment from Renault. :)_

Bespoke shell?! What?!

You can MAKE a normal 1.2 into a 197. To complete the styling, you have to cut off and put in a 197 quarter. It's not the first time someone has done that, and it won't be the last.

f**k me, next thing some soft t**t with a Fiesta Zetec S Mk5 will declare the shell as 'Bespoke' because Ford rolled the arches.

Better than yours. C*nt.
What do you think lives under the body kit? a 1.2 door skin.

You're at it again, just trying to argue for arguments sake.

Ok, so what do you think lies under your 197's rear arch? The chassis and inner arches of a 1.2, with different struts.

Where would you like this to go, because you're failing miserably at defining the 197 as a 'bespoke' chassis?

I think what people are trying to say Mike, is that the v6 panels are simply stuck onto the standard clio panels... so is kind of a 'twin skin' if you like. Whether thats true or not I don't know, which is why it would be interesting to see a 'naked' pic of a v6.

The chassis is different to the shell, people seem to be getting confused in this thread!

Better than yours. C*nt.
I think what people are trying to say Mike, is that the v6 panels are simply stuck onto the standard clio panels... so is kind of a 'twin skin' if you like. Whether thats true or not I don't know, which is why it would be interesting to see a 'naked' pic of a v6

What the OP is failing to realise is that his 197 is the same as a 1.2 underneith the panels... as with most mainstream cars.

I think, bar the doors, they did cut the majority of it out. Whether they did a good job of cutting it (obviously this has to be gally's definition of good) isn't a part of the debate - the fact is they did exactly the same. Take old panel out, stick new panel on. And so the door is double-skinned - ah well, I'll live with that. Maybe I'll cut a hole in the bottom and fill it with loft insulation to keep me a bit warmer! It's not the end of the world but it's not the first time that someone's just 'tacked' the 'sports' bodykit over the top of the boggo. However chassis backwards of the B-pillar is near enough complete new fabrication - bar what's left of the C-pillar! You can hardly then hark on about how 'bespoke' the 197 chassis is when, relatively, it's got a set of bumpers and sideskirts.

I think 197 owners just seem to fail to comprehend that it cost Renault very little to put a different 3/4 on instead of the original at manufacture...

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I can't bilieve you nice people are getting so worked up over whether panels on a Clio are different to another spec. Who gives a flying f**k, they're still just s**t french hatchback, not some bespoke supermobile . . .

Better than yours. C*nt.
OMG! A v6 set on fire?

burnout60lt2bg.jpg

That's as late as the pictures go in the thread I saw, none with the fire out. Maybe something on Wrecked Exotics?

The vee even shares the same door skins as a 1.2! Stop being a such confrontational tw*t, thanks

Which is why all the 1.2 Vee replicas look perfect . . . lol.

Better than yours. C*nt.
nicooo_1124215742_accident_clio_v6.jpg

Best picture I can find showing the 'lack' of 3/4 panel underneath the bold on 'crap'... It was only an Illiad Blue one so no need to shed a tear...

DCi 100
Isn't the V6 ment to have longer wheel base? Or is that just because the offset of the rear beam because of the engine.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
nicooo_1124215742_accident_clio_v6.jpg

The bit I marked in yellow is the bit they have sawed out!

I've seen a few v6's naked and the door parts are just bonder over the original door, as you can see from the handle position.

The join going up the c post is something you would expect from barry boys so don't get on your high horse Mike.

Your car is still held together with tubes of bonding.

Better than yours. C*nt.
The bit I marked in yellow is the bit they have sawed out!

I've seen a few v6's naked and the door parts are just bonder over the original door, as you can see from the handle position.

The join going up the c post is something you would expect from barry boys so don't get on your high horse Mike.

Your car is still held together with tubes of bonding.

Yes, and the panel is bonded on. I've not argued otherwise anywhere have I?

The only difference here is they sawed the panel open on the Vee, whereas they just didn't put it on on the 197 and welded a different panel in.

Woooo, so much more 'bespoke'.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair the 197 isn't meant to be the same as a v6. If they done the same with the 197 they would still still big bits of fibreglass on it!

That's what they do!

Similar to the fancy megane they have brought out every bit of plastic just stuck on the body! Shocking!

Clio 1970000000
I don't know if the 197 has a bespoke or a tweaked standard chassis and was referring to the bespoke body parts. What I have read is that Renault did so much work on the rear axle/suspention etc that the wheelbase is longer than a standard Clio. Don't know how much of a difference this makes to the chassis?