ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Mini Adventure, to JCW GP...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Re: A Mini Adventure ...

I like the standard wheels - I agree with your standard looking/naughty inside conclusion!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

If you're doing it, do it properly and get cams etc at the same time. Don't be a vagina.

Looks good, and I'm over the moon the ricer wheels have gone. :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Had a spare 30 mins over the weekend so gave the fagwagon its 1st clean in my ownership. Used a hose, bucket & washmitt, dried with a purple towel from the bathroom & applied tyre shine. Considering i had a 5 minute beer break within that, i think it looks ok.

IMG_4878_zps84068b4a.jpg
IMG_4877_zpsdb47e61f.jpg
IMG_4879_zpsad8f5f32.jpg

Then this morning, a small package arrived which will partially remove the homo from the sides of the car. Something that has angered me from the day i bought it tbh. What possesses some people?

​2 mins ago, i went from this:
IMG_4909_zps7868f3f8.jpg

To this:
IMG_4911_zps1ff99ec4.jpg

Which now results in this:
IMG_4912_zps0947debd.jpg

Needless to say, i feel 100% less gay now.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Just booked it in for the following work at Minicraft on 17th July. Wahoo:

Supply & fit 15% Kavs pulley, belt & NGK plugs
Supply & fit Powerflex front wishbone bushes
Fit R56S calipers, Pagid 294mm discs, (tbc) pads, HEL braided lines f/r and some spaffy brake fluid

Finding that mini ownership really is a joy, car is great to hoon about in, but my god, there are soo many things to potentially spend your money on :eek:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

You've changed Dave. It lacks a little passion for me.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

That was one of the best looking R53s online that I found when looking for mine. Plain and simple but very effective!

Seriously? On a set of terrible TD halfords wheels? Behave man!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Dave, IR confused. You says you has money to play, yet doesn't fit cams...

I know, i know, just dont want to do everything at once. Nothing to look forwards to then ... although the temptation is strong.

Runsh4ts now sold, Hankook V12 Evo's in the post from Camskill. Wahoo.

Looks great in that colour combo, I've always liked the s/c cooper s & always fancied one too. Lots of things to do to them. how far are your wanting to take the engine tuning to Dave?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Looks great in that colour combo, I've always liked the s/c cooper s & always fancied one too. Lots of things to do to them. how far are your wanting to take the engine tuning to Dave?

​This is the problem lol. Unlike the clio, which is very good out the box, & so obscenely expensive to get power out of, i was always happy to just to the basic suspension/braking changes. The mini is so cheap to get decent power out of its almost rude not to, & the suspension needs more tinkering with to be perfect.

In the short term, im just going for a 15% KAVS pulley to add to the GRS Motorsport intercooler & DaveF airbox that ive aleady fitted, longer term will probably involve a Newman cam (£175), 550cc injectors (£250 or so) and a tune (£400). Then maybe a Janspeed manifold & 1320 'tomcat' (£450) to finish it all off. Sarah's brother got 240bhp sans manifold and that thing goes like a rocket, so ill probably not bother with the Janspeed - dont want any more noise either tbh.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Manifold for noiseeeeeee! Poppppppp brap pap cackle!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

I am loving the effort so far............ but snap those fecking lights off the front will you

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

As above, whats it like on juice compared to the Clio / R32?

I've been using my bosses R32 and I seem to be averaging anywhere between 25-29. Such an epic car to live with day to day, I hate giving it back haha.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

We found our MPG went up after realising the rear brakes were binding on the S..:eek: 32mpg with normal driving.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Still want a GP, what MPG are you achieving Davey?

As above, whats it like on juice compared to the Clio / R32?

I've been using my bosses R32 and I seem to be averaging anywhere between 25-29. Such an epic car to live with day to day, I hate giving it back haha.

Mines a very early one, so no mpg gauge (for now anyways), but i reckon i'm doing about 30 overall. Its nowhere near as good as the 1*2, but a bit better than the R32. I'm not sure its a car you'd buy if you were worried about mpg, mainly as the whine is so addictive :eek:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

I'd say I get slightly better mpg in the R32 than I did in my R53. Different cars though, and doing my journeys I'd say the Mini encouraged you to give it the beans more. It is still a very uneconomical car though.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

​Sh1t tyres be gone!!! Had the Hankooks fitted yesterday afternoon and well, all i can say is wow, feels like a completely different car lol!!!

Steering is lighter, it doesnt follow every ridge or bump in the road and even some of the interior rattles have gone. Win.

Arch gap is slightly increased, but c'est la vie, ill just have to buy coilovers :clown:

599b20d2-ba69-4ea4-8555-5f2f1eafc8da_zpsa9cf8ae4.jpg

Also picked up a slightly more fruity setup for tracktime ;)

298_zps210eed79.jpg

301_zps1760f263.jpg

Clio wheels on a mini i hear you say? Well yes, same fitment (need 60.1 to 56.1 spigots) but clio owners are very much known for charging 9/10 of f*ck all for everything, very much unlike mini owners!! 16's as well, so will be slightly cheaper when the R888's need replacing ...

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Dave I have some 16" 888's when those run out ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

lol. Went home to Cornwall, & the car scraped all the way down my parents drive, so i didnt see the point in keeping them.

