ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone store their Clio and drive something else?

I can appreciate the garden stuff, all that sort of crap. But you said you dont take it shopping. Judging by that arse you'd get plenty in the boot, I just think its a waste having such a nice car and keeping it in the garage.

If its sole purpose is for a bit of weekend fun, why didnt you get something a bit more wild?

If you could afford to do it would you ? I know I would :approve:

PMSL at a bit more wild, im guessing he bought the car HE wanted to buy becuase HE liked it and at the end of the day its him that works hard for the money to pay for it?

Whats so funny about suggesting he could of got something more wild?

An R26 is a hot hatch which by their very nature are a nice compromise between performance and practicality, because they are based on a more mundane model. That way you can use them everyday no probs. If your going to have a car just for fun why do you need the practicality side? Why not get something even more performance orientated?

I'm just pointing out that what Revels said isn't a stupid suggestion, as you say Gareth is free to spend his money as he likes.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
Nothing wrong in storing the car you want to keep mint, no matter what it is.. i dont care what people think and theres so many bad drivers about..
We store our mint williams 3 over the winter and then use it in the summer... If we used it every day the chances are it would have been written off by now lol in feb 07 when it snowed, my everyday laguna was written off by a crazed van driver. I was so glad i wasnt in the clio. (and i do 50 miles a day to work so its just so much better to have another car to do everything else in)
I'm half on the lookout for a mint 182 and that will be stored too when its winter, i'd rather drive round in my cheap car than ruin something i've worked hard to buy with my own money.. your not alone Rich ;) lol

True dat.com :approve:

I've got 474 all tucked up in the garage. Gonna use the dynamique over the christmas period.

is that a plane ;)

Last edited:

Maz

LY 200
If you could afford to do it would you ? I know I would :approve:

PMSL at a bit more wild, im guessing he bought the car HE wanted to buy becuase HE liked it and at the end of the day its him that works hard for the money to pay for it?

Whats so funny about suggesting he could of got something more wild?

An R26 is a hot hatch which by their very nature are a nice compromise between performance and practicality, because they are based on a more mundane model. That way you can use them everyday no probs. If your going to have a car just for fun why do you need the practicality side? Why not get something even more performance orientated?

I'm just pointing out that what Revels said isn't a stupid suggestion, as you say Gareth is free to spend his money as he likes.

And the latter is the point I was making, I wasn't saying the suggestion was stupid it just made me laugh.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
the reason I changed from my 172 to the 225 was because I wanted something safer to drive, with me being 6ft 3, I didn't feel too comfortable at speed in the 172, especially seeing the results of some rolled ones (for those of you who remember Roamer). I don't think for 1 second I wouldn't be having LOTS more fun in an Elise (i've driven one around track) but I prefer to live another day to have some more tamer fun.

Iceberg 172
My Clio is my daily runaround! :rasp: It's modern, fast, quiet, safe, has ABS and is reliable :)S ) - everything my Alfa isn't. :rolleyes: ;)

Since my wife got a family car as her work's lease car, I've swapped a £7.5k Vauxhall Zafira for my Alfa, a car I've always wanted, and the Clio 172 as a small, modern, cheap, but nippy everyday car.

All of which means I can enjoy every journey, whether it be the commute to work or fast motorway trip in the Clio, or social and summer trips out in the Alfa. The 172's a great car, but not that special, rare or fragile that it needs wrapping in cotton wool. And to top it all nicely, both are well respected and have enthusiastically dedicated owners clubs and forums :)

Job's a good 'un.

Clio 172 mk2
And I thought I was anal about my car !

I'm probably one of the most anal, I work hard for my cash and hate the 99% of tossers on this planet who couldn't give a rats ass about other peoples possesions.

I agree with that as well but TBH I find being overly protective and worrying about cars stressful and I don't need that in life.

If you have the space i.e large garage, live in a nice area and have the time to look after your car that's good....I do feel for people who live in areas where cars get vandalised etc on a regular basis

Iceberg 172
And when the kids have grown up and I can afford it, the Alfa's going to be replaced by a Caterham! :rasp:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
each to their own, I can fully understand people continuing to use their car regardless, but I for one would rather keep it protected, I get more enjoyment out of it that way. If i NEEDED to use my car more often I'd be buying second hand and not worrying about it (as much) ;)

M2 Competition
I can appreciate the garden stuff, all that sort of crap. But you said you dont take it shopping. Judging by that arse you'd get plenty in the boot, I just think its a waste having such a nice car and keeping it in the garage.

If its sole purpose is for a bit of weekend fun, why didnt you get something a bit more wild?

easy one to answer, it doesn't get used for shopping to avoid dents, scrapes, scratches etc. The Scenic takes the hits, (literally, its just had a £1000 replacement tailgate due to some tool hitting it then driving off) I didn't buy an Elise, VX220 etc for 2 reasons, 1st of all I don't like buying second hand cars (that's not being snobby, I just have yet to meet someone who looks after their car better than I do) and 2nd of all because of the way I drive, I want something safer, the Megane is it. The Megane is also used a fast/comfortable motorway cruiser to take me to my Mum and Dad's in North Wales (London>North Wales) so an Elise type car would be neither comfortable or have the luggage space)

But you could take the scenic to north wal... lost cause.

182trophy & Williams
I've got 474 all tucked up in the garage. Gonna use the dynamique over the christmas period.

Why exactly? What do you think will happen to it over Christmas?

why? - Its my pride and joy mate. I worked fooking hard to get that motor!

what will happen over xmas? - Some fuckwit will either drive in to me or cause me to have an accident.

