ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternatives to PS3

Clio
Hi guys,

I will probably be changing my tyres in the next few months as they are nearing replacement. The Michelin PS3 have been very good but as they are now becoming an older tyre design and that the PS4 is not available in the Clio 182 size, are there any newer / better tyres on the market would you say?

The car is a daily driver so the PS3 have been fantastic all rounder so far.

Thanks!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Can't say I have experience of the PS3, but AD08R's are great. I believe these are being discontinued too though

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ha, honestly the internet is such a confusing place. I've bought some wheels with Ps3 on (6mm+) and I'm yet to try them.
Ask on any of the FB pages and they slate Ps3 - rave about 2 and 4. I have Ps4 on my Fn2 and they're quality.

Last edited:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Ha, honestly the internet is such a confusing place. I've bought some wheels with Ps3 on (6mm+) and am yet to try them.
Ask on any of the FB pages and they slate Ps3 - rave about 2 and 4.

I notice this too. Go over to RSMegane.com and the PS3 is considered to be dogshite. There are so many mixed messages out there about tyres. One person's trash is another man's treasure. When I was at the 'ring last year, some guys came over to talk to us and one of them noticed that a car in our group had T1-Rs. His instant reaction was,"You're not going out on those are you? You'll definitely crash, they're s**t." Strangely enough though, he didn't crash at all. I remember reading about Toyos in mags a few years ago and they tugged themselves silly over them, now people slate them relentlessly. Once a few people have said something is bad on the internet, it instantly becomes the worst thing in the world. And vice versa for good things.

My 172 had Premium Contact something-or-others on it when I bought it and they seemed to work well in all weathers. Did a couple of track days on them and they were fine, particularly in the wet. In reality, if it's a road car, you'll rarely get anywhere near the limits of a good quality tyre, so anything from the likes of Michelin, Continental etc should be more than up to the job. The only thing I really tend to look for is a high wet grip rating. The weather is often crap in this country, so it seems a sensible thing to go for to me.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I honestly don't get the massive hate for t1-R! had them on my E36 and were quite good. soft and flexible yes but they gripped well enough and weren't expensive, absolutely fine for UK roads.
DA INTERNETZ

RB Clio 182
The ps3’s ime are no better than other tyres ive tried, i havnt had a warm dry day yet to test them in better conditions, but im not overly impressed with them in these cold damp conditions, admittedly when im testing tyres i go full hero, so even if im superglue’d to the road i would still slide, they definitely dont flex as much and they feel firm, but on a damp cold road that makes them slide more than say rs3’s, tlr’s, again just my opinion.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The ps3’s ime are no better other tyres ive tried, i havnt had a warm dry day yet to test them in better conditions, but im not overly impressed with them, admittedly when im testing tyres i go full hero, so even if im superglue’d to the road i would still slide, they definitely dont flex as much and they feel firm, but on a damp cold road that makes them slide more than say rs3’s, tlr’s, again just my opinion.
My brother doesn't rate his Ps3 on his clio 200. But he's tried them out at least so his review has substance.

It is bloody hot out there in Oman though and theres sod all rain. He did a track day on Dubai autodrome and Yas island and isnt dead so must be ok.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’ve had no problems with PZero Nero’s on my 182. They grip well in all weather and seem to wear pretty well too.

Someone else will come along and say they’re no good, but for everyday driving I think they’re spot on.

182 FF, 306 Rallye
I went from PS3’s to Goodyear Eagle ASM 2’s and they have been great. Highly recommended and a fair bit cheaper than PS3’s

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Im looking into getting a decent set next year.At the moment im running the Yokohama S-Drives which are ok for the money they are,but pretty crap in the wet/damp.Im considering buying the new version of these tho the V701 Advan that get good reviews.
The other ones i have been looking at are the Yoko AD08R's & the PS3 which are about the same price,the V701's are half of them.I dont use the car on the track,just a spirited drive now and then.

The review of the V701
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/Advan-Fleva-V701.htm

I have ps3's on the Vee, they sure make a lot of road noise! To the point I've had to get out and check they're ok ?

Falken do some really good tyres at very competitive prices. I've used these below on road and track and highly rate them. As mentioned though tyres can be so subjective. As below these only get 7th in the test with Continental sport 5s coming in top, yet I'm running the CS5's at the minute and hate them.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/r...70&partner=1&ID=psm_rd_uk_billiger&Country=UK

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZIEX-ZE914-EcoRun.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Auto-Express-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I’ve got T1-R’s on my 182 (came on the car) and I find them fine in the dry, when pushing on. Low speed tyre squeal is annoying in car parks, and wet grip isn’t exactly brilliant, yet perfectly usable with a steady right foot.

Got some other wheels with new PS3’s on, I’m interested to feel,the difference.

I’ve had some Verdestein’s on an old daily 206 and they seemed decent enough, and reasonably priced too.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Thats the thing,each person has a different opinion to tyres & test reviews cant tell either as different size tyre,wheel and car to the clio.

The best tyres ive ever had was on the 205,The Goodyear Eagle F1's!.Great tyre!

Still tempted to get the New version of what i have on now,as i put earlier on here the Yoko V701 Advan,half the price of the other tyres & still a named brand with good wet rating.

