ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloys need cutting

Got some Rota's that catch the calipers, cant add spacers to the front its way too wide.

I need somebody to cut them down inside but i have no idea who to turn to. Anybody point me in a direction please?

IMG_0557_zps5e8dafa9.jpg

Clio 1.2 extreme
Take them to a machine shop, providing there is enough meat where the bolts go you should be able to machine some material away

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Pics of where the calliper fouls?

I seriously wouldn't recommend machining/turning the wheel. It looks like a b*****d to hold on a machine bed and i imagine it'll vibrate like f**k which in turn will add more time and more money onto the machining. You'd need a big chuck to hold it in a lathe, and it imagine that would cost a bit to take time off a job to turn that.

It'd probably then need re spraying after the paint has worn away from holding it on the machine/lathe aand last but not least. Suspension, wheels and tyres are things you should not f**k about with. You don't know what the tolerances on the wheel are for maintaining its structural integrity when moving. If you make it thinner I imagine it'll make it a fair bit weaker which will make your car a lot closer to the ground when that face breaks.

just my two penneth

Last edited:
Hi mate, I've just had a look through your project thread with regards to the Rota's.

These wheels are a real pain to fit!

The lad I bought my Rota Grid Drift's from had already had them lathed. I couldn't tell you how much by or anything though :/

Luckily my front wheels fitted fine without using spacers or anything. It was the rear ones I had a problem with.

I had to take a few mm's off the brake calliper though using an angle grinder. I just kept taking a tiny slither off until the wheels didn't rub anymore. Now I have about a 3mm gap between the calliper and wheel. I'm also using 5mm spacers on the rear as I didn't fancy grinding a lot off it!

To to bring the rear wheels in a bit more, you can also swap your stub axles to the ones from a 172 like I did. They are about 5 or 6mm difference so it's worth doing :)

If you need any help I can post some photos up here if you like.

Dan

Hi mate, I've just had a look through your project thread with regards to the Rota's.

These wheels are a real pain to fit!

The lad I bought my Rota Grid Drift's from had already had them lathed. I couldn't tell you how much by or anything though :/

Luckily my front wheels fitted fine without using spacers or anything. It was the rear ones I had a problem with.

I had to take a few mm's off the brake calliper though using an angle grinder. I just kept taking a tiny slither off until the wheels didn't rub anymore. Now I have about a 3mm gap between the calliper and wheel. I'm also using 5mm spacers on the rear as I didn't fancy grinding a lot off it!

To to bring the rear wheels in a bit more, you can also swap your stub axles to the ones from a 172 like I did. They are about 5 or 6mm difference so it's worth doing :)

If you need any help I can post some photos up here if you like.

Dan

Thanks mate nice info. However I'm not worried about the rear it's what to do with the front.
I've gone off the idea of cutting the calipers due to safety reasons. And cutting the alloy is still risky imo... And somebody said it's not an easy task ^
And big brakes are gonna destroy my bank account.

Thanks mate nice info. However I'm not worried about the rear it's what to do with the front.
I've gone off the idea of cutting the calipers due to safety reasons. And cutting the alloy is still risky imo... And somebody said it's not an easy task ^

You will get pulled and possibly points for the rears being like that.

No worries matey. If you got the wheels lathed professionally then it'd be fine. It's not something I'd want to be doing myself as they've got to be perfect!

I've got to agree with Tom though, you will get in trouble if you leave them sticking out that far :/