ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AndyRg - 20VT French/German Sleeper ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Re: AndyRG - Opps ive done it again!

Vw logics, pistons are supposed to hold 600+ as standard...

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team

Have read it a few times however that might have been on E85. Rs2 pistons get used alot too in big power builds.

More than likely. The valves let go around 400 too. They benefit alot from WMI too. Mine was running a GT2871r eliminator kit, with 364bhp/321lb-ft @28psi it should've done more but the exh housing was restrictive. Internally all I did was rods on it. And if the guy who has bought it, does back out ill be doing the same as this.

Evo 5 RS

lol poor blokes just dusted it off and finished up and you two bring that up now :dapprove:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

lol poor blokes just dusted it off and finished up and you two bring that up now :dapprove:

TBH, I wasnt aware that Andy didnt already know the rods are an issue, I just assumed anyone working with one of these engines would know that.

It really isnt a big deal though, whacking a set of rods in is not even a days work and not expensive either.

Trophy Turbo :)

Been playing.

Not a bad fit

IMG_20121121_155816.jpg

Every one i speak to in the trade who map these says the engine i have has stronger pins and rods, and well capable and reliable at 300hp with matching torque. if it throws a rod then, all i need is a new motor there widly available and then ill forge it :) some thing to do hey :)

Yeah shes dirty hahaha had my lunch in it and its stood for a while, full valet when shes finished :)

The stronger rods and pins are all a myth. They have 19mm or 20mm. That's the only fundamental difference. Rods are the same across the board on the 20mm. It's all a myth that the BAM is the strongest too.

172cup turbo & rx8

Every one i speak to in the trade who map these says the engine i have has stronger pins and rods, and well capable and reliable at 300hp with matching torque. if it throws a rod then, all i need is a new motor there widly available and then ill forge it :) some thing to do hey :)

Yeah shes dirty hahaha had my lunch in it and its stood for a while, full valet when shes finished :)

I'm hoping it holds up well coz i have your next task ready ;)

Excelent work as always mate

I'm hoping it holds up well coz i have your next task ready ;)

Excelent work as always mate

I am confident that all will be fine ! :) the clio 225 engines are only ok to 280bhp mine ran 340 for a year and is still fine!! Luck of the draw.

wahoo lets get building squire

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If you map it to be a bit conservative on the ignition to lead to marginally lower PCP's the rods will survive a lot better.
Ive been running around 300bhp on standard 172 rods, which arent even as manly as the 225 ones.

Also cutting down on massive midrange torque by feeding the boost in more at high rpm is a good way to give them an easier life.

Chip id rather blow a hole on the block than have a girly weak map that has no torque !!! ( awaits Wilkys comments ) hahahaha

But i appreciate all the advice and when it goes POp you all are not allowed to say " We told you" hahahahhaha

:)

p.s i have planned for over xmas to forge any ways may just get a spare motor :)

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member

Followed this and not yet commented, looks superb as I'd have expected after previous projects.
Does the Climate work as before then with this too?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Chip id rather blow a hole on the block than have a girly weak map that has no torque !!! ( awaits Wilkys comments ) hahahaha

But i appreciate all the advice and when it goes POp you all are not allowed to say " We told you" hahahahhaha

:)

p.s i have planned for over xmas to forge any ways may just get a spare motor :)

Depends what you mean by "no torque" TBH mate.

There is a limit to how useful it is to have a massive hump of torque just for 500rpm before the turbo starts to run out of puff which is how these are often mapped, the key thing with torque isnt the peak figure, its having a good spread of it.
If you have 250lbft from 3k-7K it will go like stink, having a 340lbft hump from 3k-3500rpm isnt going to actually improve anything performance wise on track, and in fact is just likely to light the tyres up and then by the time you have got control of the them again you are off the end of the torque hump anyway and it doesnt go very well.

Its getting up the minimum torque that is present in the parts of the rev range you use that is the key, not exaggerating a torque spike. That might feel impressive on the road when you put your foot down, but its not how to be fast on track coming out of a bend in a light fwd car.

Depends what you mean by "no torque" TBH mate.

There is a limit to how useful it is to have a massive hump of torque just for 500rpm before the turbo starts to run out of puff which is how these are often mapped, the key thing with torque isnt the peak figure, its having a good spread of it.
If you have 250lbft from 3k-7K it will go like stink, having a 340lbft hump from 3k-3500rpm isnt going to actually improve anything performance wise on track, and in fact is just likely to light the tyres up and then by the time you have got control of the them again you are off the end of the torque hump anyway and it doesnt go very well.

Its getting up the minimum torque that is present in the parts of the rev range you use that is the key, not exaggerating a torque spike. That might feel impressive on the road when you put your foot down, but its not how to be fast on track coming out of a bend in a light fwd car.

there is a " comapny" on here whos maps are so boring its unreal and all the torque gets mapped out of them to help the gearbox i assume, and its boring and slow! haha i think they have a new lad now so may be different im talking 3 years back

My mapper who i use is very very good and knows how to set these things up, using a boost controller that adjusts each boost target at different rpm and gear does help with a FWD car :) but i like RAW animalness. i do admit and have been there that too much power on track is a waste of time and does make you slower , thats why we have various maps for things like this, id never dream of using a 340bhp clio on the track with out a diff it would be a waste of time, i'm not a person who chases figures tho just how it drives :)

Your input as always Chip lad is grateful and i information took on board! :) its people like you who help members on here make the CLUB a club :).....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Yeah, decent boost control is definitely the key, on the autronic I am using on my honda turbo project I can set up a map of rpm vs tps = boost

Makes for a very drivable car at the end, as if you come out of a bend at half throttle you only get minimal boost, you dont end up still hitting peak boost like on more basic setups, I think thats the main reason people say turbo cars dont handle, cause they have driven ones where the throttle just doenst give the drive enough say in how much torque they get once the turbo starts to spool. C20LET corsas on chipped standard management for example are terrible!

And agree on the diff too, really does help massively on the way out of bends, good thing is you can get one cheaply for your box compared to a clio box!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

every things cheap for the VW compaired to French stuff!!! :) Wahoo the German s:)

Clios are epic little cars, can see why you keep coming back to them, but yeah VW/Honda/Vauxhall power makes SO much more sense when it comes to getting decent power.

Have you still got all the details of the shafts you had made by the way? I think Danpl6 will probably appreciate it if you can get him some too as yours seem to work so well and were such good value.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Should be easy enough to adjust for that based on the difference in length of the shafts used on the VW though Dan?

In theory, however as mines an LCR it runs different lengths to the rest of the group. As they run different hubs with better roll centres.

very long day,back from mapping and then toa dyno for tweeks and rroad output

very impressed at 343bhp and 311lb :) at 1.4 bat on a vf35 ihi :D its bloody stupid. ive ordered a diff while at the rolling road along sode some uprated internals@)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds fantastic, and with the new internals should be mega reliable at that level too.

Should be very good fun on track next year :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I had a ride out in this when it was .4 bar lol, bloody impressive figures mate, I hope you bring it with you when you pick these xenons up next week. Infact I may even come up to your place for a ride out in it and bring the xenons with me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.