​They've now graveled the drive. FFS.

Raise them? Novel concept I know ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Nice job on the wheels, means I can steal them when you decide the fagmobile just won't cut it on track ;)

Ha ha, im sure it will, just in a slightly different way to the clio i think.

Put together a little suspension shopping list this morning as it happens:

AP Coilovers - was more than happy with them on the R32 & very similar to KV V1 imho
Hardrace adjustable control arms - to adjust rear camber
Hardrace roll centre adjusters - bumpsteer reduction, useful after lowering
F camber plates: Mini Cooper Front Camber Plates 2002-2006. Provides 1.3 Degree Negative Camber | eBay - give circa -1.5 on the front
RARB tuning kit: Mini Cooper Anti-Roll/ Sway Bar Tuning Kit. EZ, Economical Bolt-on Mod | eBay - will allow me to 'tighten up' the existing rear ARB instead of having the faff of buying/installing a larger one.

Decided that this needs to take priority over cam/550's/tune for the moment.

Tangoed Works

Should have got the 45 profile tyres mate. Although 40 is nice for a firmer sharper turn in, you have horrible arch gap even with coils. When you lower more you scrape.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Should have got the 45 profile tyres mate. Although 40 is nice for a firmer sharper turn in, you have horrible arch gap even with coils. When you lower more you scrape.

Yeah i did think that, but was unsure of having a 215 on the standard wheels? Ride seems ok and the moment though, & well wheelgap? Ive had 3 Trophy's lol ;)

So i collected the car from Minicraft last night and well what can i say? BIG difference lol. The extra power from the 15% pulley is really obvious, no extra 3bhp from exhaust/filter/remap like on the 1*2's here. On a ruddy hot day, their DD dyno showed an improvement from 164-199bhp, & whilst i never quite believe a tuners own figures, im sure it'll make similar at my next outing to Surrey Rolling Road! Brakes are hilarious, nearly put my head through the windscreen with my stamp on the middle peddle!! Powerflex wishbone bushes have also made a humongous difference, no more play in the steering & a much sharper feel to everything, like a different car now in terms of power, braking and steering ...

Overall Trevor said my car is pretty healthy, & certainly a good example of the breed. Happy enough with that. Only real issue was that the rear R53 brake lines i supplied were wrong (i gave them screw in, but mine were Banjo?), so ill have to get that sorted out at some point. Oh, & the fact that their place was full of properly naughty R53's and R56's. Bye bye money in wallet.

Finally he gave it a quick clean for me, which was much appreciated (i have to park under a tree outside my flat). Some cr4ppy pictures.

More boost:
IMG_5735_zps12388575.jpg

More braking:
IMG_5739_zpsd11a93cf.jpg

Had a very interesting drive home lol. Much quicker than before!!!

Then got to work this morning and fitted the OMP upper front strut brace that arrived yesterday afternoon. I know they dont offer as much of a benefit when compared to the lower one, but for £25, who cares lol. Ill get the lower at some point in the future.

Before:
IMG_5747_zps2efc8590.jpg

After:
IMG_5746_zps371a6f89.jpg

And finally, fitment of a scangauge, partly so that i can keep an eye on various 'things' (not sure what is most important yet lol), but also as my early mini doesnt have a trip computer and speedo in the rev counter - which drives me nuts. Central speedo looks nice, but i hate having to take my eyes of the road to see my speed!!!

IMG_5742_zpscb17b02d.jpg

IMG_5744_zps64c9ef57.jpg

And a couple of clean shots at home:

IMG_5738_zps2c09be77.jpg

IMG_5737_zps80b961b3.jpg

Overall, i think its brilliant.

The whine is addictive and all the (very small) changes ive done to the car have improved it 100%, posh clio FTW.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member

Out of interest Dave, how would you compare it to the 197 you owned briefly?

Only reason I ask is that they are 2 possibilities for my next car in the next few months.

Car looks great by the way and the latest additions sound like a great improvement.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

I might of missed it but what brakes have you put on it now then?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Out of interest Dave, how would you compare it to the 197 you owned briefly? Only reason I ask is that they are 2 possibilities for my next car in the next few months. Car looks great by the way and the latest additions sound like a great improvement.

Thanks for your kind comments :D Re: the 197, i really wasnt a fan tbh, hence it only lasted 3 weeks lol. Whilst it was good when you were 'on it', i found it a bit pants for day to day driving, steering was too light, mpg was rubbish and it needed 5k rpm on the rev counter to even consider moving. Also at £6.5k it simply wasnt worth twice what a 1*2/R53 costs.

Nice work. Now remove the spot lights..;)

I'm sure i will at some point, although i quite like the extra light that they give :eek:

I might of missed it but what brakes have you put on it now then?

R56S front calipers with 294mm discs (same setup as the Works GP), Mintex 1144 pads, Hel braided lines & Motul RBF600 fluid. Feel a lot stronger in normally usage and when you stamp on them its like being in a different car to before!! Not sure how the 1144's will be on track, but im sure with the arch liners/fog lights etc removed im sure they'll survive, ill just have to brake less lol.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

This is coming along very nicely young Crankee. When is it venturing on Track? You should bring it down to Llandow bud. Can have my drivers / car slot if you want as the flamer won't be fixed what with the house move. Text me if you're keen.