Just over £200 for a set compared to the others at around 400ish.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
My car had PS3's on when I bought it and I was impressed with them. I replaced them with s drives and wished I'd stuck with the Michelin. I was just thinking last week how s**t front end grip was on the damp roundabouts now the s drives are down to 3mm of tread. I've just swapped the fronts for PS3's after getting a puncture. Hopefully they will be better once scrubbed in.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mate the s-drives are crap even just in the damp,s**t myself sometimes if its pissing it down on the motorway!.not that much better in the dry to be honest,thats why im thinking of changing ready for the winter,did you look at the new version of the s-drive i put a link up on?.. @OssPoop

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think the OP answered his own question " The car is a daily driver so the PS3 have been fantastic all rounder so far. " He's found a tyre that he's more than happy with so why not stick with that tyre. Does it matter if the tyre is an old design if it does what it says on the tin. If they still made Exalto PE2's I'd have them in a heartbeat and they are a really old tyre design now , but I thought they were the best all round tyre , wet and dry.
Personally I like Rainsport 3's , good in the dry and excellent in the wet, they stick like s**t to a blanket when pushing on even in the rain , and living in the North West where it pisses down half of the year I want a good wet tyre. The wear rate isn't the best but that doesn't bother me.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mate the s-drives are crap even just in the damp,s**t myself sometimes if its pissing it down on the motorway!.not that much better in the dry to be honest,thats why im thinking of changing ready for the winter,did you look at the new version of the s-drive i put a link up on?.. @OssPoop
I didn't look at anything else, I knew I'd be going back to PS3's when I needed tyres again. As @MRBILLYUK pointed out from the first post, they are a great road tyre and I was more than happy with them so why gamble trying something else?

172 Ph1 x 2 - OB&FR
Not sure if you have them in the UK but just fitted a set of Kumho KU39 to my basically standard 182. By no means an ADO8R in terms of grip, I’m pretty happy with them on both road and track.

Rainsport 3's are excellent value for money and I found them better than most the other premium brands I tried. Michelin PS3 are arguably better still but aren't worth the premium.

Unless you're going on track there's no point fitting anything other than Rainsports.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
My mrs had ZV7's on the front of her polo (220 lb/ft) and they were decent in the dry but pretty dangerous in the wet and they have horrendous road noise. I swapped them out for rainsport 3's recently and they were much better for the same sort of price.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Stick to the PS3's. Yes they are not as good as ps4 but the best road tyre available in the correct size of 16". Not really suited to track use but the XL sidewall are decent.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Personally I like Rainsport 3's , good in the dry and excellent in the wet, they stick like s**t to a blanket when pushing on even in the rain , and living in the North West where it pisses down half of the year I want a good wet tyre. The wear rate isn't the best but that doesn't bother me.

Rainsport 3's are excellent value for money and I found them better than most the other premium brands I tried. Michelin PS3 are arguably better still but aren't worth the premium.

Unless you're going on track there's no point fitting anything other than Rainsports.

I loved my Rainsports, wet grip was awesome and definitely saved my bacon when I needed to do an emergency stop on the M1 during a downpour.

They are pretty soft and at normal pressure they look slightly deflated, but they were surprisingly good in the snow as well, perhaps because they were so soft??

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I loved my Rainsports, wet grip was awesome and definitely saved my bacon when I needed to do an emergency stop on the M1 during a downpour.

They are pretty soft and at normal pressure they look slightly deflated, but they were surprisingly good in the snow as well, perhaps because they were so soft??
I always buy the XL version with the stiffer sidewalls and run them with 35 psi front and 32 psi rear. They are very soft , so the wear rate isn't the best. I guess that's the compromise between getting good mileage or good wet weather grip . I prefer the latter . I find them pretty decent in the snow too .

Yeah they are very confidence inspiring in the wet, amazing in fact considering the price. They're fine in the dry too, as long as you don't drive like a loony on public roads. They'll quickly overheat on track but it's not what I use my car for.

I also found them good in the snow, and just carry snow socks in the boot when the weather gets worse.

As I drive on twisty and greasy B roads but with some dual carriageways thrown in I give them a good test and they never disappoint.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I could go back to The Rainsports,they are great in the Wet but didnt think that great in the dry.Maybe as i didnt have them in XL so softer sidewall.amazing value for money tho.

I could go back to The Rainsports,they are great in the Wet but didnt think that great in the dry.Maybe as i didnt have them in XL so softer sidewall.amazing value for money tho.

XL is a must mate. Also make sure your tyre pressures aren't low either. I find them very decent in the dry and you can press on hard if you want to.

Not in 1*2 sizes yet as they are relatively new but currently running the high performing Falken FK510 on my remapped Mondeo ST TDCI and they are great even putting 420nm through the front wheels, a much better all-rounder than the likes of the RS3 and not far behind in the wet either. I'll be replacing the god awful Conti sport 5's that are on my VRS with them when the time comes. At near 40% cheaper than PS4's and slightly cheaper than the RS3's in 225/40/18 they are a great buy.

They came joint 2nd in a recent test against some of the big boys below....

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-AMS-Summer-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm

3rd here in a world summer test as well...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Test-World-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

As mentioned above Falken are banging out some cracking tyres at the minute but seem to get overlooked. If you run 17" plus tyres the FK510 are defo worth a look...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/Azenis-FK510.htm

Yeah i had play about with pressures,seem to be better the higher rather than other tyres are the opps.bit weird tho,but im not keen on how the sit look on the cup turini's tho. @Cup172rich

They do have a slight amount of 'stretch' strangely but i don't find it very noticeable. This was how they looked on my cup with anthacite Turinis:

IMG_6406.JPG