ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone sold their Clio Sport, bought something else and regretted it?

DB.

BMW 440i
All the megs I've driven have dire steering. Not sure if it's the diff, or the suspension combined with the diff etc, but the R26 is a much better steer. Once you get used to using the diff, left footbraking etc, it add's a new dimension to FWD driving.
Depends how you drive though. I imagine 80% of people really wouldn't notice as much of a difference.

See, now I would do the occasional track day, but wouldn't be a die hard, and don't want a completely track focused car etc.

The problem with forums, is everyone has different aims, and people get it in there head they have to have this, have to have that, have to strip it etc for what needs to be an everyday car!

I won't be doing left footed braking, Im an OK driver but not trying to be the next Senna! lol I imagine a nice Ph2 225 with the big comfy lux leather seats would suit me lol! Especially when doing the motorway miles between Nottingham to Redditch and then Bham every 2/3 weeks. Just want a bigger car with a slightly comfier/nicer cabin, with similar performance to my 182! Just need to test drive one and make sure it is a definite improvement for me! :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
See, now I would do the occasional track day, but wouldn't be a die hard, and don't want a completely track focused car etc.

The problem with forums, is everyone has different aims, and people get it in there head they have to have this, have to have that, have to strip it etc for what needs to be an everyday car!

I won't be doing left footed braking, Im an OK driver but not trying to be the next Senna! lol I imagine a nice Ph2 225 with the big comfy lux leather seats would suit me lol! Especially when doing the motorway miles between Nottingham to Redditch and then Bham every 2/3 weeks. Just want a bigger car with a slightly comfier/nicer cabin, with similar performance to my 182! Just need to test drive one and make sure it is a definite improvement for me! :)
You're not even after cup packs? I can't stress strongly enough just how average the standard setup is, really not very good at all. At the very least get cup suspension. The R26 is a 9/10. The standard 225 is 5/10.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
ph1 172 - mini cooper s
mini cooper s - trophy
trophy-.....possibly another mini, missing the build quality already and they're just as fun, all be it they dont have recaro's and turini's :(

DB.

BMW 440i
PM Brownbear!

Still getting to grips with the many combinations of the Meganes available. Joined up to Meganesport last night, will hopefully learn a few bits and bobs on there as i did on here!

Mondeo diesel barge
Really miss the 182 :( Definitely regret selling it, but didn't really have the choice (Well that's a bit crap, but would be living off fresh air if I'd have kept it, first flat and all that). Think I'll be after a 200 next when everything is nice and settled.

GTD, Lupo
This is my first clio and has been by far the most enjoyable car i have owned to date. Next car is going to be a hard choice. THink its going to have to be a meg 250 or another fresh 200 then hold out and see what the next gen clio looks like as i dont think there is much i can get for the money in the market that is as good.

Paul

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
This is my first clio and has been by far the most enjoyable car i have owned to date. Next car is going to be a hard choice. THink its going to have to be a meg 250 or another fresh 200 then hold out and see what the next gen clio looks like as i dont think there is much i can get for the money in the market that is as good.

Paul
Wait for the end of generation special. The last couple have been great (Trophy/R26R), so there's potential!

340i
If you are going to purchase a megane at the very least it needs to be cup packed... The standard 225's are just so damn average! Nothing special about the handling / feedback etc. The r26 runs Eibach suspension,
Larger arb, LSD, larger brake master cylinder and a few other extras :)

GTD, Lupo
Wait for the end of generation special. The last couple have been great (Trophy/R26R), so there's potential!

Yeah I imagine I will be looking in about 18 months from now so will be interesting to see what Rs can come up with between now and then. As long as it's a better effort than the gordini!

Paul

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yep, massively regret selling my 197. Yeah, i have a few more k towrds my house deposit, but i do miss the Recaros/speedlines/looks. Should have just run it into the ground i think

:(

Nimbus Megane R26
didnt know the R26's had eibach suspension lol. Learn summet new everyday!

