ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice wanted - 172 time or stick with the 1.2?

@rt

Veccy 1.9 cdti
Riiight, well, first the basics:

Im 19, passed my test last november, currently have a 1.2 16v 172 rep. I get my first years no claims in Febuary (due to driving an ibiza for 3 months after passing). Currently paying £1500 TPFT with all mods insured on the 1.2.

I absolutly love the car, I'm early for absolutly everything because I literally can't wait to get in and drive :eek:, the only thing I dont like about it is the lack of power (dont get me wrong it's not mega slow, and is great when you've just passed, but I feel like it's time to progress), so I really want a 172. The thing that was concerning me was the insurance, well I did a quote search, and in febuary I can get TPFT for around £1200 on a 172 or 182 (lucky with postcode + job catagory, and I have pass plus), if I stick with the 1.2 it will go down to around £700-£800. Between now and febuary I'll be able to save up around £1700.

So the question is, should I stick with the 1.2 for another year, save up some more money, then get a nice low milage 182. orrrrr should I just go for it, sell the rep and get the real thing?

Other option of course is buying a dog of a write off as a doner car and dropping the 172 lump in the rep, but that wouldn't really be ideal.

another thing is, if I do decied to sell up in Feb, should I return the car to standard, or leave it how it is? (I payed £3300 for the car last Feb, and have spent around 1.3k on it since, so I'd like to see around £3500-£3600 for it, it is pretty immaculate, under 50k, FSH, well cared for).

Some CS'ers words of wisdom would be much appreciated. :eek:

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
imo i would not get a 182 on tpft i would carry on saving tbh

@rt

Veccy 1.9 cdti
imo i would not get a 182 on tpft i would carry on saving tbh

Yeah I wouldn't get the 182 tpft, I would probably get the 172 on tpft though, especially if it's an earlier one. thanks for the input!

ibiza cupra
^ yeah if you tw@t it then you will have lost it all and will be back to square one where as at the mo you have a proper nice rep (i know, ive seen it lol.)
check how much fully comp is and if you can afford that then go for it.
as for selling the rep, i would leave it as it is if it means sorceing new parts to get it back to standard. you might get more interest too. but if you dont then you could allways put it back to standard then sell the bits on that you didnt want on your new 1*2

Black 197
why TPFT on a 172 but FC on a 182 ?? IMO FC all the way mate

imo TFPT aint worth the paper its written on

320d
I'm going for a 172. However my 1.2 was a shitter and I wanted rid. If it was mint and had a few nice mods maybe I would have waited.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As much as I love my old 172 and 182 i could never recommend anyone to buy one.

BG 182 FF
wait till your 20 and got 2 years no claims and get a quote then m8, imo spending ridiculous amount on insurance is pointless, even more so when you have put a lot of money in your 1.2 to make it a rep. I would leave it another year and just save save save in the meantime :)

Dynamique Flamer
Wait at least a year for cheaper ins and go fully comp on a 182 imo.

Although I have to wait until I pay off my loan for my 1.2 and then can afford ins on a 182, whereas if I had the money to I would go fully comp on a 182 now!

RB 182
Why not keep the car and drop a bigger engine into it? ;) Will be cheaper on the insurance than getting a full blown 172/182...

Milano Premier CTR
Keep it for another year, I waited till i was 21 for a high' ish power car, you will appreciate it more. I found that i matured alot over the 4 years i was driving my 1.2, and still had loads of fun in my 1.2. Oh and get a ctr instead ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i bought my 172 15 18, insured it 3rd party F&T with 0ncb for £2500. then a year later insured it at 19 with 1yrs ncb for £1500 fully comp!

now 3 years later when i pay £600 fully comp on the car would i wait that extra year if i could go back, WOULD I f**k it was worth every penny!!

you only live once, you work to earn money, might as well spend it!