ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone Got a phase 2 dci 65bhp?

Renault clio 2005
Ok So Just want people who have this car to give me a brief review. e.g performance and Mpg.

I am Teaching people to drive in a 2005 1.4 16 valve. But I am Not making enough profit currently due to cost of fuel and I am wondering if I would save Much cash if I swapped my car to a dci 65 model. Just wanna know what people think of the car. does it cost alot to repair? Is It reliable? :approve:
My Mpg around town when teaching is around 28mpg On a long drive with a learner I normally get 36mpg.

Last edited:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Expensive when they go wrong, ive been there. Really good cars though, expect 48-50 stop start and 60mpg on runs, dci 80 is your best bet, mpg is higher to.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As above.

They're getting old now and unless kept on top of, they break and when they break, they're fcuking expensive.

Renault clio 2005
As above.

They're getting old now and unless kept on top of, they break and when they break, they're fcuking expensive.

thanks for the advice guys. :) is there any particular problems they have? Is it the turbo that fails?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Injectors and fuel pumps are the biggest expense and seem to be what cause the problems.

Then there's the niggly bits like the EGR valves etc.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
On a £2000 clio dci a set of injectors and a fuel pump would probably write it off.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Turbos are good, mrs old one was sold to a work mate, its on the original clucth and turbo at just over 140k. I had to replace all 4 injectors when we had it as one went down and Renault only sold them as a set of 4 with pipes and reprog disc. I didnt really pay anything for them as my manager is a legend!

Injector set was £400 + vat just for the parts iirc, fuel pumps are like £700 but they dont really give much trouble unless you have crap in your fuel tank and then metal swarf destroys the injection system as the pump breaks down.

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
false economy for a driving school car, 1.2 16v, bullet proof, will do 140k without needing anything other than a service, do 40mpg+ all day long and much better for learning in, diesels scare the s**t out of learners when they start running away from you at low RPM, then when the pupil finally passes and gets a petrol car they cant pull away without constantly stalling lol!

Renault clio 2005
false economy for a driving school car, 1.2 16v, bullet proof, will do 140k without needing anything other than a service, do 40mpg+ all day long and much better for learning in, diesels scare the s**t out of learners when they start running away from you at low RPM, then when the pupil finally passes and gets a petrol car they cant pull away without constantly stalling lol!

All good points made :) Thanks for the replies. Really don`t wanna change My clio But just need to find a way to increase profit margins. With the rising cost of fuel :( I Can`t really Put prices up Currently. I am The only Instructor In My area with a petrol car lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
we are the same everyones using diesels around here, we were mk2 clios, mk3 clios then swapped over to twingos, pile 40k a year on them then chop them at 3yrs old around 120k , they get serviced every 18k and that is all they ever need other than tyres and brakes. uber cheap to run!

i assume a 2005 1.4 16v is most likely a mk3 clio? (its on the change over period but 1.4 was never common in mk2?) we found when going to mk3 clios 1.2 16v vs 1.2 16v that they were not far off 10mpg worse than the mk2!, thats why were back with twingos so its worth looking at them or a mk2 clio 1.2 16v if your willing to go older.

we've never had to change a clutch on one even on a few that have reached 150k, infact genuinely over the 10-15 cars from 2001 when we started using renault all that has needed done was a coil pack on 2 early mk2 ph2's and a mk3 1.2 16v that let go of its timing belt at 30k!!

Previous toyota starlets were doing 250k in 4yrs on factory everything inc clutch lol

Renault clio 2005
That is amazing 250k. My car is 05 mk2 dynamique. and yeah clio clutches are very very strong. Are you a Driving instructor Martin?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ah right, one of my ex mrs had a 1.6 16v wich is a very similar engine and it was terrible on fuel compaired to the 1.2 16v.

no mate, family run a business, was always going to join it when i turned 21 originally but didnt bother as id imagine its much the same where you are now, getting over crowded with new schools and not as much money in it as there used to be

Renault clio 2005
ah right, one of my ex mrs had a 1.6 16v wich is a very similar engine and it was terrible on fuel compaired to the 1.2 16v.

no mate, family run a business, was always going to join it when i turned 21 originally but didnt bother as id imagine its much the same where you are now, getting over crowded with new schools and not as much money in it as there used to be

Yeah Mate very true alot of people doing silly deals too get the business bill plant advertize 5 lessons for 56 quid. and that is in a brand new audi a3. But I love the job Just a shame the money is not great. Am Hoping to build the driving school up and get franchise income from other instructors. But It takes a while to do that without a huge marketing budget. and yeah I taught In a 1.2 16 valve years ago mate was great on fuel. Got this 1.4 cause I thought It would be alot quicker. But Tbh it aint that much quicker really lol.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah not sure how their instructors can be making much profit once they pay there share to bill plant! your best bet is just to build the reputation, get an advert at the local high school, i see quite a bit poping up on facebook but not something we have tried yet, a few about here are running audis etc but most of our pupils are paranoid enough about bumping a twingo never mind an audi so its not something we would consider and definately not the best financial move on an audi a3 when you could run 2 twingos doing twice the work for the same cash lol!!

Renault clio 2005
yeah not sure how their instructors can be making much profit once they pay there share to bill plant! your best bet is just to build the reputation, get an advert at the local high school, i see quite a bit poping up on facebook but not something we have tried yet, a few about here are running audis etc but most of our pupils are paranoid enough about bumping a twingo never mind an audi so its not something we would consider and definately not the best financial move on an audi a3 when you could run 2 twingos doing twice the work for the same cash lol!!

Yeah Good advice mate Bill plant wrote to me offering me a job lol. I was not interested cannot stomach there 5 for £56 offers. will probably keep my 1.4 and teach more eco driving lol. But May change to a 1.2 16 valve or a dci 65. But Not 100% sure yet heard some good stuff about the dci 65 doing 65mpg plus mate

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive had a few dci clios they are good cars will do mega mpg, we drove from scotland to wales for the WRC and my mpg was in the 90's for most of it lol!!!

DCi 80 does the best mpg out of the 3 mk2 versions.

diesels dont like driving about town all day with an average speed of about 10mph though lol not a problem when you are buying brand new and chopping it in every 3 years or so and under warranty but seeing you are considering a dci65 its going to be at least 5years old if its a late campus model, and i wouldnt want to run the risk of it breaking, when diesels go wrong, they go wrong! a fuel pump failure can set you over £1500 to put right and a week or more off the road!

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
diesels scare the s**t out of learners when they start running away from you at low RPM, then when the pupil finally passes and gets a petrol car they cant pull away without constantly stalling lol!

This was exactly my experience. I learnt very fast and I still miss the ability to manoeuvre with just the clutch.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
]

Serious?? That's an awesome tip if its true!

Www.cliodci.net is your friend...

DCI RAZ has a good tip, go to Nissan for parts.
He got a set of 4 dCi 100 injectors for £250 iirc

its true, nissan sell bits way cheaper than renault for the same stuff lol.
admittedly i did borrow my dads BAE systems pass to get abit more nocked off at trade price.