ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

another... Car not starting,

Following on from my last problem with it not starting this seems to be kind of different.

Other day, wouldn't start, all lights went on when turning ignition on, fuel pump primed just no starter motor, this was just after i'd been running it fine 30 minutes before. Tried again 10minutes later and it started up.

Yesterday, same thing, wouldn't start, all lights out, fuel pump prime ran it down a hill and it bump started fine, a few times after that it started up each time when i needed.

This morning, wouldn't start up, waited, tried a few times and left it to go to work, then tried when i got home, same again still not starting. I'll have a good guess that it would bump start but i have no where near to try it, its all flat and busy roads!

Tested battery, 12.9v or so. Taken out all relays, wd40'd them, gave them a little tap. A couple were recently changed for new ones and swapped over with working ones to try and sort another problem out anyway. Earthed engine by using negative to battery and mounting it in various places, same for gear box and still nothing.

Looked under car, can only just see the starter motor but can't see any wires to check them, its so hard to see it to begin with if you're under or above!

Tried rocking the car in and out of gear. Its obviously not the TDC sensor as it makes no attempt to turn over at all.

I'm stuck now, short to pushing it somewhere for the AA to then come out to have a quick look at it i'm going to have to book it in with Diamond motors and bump start it to get it there. At the same time, i can't really be driving it far as i have noticed the top seal of my drive shaft is broken and oil has been coming out slowly as its splashed about over the top when driving, going to make a thread about that too to see what to do.

any ideas, my poor car is sat on the drive :(

02 Clio
This was happening on my friends clio, i'm no mechanic so wouldn't know, but he said it was copper bushes in the starter motor that had worn down, he said was due to high mileage! could be the same thing as yours? He brought a new starter motor and it was fine. The relay was ticking for the starter motor when turning the key!
Tom

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Could be a UCH fault but it will most likely be a poor connection somewhere on the starter circuit as its bumping.

If you want me to take a look for you then give me a shout and I'll book you in. We've got a 182 coming in tomorrow for diagnosis of a suspected UCH so it seems they're in fashion this month.

Mick
Diamond Motors