Iv never been on track and even i can tell the differnece of having an LSD lol

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Had Ph1 for 2 years .. sold it .. no regrets so far. Rob(bos) is always around if I want to rape a clio about, although it's normally in pieces on my driveway, or I can just drive the missus' 182.

Kinda fancy a Trophy to say "I've had one" but it's going to feel no faster (if not a little slower) than the Ph1, and then there's the fly-by-wire throttle which drives me insane !!

There's a list as long as my arm of cars I want to own. Mk2's are beginning to get on now, and I dont like the mk3's so I doubt I'll be back to a surrendermobile anytime soon.

We shall see though ....

:coffee:

172 Cup
I had a 172 cup then wrote it off :dead: I then got a mint Civic VTi was good but couldn't live with the lack of torque! So now I'm back with a 172 cup :cool:

White clique
had a 172 - changed to 182, was OK. But got very bored of the 182, fed up almost
had the 182 and changed to 197 - no regrets whatsoever
had the 197 be decided i wanted something totally different, got a BMW and love it

The 182 was the Clio i really didnt care that much about.

Mini Cooper S sport
Haven't regretted swapping the 182 for an R26 for a moment.

My problem will be what to eventually replace the Meg with.

Had loads of fun in my 182 but I wouldn't go back unless it was for financial reasons. Long live the bean and all that but, no, I don't regret selling it. Not even a little bit.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
In general terms, it seems to depend on they type of driver you are. Those that drive b-roads etc, and do track days seem to prefer the rawer feel of the older cars. Those that don't tend to prioritise different things.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
at times i miss the 200 and consider marching down to renault and ordering a storm grey one but then i just go for a blast in the megane and that cures it, i think the clio is more chuckable and alot more fun but the megane is easier day to day.

lynden

DB.

BMW 440i
at times i miss the 200 and consider marching down to renault and ordering a storm grey one but then i just go for a blast in the megane and that cures it, i think the clio is more chuckable and alot more fun but the megane is easier day to day.

lynden

This is what i want tbf. As gay as it sounds, id rather look like i owner a 'better car' to those not in the know (Eg, Birds) and have a nicer cabin to sit in etc than the clio which is a rawer car with a slightly crummy interior, the megane isn't miles better, but is a nicer car for day to day use imo.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
This is what i want tbf. As gay as it sounds, id rather look like i owner a 'better car' to those not in the know (Eg, Birds) and have a nicer cabin to sit in etc than the clio which is a rawer car with a slightly crummy interior, the megane isn't miles better, but is a nicer car for day to day use imo.
Look at a MK5 Golf GTi fella. Better to drive. I've been in a Golf with 70k miles on it, felt more solid than a 225 with half the miles.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Had loads of fun in my 182 but I wouldn't go back unless it was for financial reasons. Long live the bean and all that but, no, I don't regret selling it. Not even a little bit.

This is probably because what you progressed to though, the Focus RS is in a different league to a Renault Sport Clio..

Had it been anything less i might see how/why you would have missed your old 182.

Pound for pound they are hard to beat, in their class anyway!

DB.

BMW 440i
Look at a MK5 Golf GTi fella. Better to drive. I've been in a Golf with 70k miles on it, felt more solid than a 225 with half the miles.

Would love one, but too expensive. I'd end up with one on over 90,000 miles and a bit of a shed/not in great condition! :(

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I sold my phase 1 about 3 months ago for an Impreza WRX.

I'd always wanted one, my folks have had them and I'd always liked driving them, but now owning it I'm feeling a little meh about it.

Don't regret changing, if I hadn't have taken the plunge when I had god knows how long it'd have been before I'd have bought something new, but not sure the Impreza is right for me now.

So very tempted by a 197 I've seen, anyone reckon it'd be a good shout? :)

Problem is my commute is about 3 or 4 miles traffic, then dc@70 for 20 miles. So the Impreza is great at that, albeit a little thirsty, but god it does not handle at all. A quick blast down a nice b road, or over some roundabouts, and I've no confidence in it at all. Partly because it's still new to me (although done almost 4000 miles in it in 3 months) but it just doesn't feel right.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
^^And I bet the brakes are poo??

