ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone downloading Windows 7 Beta tomorrow? Legally!

Evo 8 MR
It is a joke that they are at public beta stages for a new OS already. I'm just glad I didn't invest my bank account into Vista.

Not a Clio
Vista wasn't/isn't that expensive. I bought Home Premium OEM for about £70. It was released at the start of 2007 and Windows 7 isn't due until the end of 2009, possibly later so it has been out for 3 years.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Screenshot.png

nice Scuderia pic, where from?

well its installed looks alright goes alright but not too won over on the look of the task bar at the moment but it is just using crappy intel built in graphics

MP3 files

When MP3 files are added (either manually or automatically) to either the Windows Media Player or the Windows Media Center library, or if the file metadata is edited with Windows Explorer, several seconds of audio data may be permanently removed from the start of the file. This issue occurs when files contain thumbnails or other metadata of significant size before importing or editing them.

To avoid this, take the following steps:
To protect your MP3 files

1. Before you install this beta release, back up all MP3 files that might be accessed by the computer, including those on removable media or shared network resources.
2. Ensure that all MP3 files are set to read-only. To do this, in Windows Explorer, find the files, right-click them, click the General tab, and then select the Read-only check box.
3. Install this beta release of Windows 7.
4. Read the article and install the update available at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=139391.
5. Once you have installed the update, you can safely reset the read/write status of your MP3 files to your preference.

If you do not want to install the update, you can avoid this issue by setting all MP3 files that might be accessed to the computer to read-only as in Step 2.

More info here http://download.microsoft.com/downl...0498E/Windows 7 Beta Release Notes.htm#ID0E6G

Not too sure if it was posted

Scirocco GT 2.0

Well as said, I tested W7 out on the above today, with 512MB RAM (thought we'd push it to the limit)

And I have to say, the results were suprisingly good. Runs much better than Vista would on that machine. I would say it runs almost as well as XP on this spec machine.

Very responsive, didn't seem to have much trouble at all..

P120109_1555.jpg

Test1.png

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
just gave this a bash as i was bored, wish i hadnt bothered scrolling via touchpad dosent work :(

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
managed to sort out the touchpad but it still seems very unstable to me, with a lot of apps hanging indefinately and not even being able to close them via task manager etc

Facelift R53 Cooper S
i've got it running on a desktop machine and it works fine!

the machine has dual core intel processors with 1GB of ram and it flies!

i've installed office 2007, firefox, chrome, adobe reader 8 (adobe 9 froze on install) and treesize pro (file analyzing software) and they all run fine.

also joined it to a domain and only problem i found is our scripts won't run, the policy's ran though.....

have had it running accross the network to a network projector and it was stable whilst performing other tasks

couldn't get Mcafee 8.5 enterprise edition to run though (it works on vista)

other than that its fine, i like it...........also really impressed with how stable it is considering its a beta release.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
installed on my spare partition to make it dual boot on my Acer aspire 5630 laptop, only thing i had to manually install was the synaptics mouse driver to enable scroll.

no crasher or issues here

DMS

A thirsty 172
Had a beta version of it for ages (got it as part of our Technet subscription at work).
It ran really well on my work laptop... I was quite impressed with how flashy it was while managing to maintain a good level of performance.

Lupo GTI
Just completing installation now.
Just waiting for desktop to reboot.
Any patches I should be installing or is everything running fine besides the mp3 problem noted above.

J

jakm15

windows 7 ultimate (bag of sh*t)

just downloaded and installed a beta version of the new windows 7 ultimate, tbh it seems exactly the same as vista but worse. it installed problem free but none of my devices work with it and when i installed norton 360 beta for windows 7 it just froze. i think ill be sticking to xp as windows 7 is looking like a big failure just like vista

any1 else installed it??

Re: windows 7 ultimate (bag of sh*t)

I love it when techno lepers blame anything that Google tells them they can.

Roffle at Norton. I'd rather have a suite of trojans.

