ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adam's 172 Turbo Build

Just went for my first proper drive since fitting the diff last night, all I can say is wow!! Makes so much difference on the road, can't wait to try it out on the track.

I'll have another update later hopefully :grin:

Hi buddy! It's one I adapted from a cheap eBay jobbie, think it ended up costing around £50.

Sooo .. I was going to fit a TTV flywheel with my gearbox as I planned to get a SM inlet and cat cams, this has now changed as I couldn't justify the cost for such a small gain. 3 of our 5 clios have turbos so this was the obvious route to go down.

On Wednesday evening I ordered the first part which turned up today. I'm only going low boost so this thing won't even break a sweat.
IMG_3637.jpg

These turned up today to.
IMG_8088.jpg

Removed a few wires that I'm not using

IMG_8087.jpg

I tidied up wiring loom today, mounted the switch for EPAS adjustment on the steering coloum along with the traction control switch. The wires on the fooor are the airbag system, not sure if I'm removing these or not.

IMG_8099.jpg

IMG_8095.jpg

Gave it a quick clean

IMG_8107.jpg

IMG_8104.jpg

Next up is turbo manifold and intercooler.

After selling my old one to fund new coilovers I managed to get another PMS strut brace.

IMG_8109.jpg

IMG_8111.jpg

Wooooshh valve turned up
IMG_8117.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Car has taken a big turn from when i last looked om here.

Great stuff. Loving the roof and the decals. Bit of free advertisement too ;) Also the rear spoiler and light looks great :up:

And of course, boost!

Cheers buddy, things will slow down a lot now as baby do in next few weeks. I'll do bits as and when time and money allow :smile:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You do realise thats a harness guide bar and not something to attach them to?

img_7448-jpg.jpg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You do realise thats a harness guide bar and not something to attach them to?

img_7448-jpg.jpg

This! That will do the grand scheme of naff all in a crash.

The belts are meant to go over that bar and then down to eyebolt mounts in the floor. It's used to get the belts to an acceptable angle as too much downward angle will crush your spine.

Really? Nearly all the pics on google have the harnesses attached to the bar? I can mount them behind that's no problem but none of the marshalls have ever said nothing at a track day? I'll look into it as don't fancy dying :laughing:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair the marshalls aren't scrutineers, so most of them won't know what they are looking at.

You can see the two downward supports on that bar, they are there to support the downward load which would occur when you run the harnesses over them and down to the rear seat base points.

I see what your saying James, just googled it and the first 2 things that come up show how to fit harnesses to a harness bar like mine?

http://www.doubledgarage.com/?p=2925

It is a proper harness bar made from CDS by a company that makes cages? Looks and feels extremely solid to me. I can soon put them on the eye bolts if need tho.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I see what your saying James, just googled it and the first 2 things that come up show how to fit harnesses to a harness bar like mine?

http://www.doubledgarage.com/?p=2925

It is a proper harness bar made from CDS by a company that makes cages? Looks and feels extremely solid to me. I can soon put them on the eye bolts if need tho.
That article makes no sense, goes on about the danger angle, ignores there’s a support bar there to make the angle safe, then ties the harness to the support bar, which is unsafe.

Those bars are designed to resist the downward pull of the harness straps and not a horizontal pull.

There was a big crash as a US track day where a Takata harness support bar was used as the mounting point and in the incident it folded round on itself.

In the MSA handbook for tintops you can only mount to one of these bars if it forms part of your cage and is correctly braced.

Made some titatanium pad shims, will test them out on next track day. They have already reduced brake squeal massively.

IMG_8157.jpg

IMG_8160.jpg

Had to remove the 'High Temperature' paint after it got hot, bubbled up and went black :rage:

Removed my hydraulic power steering today, used the PMS pulley kit. Changed gearbox oil and bled brakes again ready for track day in few hours.

IMG_8170.jpg

Track day was great, titanium shims worked brilliantly with no fade at all. Diff was incredible. My alternator packed up half way through the day but we were able to swap it with my mates 172 who unfortunately destroyed his engine in the morning.

Got a few videos, not the fastest Clio there but was steadily improving with experience.

We’ve all chipped in and bought some corner weighting scales, will sort this out over the winter with a different alignment setup.

Tested out our corner weighting scales today, Car weighs in at 897kg and 965.8kg with me in it. Cross weights very close to 50%

D5700_C29-80_F1-4776-93_D8-_C582_A02462_C2.png

Ordered a 182 flat boot floor today, got my water and oil lines for turbo sorted, one side of my intercooler pipework sorted and my fuel return lines to. Slowly getting there :smile:

More parts turned up today, low mileage 225 pistons and rods. I know the rods are the same as mine so will prob use these with ARP bolts.

7_D266436-_DEBA-4_ED3-8_F9_F-72_E7_C16_E7936.jpg

I’ve lost the plot with this a little 🙈 I’ll now be going mid boost using a fuel injection controller and a boost controller, probably switchable between 230 and 270hp which should move it along nicely :kissingsmiling:

Just bought this, should be here in next few days.

E71_E515_A-7134-4_FA2-9428-_E72_BB7_B37_D03.jpg

Also bought a brand new ph1 fuel rail, a 3 bar FPR and a SBWorx fuel line return kit, I’ll get a updated fuel pump soon aswell.

It sure is moving along quick now mate...

Baby be here any day so things will stop for a bit soon.

Earlier I fitted my new alternator only to find out it doesn’t bloody work :rage: so off the road at the minute until I can get a different one.

172 Turbo
Congratulations! Got the same new project in our house at the moment. Ended up SORNing my car and locking it in the garage to think about next year!

Congratulations! Got the same new project in our house at the moment. Ended up SORNing my car and locking it in the garage to think about next year!

Same to you buddy! Same here I doubt I’ll do much this year to be honest.

Managed to give the wishbones a lick of paint, planning on doing the rear beam to match with new lines etc.

54_ADA006-1_B78-4528-_A25_B-320066713368.jpg