Not total poo, but nothing like the old car :( Fired an email off to that garage asking what kind of px they'd do with the Impreza, waiting to hear back...

Last edited:
  MCS R56
Sold the Clio and bought a 3 series. No regrets at all - it was a joy going from the Clio to something that felt so solid. Enjoyed both cars for different reasons.

Deja vu 182
Looking at buying my 3rd 182 , had an impreza wrx and a derv mondeo in between them . Keep going back , for the money hard to beat tbh . Miss my first B/G 182 the most

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I sold my phase 1 about 3 months ago for an Impreza WRX.Problem is my commute is about 3 or 4 miles traffic, then dc@70 for 20 miles. So the Impreza is great at that, albeit a little thirsty, but god it does not handle at all. A quick blast down a nice b road, or over some roundabouts, and I've no confidence in it at all. Partly because it's still new to me (although done almost 4000 miles in it in 3 months) but it just doesn't feel right.

It took me a little while to adjust to 4wd but I think I got the hang of it now. My scoob would demolish roundabouts where the clio previously felt fast enough.

Is yours standard !?

RS Clio Trophy
I had a 172, bought a Golf GTI Turbo, hated it, sold it for a 172.

I had that 172, needed 4 doors so bought an Evo 4, loved it but wife hated it so sold it for a 172.

I sold that 172 for a E36 BMW M3 and loved it but not as much fun as a clio.

So I sold that and bought the Valver and 172'd it. :D

I think the problem is, getting a 'thrill' out of a cheap hatchback is easy. Getting a thrill out of something that weighs nearly 2 tonnes and has 320bhp is not as easy, certainly not on public roads anyway!

this post genuinely made me laugh:) Me and my girlfriend had a little boy 6 months ago and i was gutted cos i was gonna have to sell the T as we needed a car with more room, then she got a new job with a 7 seat company car so i got to keep the T, happy days:approve:

Last edited:

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Now I've done quite a lot of driving in the Impreza this week and it's making me like it again. Lots of big roads where it's comfy, quiet, got some pull on the motorways/dcs where the Clio would not have as much puff. And it coped with all the kit I had to lug around no problem.

I think my problem is I need 2 cars, a bigger car for that kind of driving and something little and nippy for having fun little blasts in.

But the impreza is staying, for now, and might relent and treat it to some new springs + decent pads or something.

Impreza Type RA
Sold my 172 & upgraded to an Impreza Type R, only thing I regretted was crashing it lol.

I've now settled for an Impreza Type RA, totally different to a Clio, hopefully I won't have to go back!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Sold my Ph1 172 and bought a Golf GTi 1.8T. Only really regretted it as the Golf was sooooo thirsty.

So, went back to a 172 Cup and then sold that for a Bora TDi to save some pennies for my wedding and now baby on the way. I've not regretted selling the second Clio but there are days when I'd like to be in a hot hatch...

Tempted with a Mk5 Golf GTi in 12 months or so.

clio 172 cup
I swaped my 172cup for 3 nissan sunnys, i polish them every day, and made plenty of new asian friends, try it lads :clown:

320d
I don't regret selling my ph1 172 because I did it for financial reasons. However I'll be back in another 1*2 as soon as I decide to get another car. I'll probably go for a 182 as they're a bit newer, may stretch to a trophy.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Regretted selling my first ph1 to get an Auris SR 180 company car that I travelled to the other end of the country to buy another when I'd done some wheeling and dealing to get the funds together!

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
I swaped my 172cup for 3 nissan sunnys, i polish them every day, and made plenty of new asian friends, try it lads :clown:

I've got a golden tissue box for the rear parcel shelf for sale in the ads section if your interested?

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
had a 172 - changed to 182, was OK. But got very bored of the 182, fed up almost
had the 182 and changed to 197 - no regrets whatsoever
had the 197 be decided i wanted something totally different, got a BMW and love it

The 182 was the Clio i really didnt care that much about.

wash your mouth out!!