ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternatives to PS3

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
So crap not having many good choices for 195/45/16 & in 205.
16" wheels are dieing off. Only boggo spec cars have 16's on now and comedy balloon tyres! I'd hate to have to buy 20" tyres for a Scenic. I bet there have been plenty of irate customers having seen the price of them?.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Not in 1*2 sizes yet as they are relatively new but currently running the high performing Falken FK510 on my remapped Mondeo ST TDCI and they are great even putting 420nm through the front wheels, a much better all-rounder than the likes of the RS3 and not far behind in the wet either. I'll be replacing the god awful Conti sport 5's that are on my VRS with them when the time comes. At near 40% cheaper than PS4's and slightly cheaper than the RS3's in 225/40/18 they are a great buy.

They came joint 2nd in a recent test against some of the big boys below....

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-AMS-Summer-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm

3rd here in a world summer test as well...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Test-World-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

As mentioned above Falken are banging out some cracking tyres at the minute but seem to get overlooked. If you run 17" plus tyres the FK510 are defo worth a look...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/Azenis-FK510.htm

Look at these little rippers though, Nokian Line, Nokian Hakka Black 2. I've never heard of them before.

The Hakka Black 2 came second in the world test.
The line 6th place in the summer test, but in the wet and dry braking tests was only a meter more than 1st place PS4

Look at these little rippers though, Nokian Line, Nokian Hakka Black 2. I've never heard of them before.

The Hakka Black 2 came second in the world test.
The line 6th place in the summer test, but in the wet and dry braking tests was only a meter more than 1st place PS4
Good tyres Nokian, think they started out as a more winter orientated tyre. Hakka is pricey though compared to the Falken and they don't seem to do the line in 18s.

They do the line in 16s though @MrBlonde check out the reviews @R3k1355 posted above for £65 they also look a right bargain.

http://www.123tyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/r...rtner=1&ID=psm_rdd_uk_tyrereviews&Country=DUK

PH2 172

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I`m not sure what you getting so moist about.

The Blacks don`t come in 15" or 16", and the Line is C wet rated.

2018 Auto Bild 15 inch Summer Tyre Test - 19th of 20 tyres is what I read.

Different test, different result. They do alrite in other tests and are pretty cheap.
They're B rated in the wet, but even the tyre companies say to take the EU label with a pinch of salt.

The blacks probably aren't in many sizes yet as it was only released recently, not even listed on their website.

Last edited:
  PH2 172
Different test, different result. They do alrite in other tests and are pretty cheap.
They're B rated in the wet, but even the tyre companies say to take the EU label with a pinch of salt.

The blacks probably aren't in many sizes yet as it was only released recently, not even listed on their website.

I take tyre tests with a pinch of salt too.

Too many inducements changing hands.

One things for sure, the tyres are tested on cars a lot heavier than 172/182`s.

Strangely the H rated 15" Line is C wet, and the V is B.

I`d be open to a stab at the Dunlop SP Sports, at least they have decent rim protection.

The Avon zv7 could have been a very good tyre if they had chosen a softer compound than the one they have, which looks likely to complete 2 laps of the world

before it`s done, on a 172 that usually despatches Rainsports as a front fitment in less than 5k miles.

Think they have worn 1mm in 7K miles, maybe.

Not sure if I would buy again, as I may never need too, though I may change back to ps3`s or Rs3`s for the hell of it.

PS4`s with 17" rims is still on the table though.

Done with this thread.

WISH YOU WERE HERE.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

From what I understand the EU labels are self-cert.
Spec is set by the EU, but no independent 3rd party is checking the tyres from what I understand.

I'm sure the big players wouldn't mess around, but all the no-name Asian imports? I'm not so sure.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Next tyre on mine will be eagle F1. I currently have them on an M3 also and have been quite impressed. Nothing close to PS4s (which replaced the MPSS) but they aren't available in Clio friendly sizes (which is a real shame) and are close to twice the money.

Tempted to try a set of AD08r's however suspect they aren't well suited to rain and cold?

Next tyre on mine will be eagle F1. I currently have them on an M3 also and have been quite impressed. Nothing close to PS4s (which replaced the MPSS) but they aren't available in Clio friendly sizes (which is a real shame) and are close to twice the money.