172//Crap Micra//Bus

You clearly have no idea... I'm still using it, 1 or 2 very minor issues but nothing serious. Certainly a vast improvement on Vista, dare I say almost as good, and stable as XP?! I'll be switching back to Vista next week, but only as I was only having a play with 7.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

just downloaded and installed a beta version of the new windows 7 ultimate, tbh it seems exactly the same as vista but worse. it installed problem free but none of my devices work with it and when i installed norton 360 beta for windows 7 it just froze. i think ill be sticking to xp as windows 7 is looking like a big failure just like vista

any1 else installed it??

Seriously m8. Unscrewing your petrol cap and emptying a bag of Tate & Lyle's finest in there, will do less damage than 'installing' Norton onto any PC.

Even people I don't like - I tell them not to bother with Norton.

D.

J

jakm15

TBH you fail... Not Windows 7.

PS = Did you not notice the Technology section where this was discussed, at length, weeks ago?!?!?

nope i didnt, what do you mean i fail?????

You clearly have no idea... I'm still using it, 1 or 2 very minor issues but nothing serious. Certainly a vast improvement on Vista, dare I say almost as good, and stable as XP?! I'll be switching back to Vista next week, but only as I was only having a play with 7.

i do have an idea you should be able to install an os and not have to f**k about with it trying to get all of your stuff to work with it, with xp you install it and it works, i know windows 7 is a beta at the moment but it looks really s**t as well

Seriously m8. Unscrewing your petrol cap and emptying a bag of Tate & Lyle's finest in there, will do less damage than 'installing' Norton onto any PC.

Even people I don't like - I tell them not to bother with Norton.

D.

ye norton breaks anything its installed on, it stops bitcomet downloading anything and just generally breaks all the time.

172 Cup

PMSL..

I suggest you go and look up the definition of "beta" and then relax.

J

jakm15

PMSL..

I suggest you go and look up the definition of "beta" and then relax.

Definition: A beta test is a limited release of a product with a goal of finding bugs before the final release. Software testing is often referred to by the terms "alpha" and "beta."
Generally speaking, the alpha test is an internal test to find bugs, and the beta test is an external test. During the alpha phase, the product is opened up to employees of the company and, sometimes, friends and family. During the beta phase, the product is opened up to a limited number of customers.
Sometimes, beta tests are referred to as "open" or "closed". A closed beta test has a limited number of spots open for testing, while an open beta has either an unlimited number of spots (i.e. anyone who wants to can participate) or a very large number of spots in cases where opening it up to everyone is impractical.

its still annoyin and poo!! (like vista)

Scirocco GT 2.0
Windows 7 is brilliant imo. I've been using it more and more since it was first released.

Not perfect! (feedback has been sent) but it has massive potential. I really think it will be the next XP in terms of popularity.

As said, Norton is severely rubbish, always has been. AVG works with W7 so maybe give that a go instead if you want something free.

People are too quick to judge sometimes ;) "Oh feck I can't use it, it's crap" "Oh it looks a bit like Vista, therefore it is crap"

Anyway, XP is out of date, I wish people would stop shagging it! It's like shagging your grandmother tbh

Last edited:
  172//Crap Micra//Bus
OMGz... you actually did it LOL

Take a chill pill ffs. FYI, Windows 7 is excellent, nothing like Vista. And if you do "have an idea" why would you even look at Norton?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Windows 7 is brilliant imo. I've been using it more and more since it was first released.

Not perfect! (feedback has been sent) but it has massive potential. I really think it will be the next XP in terms of popularity.

As said, Norton is severely rubbish, always has been. AVG works with W7 so maybe give that a go instead if you want something free.

People are too quick to judge sometimes ;) "Oh feck I can't use it, it's crap" "Oh it looks a bit like Vista, therefore it is crap"

Anyway, XP is out of date, I wish people would stop shagging it! It's like shagging your grandmother tbh

Roffle! Win95 maybe - XP, hardly! Its still a very good OS.

D.