ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AD52 BHP

172 Turbo
#lackofballs!

I'm still getting the confidence on track to keep my foot buried when I know the car will do it! I've also got a nasty mark on the inside of a R888 from the B14s & arch liner yesterday.

Going to head back again rather than the safety of Bedford

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
#lackofballs!

I'm still getting the confidence on track to keep my foot buried when I know the car will do it! I've also got a nasty mark on the inside of a R888 from the B14s & arch liner yesterday.

Going to head back again rather than the safety of Bedford
It all comes with experience mate. I used to race bikes at cadwell, so I know it very well.

I found that I could take various corners at the 'ring flat out because I had no brakes! Lol! Pressed the pedal for a confidence application and found out that they'd overheated and fucked off!!

Whilst I don't recommend that way of learning, it certainly catches your attention. Ha ha!

172 Turbo
Chasing down a former 182 owner in their Intergra

Me being thrashed by a racer with standard power!

All day the cones were getting hit

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome. That racer was flying, there's no way i'd keep up with him which is shameful considering i've got about 50bhp more! Good effort though mate, car clearly went well.

172 Turbo
@cjgower yeah, car performed well as always, shame it's broken now :( Not sure what it is but something sounds loose.

Doing oil & filter change this weekend with aux belt service and removing the unsilenced center pipe to shut up the exhaust.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Looking good Keith! Flipping heck that racer was fast. Can't be on standard suspension surely?

172 Turbo
So the throttle bodies have sold so the car is going through another phase. I've no track days planned for the rest of the year and a diary that isn't allowing them at the moment so it was crazy to use it for running to the gym and back with the bodies on!

Going to take them off this weekend, been considering breaking the car and buying something else. However, I actually like it and can't think of another car apart from a Megane to replace it with! Who needs 200+bhp when you're getting your ass kicked by people with standard power!

172 Turbo
I love throttle bodies, I really do, those were the second set I owned. The noise they make, especially in the little villages around her is incredible. I'm glad I owned them again as I've always regretted selling my bodied 205 when we were short of cash with a baby on the way.

Mark kicking my arse in the video above made me realise though there isn't a need to chase figures, if you can drive!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That's a shame Keith but definitely don't break it! You'll regret it and buy another down the line. You've got cams though yeah?
A ktec induction is a long way to the sound of bodies without the expense :) mine sounds crackers with 438s and one of those.

172 Turbo
Missed your reply @GrahamS no cams in mine, just a standard engine. I'm going to put it back to completely standard induction.

Bodies are now off, and standard inlet partially refitted, should be back together this weekend.

Keep thinking on putting it back to standard and selling all the mods and buying a built high boost! Although I know I could learn a lot doing trackdays in a standard powered diffed car.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Missed your reply @GrahamS no cams in mine, just a standard engine. I'm going to put it back to completely standard induction.

Bodies are now off, and standard inlet partially refitted, should be back together this weekend.

Keep thinking on putting it back to standard and selling all the mods and buying a built high boost! Although I know I could learn a lot doing trackdays in a standard powered diffed car.
High boost clios are a lot of fun! Mines highish boost @ 280bhp and doesnt really feel over powered for the car and that's without a diff! For track though id rather my old standard ish car tbh, wouldn't be constantly worried about it going bang with expensive repair bills!

Keep the cup mate. If you've sold the bodies because you feel you can't make enough use of the car with them on. Then you've no real need to sell up and buy one with boost. It would be nicer for the road, but then you'd be getting at silly speeds before really benefiting from it, and on the track you'd be in the same situation as with the bodies.

Keep practicing with the cup with the standard engine and improving your own driving skills. Maybe some better suspension because that can make a big difference. And you can never have too much tuition.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
@robmuns saw your update, saw your car at the Weekender. Are you still boosting the other car?
Using the parts to boost my brothers Clio now, think you're quite local to me so happy to take you out in it if you're considering one or doing it yourself

172 Turbo
3 months on, car starting to show signs of not being used...

14390846_10155573154393868_3560137087487043289_n.jpg

Needs new rear discs for the mot due to a snapped rear stud, discs arrived in August, need to find some time!

172 Turbo
How bad is the broken stud in the disk?
Snapped flush to the disk.

I was ready to buy that RB today, until the seller got weird. I have the £1k deposit I intended to leave sat in the envelope in the kitchen. Never encountered anyone selling a car like that!

Clio 172 (CUP)
I was ready to buy that RB today, until the seller got weird. I have the £1k deposit I intended to leave sat in the envelope in the kitchen. Never encountered anyone selling a car like that!

Weird? ...Intrigued, do tell

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ah yeah, I read the tag but forgot to reply.

I Irchester it's a 172 engine with boost in a 182 shell. I don't think it's an overly quick one either.

Bit odd that he's got the car up for sale but selling bits off it!

172 Turbo
Well, last weekend I was meant to go and look at another Clio Turbo. But ended up fixing mine, after 4 months it walked it's MOT and was taxed on Tuesday!

Friday:

It had a small gearbox leak when I put it away which I thought was a seal. But the tiny gearbox oil leak is identified as the end cap leaking. When I didn't do the rear wheel up at the last track day and snapped the stud, I steered off the A road into the kitty litter at the side, looks like one of the stones pierced the cap on the box. MOT tester found a big stone on the subframe!
14484796_10155618115188868_8794593759244668419_n (1).jpg

This was about 17:10 Friday, I had to be home by 18:00 for the wife to go to work, but the garage got the job done (Armstrong Autos, Luton) and on Saturday morning after the car being sat unused since May 8th, I drove to Brugge!

unnamed (1).jpg

It was weird being back in the Clio, it is worlds away from my daily and just as I was relaxing the Connects2 came loose and I ended up having to listen to French radio for the journey through France.

My love for the car is back, I decided today that the spec is now as I want it apart from low boost which is where it'll go next. I'm going to keep an eye out for a mint Cup interior and front bumper to finish it off.

172 Turbo
Car has been off for a new gearbox end cap after the temp fix for Bruges, refitting of the exhaust and aux belt service. Got it back today :) Desperately needs that new bumper now though!
vlcsnap-2016-10-21-13h23m11s399.png

"OH, I told you not to cross then!"

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I love this, and I'm sure you'll be happier boosting this one instead of buying a dodgy one already boosted.

172 Turbo
Thanks @Davyy it's odd, I've had periods of intense hatred of it. It's sat broken in the garage for something like 18 months of it being owned for stupid little things when I lose interest in it. But when it's on the road and track, I love it.

I asked the garage to keep it for a few days to check it wasn't leaking any oil as I'm uber paranoid about hurting someone on track. The mechanic who owns a 300bhp Clio messaged me "your car handles perfectly, really impressed, that will be a complete weapon with a low blow kit" so I've obviously done something right!

Need to speak to ED to book it in for boost and currently looking for an R26 daily, could end up with quite a trackday dilemma!