And i'll be dammed if my liitle baby is gettin all the salt n s**t of the roads if she doesn't have to be driven:eek:

Rudi

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
^Exactly what i'd do in your situation. Wouldn't even have to worry about cleaning the dynamic

M2 Competition
And then one day you'll sell it for no more money than anyone elses car, and regret not having driven it while you had it.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
The way i see it, it wouldn't be about the money (trade value). If you have (and can afford to run two) cars, then why not keep your nicer one in a minter condition?

Im as bad as Rich if I could I would keep the Lupo as a weekend car and just get a runabout. Although having said that if you are going to have a weekend car you may aswell go all out and have an elise/ caterfield.

I love the Lupo but im fed up of worrying about it, there about £250 worth of damage on it now that needs sorting. Tempted to cash the tax and insurance in and store it in my grans garage till the summer and get a 106 diesel in the mean time.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
The way i see it, it wouldn't be about the money (trade value). If you have (and can afford to run two) cars, then why not keep your nicer one in a minter condition?

Clean it then?
Cleaning is a chore and takes hours. My point is you wouldn't have to clean it as often. Plus the fact that driving in the winter is more iffy than other times.

Bare in mind i'm talking about just a month or so during the winter. It just makes sense to me considering he already has another car.

182 FF & 306 Rallye
My Clio just sits on the drive between trackdays. Being track prep'd its uncomfortable to drive everyday. I don't bother storing it though, it needs a quick run every few weeks imo. Would never store a car away regardless of what it was, maybe just get a cover to protect the paint when not in use.

Tbh my 306 Rallye is great as a daily driver and better day to day that the Clio was when it was standard.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
easy one to answer, it doesn't get used for shopping to avoid dents, scrapes, scratches etc. The Scenic takes the hits, (literally, its just had a £1000 replacement tailgate due to some tool hitting it then driving off) I didn't buy an Elise, VX220 etc for 2 reasons, 1st of all I don't like buying second hand cars (that's not being snobby, I just have yet to meet someone who looks after their car better than I do) and 2nd of all because of the way I drive, I want something safer, the Megane is it. The Megane is also used a fast/comfortable motorway cruiser to take me to my Mum and Dad's in North Wales (London>North Wales) so an Elise type car would be neither comfortable or have the luggage space)

But you could take the scenic to north wal... lost cause.

not really, it doesn't have enough grunt on the motorway and its a safe/functional car for my girlfriend to use when I am away, it also means she can take the dogs out by herself easily (because of the low boot floor the dogs can jump in and out).

Maz

LY 200
I dont know why you are bothering to explain yourself Gareth, its your car, your money, your choice, nothing to do with anyone else, you enjoy it so who cares what anyone else thinks or says !! :)

Mondeo TDCI 130
I do!!! Mine is presently locked in a garage, with 2 egyptian cotton sheets over it!! he he he! run the dehumidifier evry week dfor a day to keep the damp at bay! thats it until the summer!! apart from some trips to thw workshop for mods! about 500 yards away!!

Mondeo TDCI 130
Who gives a s**t what it is! i was the same with my vts, and my scooby!! How do you think all these mint classics get there in the end? because someone cherishes them when there not a classic, 205GTI's, golfs etc! they dont get battered silly then someone suddenly decides they will look after it!!

PS, mine did 2000 miles since i bought it mid summer! he he he!!

Mondeo TDCI 130
I find it funny how the same car is being put away for winter and someone else is using it for his run around!! LOL

different kind of life aint it! If i had plenty of money i would be hacking around in the cup and treating it like a skip, and the porker or ferrari would be tucked up! Unfortunately, im a mechanic, so have to make do with the french tin hot hatch!:approve:

Iceberg 172
I guess the argument is whether your chosen RenaultSport is 'special' enough to warrant special treatment, in a way that is more easily understood for more exotic, expensive or impractical cars.

The fact that RS models are neither of these things (with the exception of the Vee) means that they are more commonly going to be bought as a compromise between a practical daily driver and a performance car.

But at the end of the day, enthusiasts, which most of us here would classify ourselves as by the very fact that we're here, tend to cherish their pride & joy more than the average Joe. And that pride and joy might be your first Ph1 172 that you've scrimped and saved for something truly special like a V6, depending on where you are in your car ownership career. So each to their own.

Iceberg 172
So each to their own.

Having said that, you always get some OCD nutters in any walk of car life. Think of the 'Rich's of the Austin Allegro world, polishing their square steering wheels. Now they really are a spark short of a four-stroke....

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Talking of storing cars, has anyone got a guide on what to do with regard to leaving it parked up for 9 months? I am off travelling in 2 months time and my 182 is going to be put in the garage for that time.

clio 2.0 sport 172
my car has lay in the garage the last 4 weeks and just been using my company car for a few reasons 1. the price of petrol the now company pays my diesel 2. the crap weather the with all that nasty salt on the road 3. wont need any touchups done to it next year i.e stonechips from grit and salt etc i like to protect and look after my car :)

Don't even talk to me about stone chips, I actually considered a bra for a few moments, then drank an entire bottle of washing up liquid as punishment.

Talking of storing cars, has anyone got a guide on what to do with regard to leaving it parked up for 9 months? I am off travelling in 2 months time and my 182 is going to be put in the garage for that time.

I think you should aim to have as little fuel as possible in the tank, over inflate the tyres so they don't flat spot, dis-connect battery, park in gear rather than handbrake.