ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternatives to PS3

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Yeah maybe,dont tyres also have a date stamped on them?.
Yeah they do . But you're not gonna know the date they were manufactured until you had them delivered . That goes for any tyre , any online retailer or tyre place. It's not something that ever crosses my mind .Bit of a strange statement from @Touring_Rob

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I know what @Touring_Rob is saying as the GSD3 is an very old design & like @flebay has put about the new designs to replace the old Eagle F1 GSD3
Ahhhhh I get it now . The Avon ZV7 is the current Avon tyre on offer so it's not an older tyre that could have been lying on a shelf somewhere, i think , lol .

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ahhhhh I get it now . The Avon ZV7 is the current Avon tyre on offer so it's not an older tyre that could have been lying on a shelf somewhere, i think , lol .

As @MrBlonde says, the GSD3 must have been out of production for quite a while now so any stock is likely to be getting on a bit.

It is worth keeping an eye on the dates on tyres, chap at work bought some Eagle F1 A1's recently from an online tyre place (forget which one, not black circles or camskills) and they were 6 years old. Not a massive issue but it would have annoyed me.

I think quite a few OEM's buy their chosen tyres in bulk and when they move onto a new model they auction off their stock.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Worth noting that tyres absolutely have a shelf life.

When I first bought my blade I rode to the IOMTT with a bunch of mates. Got there and the bike was riding seriously badly turned out that the front tyre was original and was 8yrs old and had worn terribly on the ride up. I also find that older tyres are much more prone to sidewall cracks etc which always puts me well off them.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Never found camskill to be the chespest tbh.

I think they are for certain tyres, they were very cheap for R888's and R1R's a few years back however I think their price is dependent upon how much stock they buy. They may not buy enough of a certain brand to compete with black circles etc.

I normally find that Kwik fit (weirdly) are quite competitive for goodyear, costco are reasonable for Michellin. However I usually just default to black circles and get a mate to fit them at work.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Never found camskill to be the chespest tbh.
The last few times I've bought tyres its been alot cheaper than elsewhere. 2 Avon ZV7's delivered £125.60 . Even that small local tyre place I use has said to buy the Rainsports from Camskill and they'll fit them for £10 a corner. 2 Avons fitted at f1autocentres is £168.91

Last edited:
  BMW 320d SE
The last few times I've bought tyres its been alot cheaper than elsewhere. 2 Avon ZV7's delivered £125.60 . Even that small local tyre place I use has said to buy the Rainsports from Camskill and they'll fit them for £10 a corner. 2 Avons fitted at f1autocentres is £168.91

£168 is for the 87W
It’s £135 for the 83W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PH2 172
Why do you say that ? I would imagine Camskill have a high turnever of tyres as they're alot cheaper than anywhere else.

I fully intended to butt out of this thread, but @MrBlonde they are available in 195/48r16

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s94...Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_70dB

2 day delivery from Camskill indicates that they are not an on the shelf item, but will arrive fresh from Avon overnight ( to Camskill ) if ordered before 3.00pm

( by Camskill ), to be forwarded to the buyer on a next day delivery. ( from Camskill )

With regard to tyre noise, I initially found myself travelling faster if I was only judging my speed on aural input compared to RS3`s

Rim protection is excellent.

I`m using 195/50r 15`s which @ £34 a corner is great value. and you pick up some 6J 15"dynamics alloys for peanuts, which will be OK for 195`s

@MRBILLYUK ZV7`s are fine if you have no intention of exploring the envelope, but there are better tyres for when pushing on., their wear rate is a huge plus though.

I`m not championing ZV7`s, just lets say I can live with them, and there are far worse out there or more £`s

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
From my experience PS3s are noticeably better on the road. Anything else is just a cost choice. Rank of my personal preference.

PS3 (XL) - Best all round tyre. Stiffer sidewalls. Good wet and dry grip.

AD08r - obviously better performance e.g. for track but not really noticeable on road Vs PS3. They don't like heavy standing water or pulling off fast from dusty country roads.

Hankook Evo 2s - not as good as PS3, particular difference in wet grip. Other than that pretty solid tbh.

Goodyear Eagle F1s - these are decent, I'd say comparable to the Hankooks, but I can feel (and see) the sidewalls being rolled onto on the road after a spirited run.

I have found that https://www.f1autocentres.co.uk have been really competitive for pricing. I’ve had the Goodyears and some Michelin CrossClimates from them, cheaper than anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I found this too when I was looking around - my main beef with F1 is that once they have your car up on a ramp, they start sucking their teeth and going on about how you need this and that replaced immediately and they can do it for you now for XXX price :rolleyes: (in my experience).

I found this too when I was looking around - my main beef with F1 is that once they have your car up on a ramp, they start sucking their teeth and going on about how you need this and that replaced immediately and they can do it for you now for XXX price :rolleyes: (in my experience).
Then you reply with, "my answer to that question begins with f and ends with f"

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
From ATS? That`s a lot less than their advertised price.

Yes mate,there doing £50 off any Michelin tyres if you buy 2 or more,then if you book to have them fitted on the weekend in the afternoon they give you a further 10% off.Cheaper than buying them on there own all in

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_20181110-175828_Chrome.jpg

PH2 172
Yes mate,there doing £50 off any Michelin tyres if you buy 2 or more,then if you book to have them fitted on the weekend in the afternoon they give you a further 10% off.Cheaper than buying them on there own all in

Surely it would have been cheaper to have 2 fitted on Saturday, and then another 2 on Sunday?

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe,but im happy with this deal.Saves going there twice and waiting about an hour or so for them just to fit them,never understand why they take so long sometimes.