Tempted to try a set of AD08r's however suspect they aren't well suited to rain and cold?
Wouldn't advise AD08r's on a M3 or Clio in winter. They're not to bad once warm, but it's getting them warm. The new F1 is decent if not a bit soft, but really good in the wet.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't advise AD08r's on a M3 in winter no. They're not to bad once warm, but it's getting them warm. The new F1 is decent if not a bit soft, but really good in the wet.

No sorry, poorly written by me.

M3 currently has F1's on the back and continental sports on the front - last set of tyres was MPSS all round which were just superb in every respect. The M3 will get these again as PS4s (the new MPSS) are not available in 18's.

The Clio (182) will probably end up with Eagle F1's but I am temped to give the AD08R's a go however think they will be poorly suited to the winter.

No sorry, poorly written by me.

M3 currently has F1's on the back and continental sports on the front - last set of tyres was MPSS all round which were just superb in every respect. The M3 will get these again as PS4s (the new MPSS) are not available in 18's.

The Clio (182) will probably end up with Eagle F1's but I am temped to give the AD08R's a go however think they will be poorly suited to the winter.
If the Clio is just a bit of fun not a daily then yeah the Yokos will do a job as you won't be out in daft conditions. They're good on track in damp/cold conditions as well which I was surprised by. £240 fitted (195/50/15) from Kwik fit last time I had a set.

BMW 320d SE
I’m running Goodyear Eagle AS2s, but only on the back of the Clio, so can’t say how good they are when pushed. They seem to stick the rear end to the road well enough.
They’ll go on the fronts when my old Vredesteins wear out, and I’ll run the Goodyears all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW 320d SE
Vredesteins no good then? @Karlos182

They’re an old pair of Sportrac 3s I found on eBay a couple of years ago. I ran them on my Focus and they were great. The Clio is a lot lighter and consequently, they’re more prone to understeer in the wet, but that said, they’re good, trustable tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Too many inducements changing hands.

One things for sure, the tyres are tested on cars a lot heavier than 172/182`s.

I`d be open to a stab at the Dunlop SP Sports, at least they have decent rim protection.

The Avon zv7 could have been a very good tyre if they had chosen a softer compound than the one they have, which looks likely to complete 2 laps of the world

before it`s done, on a 172 that usually despatches Rainsports as a front fitment in less than 5k miles.

Think they have worn 1mm in 7K miles, maybe.

Not sure if I would buy again, as I may never need too, though I may change back to ps3`s or Rs3`s for the hell of it.

PS4`s with 17" rims is still on the table though.

Done with this thread.

View attachment 1393663
I've just been totting up how many sets of Rainsport 3's I've gone through in the last 25k miles , 5 sets ?. I don't do lots of miles , but the miles I do I like to push on a bit. That's why I've always gone for the RS3's , cos it pisses down alot here in the Northwest. I'm seriously considering going for the Avon ZV7's next . @STEVE.M @imprezaworks . Are the Avons a massive downgrade when it comes to driving in the wet? I've read good things about them and the longevity appeals to me.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Its really subjective I know but I really didn't rate the rainsports, straight line wet grip was great but didn't like their lateral performance at all, very unprogressive. Ended up spinning a car on a motorway entry in the wet doing very similar speeds etc to normal, difference was rainsports vs Pirelli P Zero's which were standard fit on that car, they let go so violently.

Plus 5 sets in 25k is alot! I get 8k out of rears on the M3 (F1's), thats a lot heavier and gets lots of abuse.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Its really subjective I know but I really didn't rate the rainsports, straight line wet grip was great but didn't like their lateral performance at all, very unprogressive. Ended up spinning a car on a motorway entry in the wet doing very similar speeds etc to normal, difference was rainsports vs Pirelli P Zero's which were standard fit on that car, they let go so violently.

Plus 5 sets in 25k is alot! I get 8k out of rears on the M3 (F1's), thats a lot heavier and gets lots of abuse.
Tell me about it lol . The fronts are die for a change very soon . They're pushing 7000 miles , mainly because I ran them for the first 1000 miles or so on the rear before moving them to the front. I never had a problem with them entering a motorway in the wet on a sweeping bend , they never felt like they'd let go. I've seen STEVEM and imprezzaworks sing the praises of the Avons and how long they last so was thinking about a change.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I think i prefer the 195 size as have cup turinis.But for me its all about how the tyre sits on the alloy along with the obvs grip in dry & wet.