ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Mini Adventure, to JCW GP...

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Re: A Mini Adventure ...

Just got back from Andorra to see this. I knew you'd like it. I liked my r53 when I had it, but got annoyed at changing Power Steering pumps every 5 mins lol.

They do handle well, very well.

I'd get a more 'bubbly' exhaust on it and change the wheels. Then the old smaller pulley route....

You also need to de-chrome some bits on the front, way too much bling on the front IMO I'm afraid chap.

Last edited:
A Mini Adventure ...

Looks good mate!

I'm still enjoying mine after a few years, you might have seen it at SRR in feb. I wouldn't bother with 15% tho just chuck a 17% on, home made dave.f, and manifold. Best mods I've done and silent daily but loud when having a drive.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

You also need to de-chrome some bits on the front, way too much bling on the front IMO I'm afraid chap.

The front lamps are definately coming off!! And not just because they wobble around all over the place. Other than that, im not sure i can be bothered to do anything to do it for the time being. Dont want to do anything that makes it anything other than OEM+. Like the idea of PR1.2's to reduce unsprung weight, but then its just looks modified, which isnt what i want. The bullets, whilsy not the best looking wheels in the world are at least, easy to clean & the lightest of the standard 17's iirc.

Looks good mate!

I'm still enjoying mine after a few years, you might have seen it at SRR in feb. I wouldn't bother with 15% tho just chuck a 17% on, home made dave.f, and manifold. Best mods I've done and silent daily but loud when having a drive.

I think i turned up just after you left - what sort of power did yours put out? Dont you have any issues with temps running a 17% on standard IC?

A Mini Adventure ...

I think i turned up just after you left - what sort of power did yours put out? Dont you have any issues with temps running a 17% on standard IC?

I ran 220 bhp. I have a GP intercooler on mine but ran standard for a while with no problems. It's more about prolonged times at high revs. Like on track 15% is better because in the high revs often but the midrange torque of the 17% is better IMO which is more useful on the road.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Glad the lamps are going, I'd also change the chrome radiator grille surrounds (go black, as still OEM). Fair comment on wheels etc, plus, given you've bought it to save cash then you're right, changing stuff that is largely cosmetic is pointless.

When is it making its first appearance on track?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
A Mini Adventure ...

Not bad cars but after a 10 minute drive in one the whine done my tits in

Suzuki Swift Sport

Have you checked the bypass valve? my mate took an s in part ex and I took it for a drive and it was way slower than mine, we put a new bypass valve on it and it went much better, I reckon it was as slow as a cooper with the knackered valve!

This is what you need...

http://www.lohen.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=MINIBypassValveG1

I would do it anyway as I think its very common, no point in putting a pulley on if you have a boost leak.

A Mini Adventure ...

Have you checked the bypass valve? my mate took an s in part ex and I took it for a drive and it was way slower than mine, we put a new bypass valve on it and it went much better, I reckon it was as slow as a cooper with the knackered valve!

This is what you need...

I would do it anyway as I think its very common, no point in putting a pulley on if you have a boost leak.

It's obvious when it's gone. Like any car, don't change what isn't broken.

Suzuki Swift Sport

It's obvious when it's gone. Like any car, don't change what isn't broken.

When I spoke to Roland at GTT he suggested otherwise, there is a chance it can be slightly leaking in which case you wouldn't necessarily notice, I was suggesting checking it rather than going ahead and ordering a new part...

This is what you need...

When I spoke to Roland at GTT he suggested otherwise, there is a chance it can be slightly leaking in which case you wouldn't necessarily notice, I was suggesting checking it rather than going ahead and ordering a new part...

sorry, I misunderstood you when you said 'i would do it anyway' I didn't realise you we're suggesting to check it. Anyway, back on topic!

Btw have you seen Roland's reputation about his products?

A Mini Adventure ...

There is none mate unless its broken, then you can uprate the spring to take more pressure. It's a valve that opens if the boost gets ridiculous but the standard one has been fine for me and others. When it breaks it leaks the boost pressure and you obv lose power.

Suzuki Swift Sport

He does have a lot of hate - well did 5 years ago when I had my car, however he still seemed to have a very strong mind about the way bypass valves can affect performance and from my experience he was right. I always thought for a 163bhp hatch it felt quicker than you would expect which is why I thought there could be an issue.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

I always thought for a 163bhp hatch it felt quicker than you would expect which is why I thought there could be an issue.

Oh, its not that slow dont get me wrong lol.

But when your used to a mk5 R32, & the blue mini that your following has 240bhp, a few more ponies would be worthwhile ;)

Suzuki Swift Sport

Oh, its not that slow dont get me wrong lol.

But when your used to a mk5 R32, & the blue mini that your following has 240bhp, a few more ponies would be worthwhile ;)

I was going to say, it depends what you class as quick, similarly I have driven quite a few cars which are much quicker and I know that feeling you get. But all considered I remember my cooper s keeping up with my mates 182 cup on the autobahn all the way past 140 indicated!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Sold the Trophy on Weds, bought coilovers for the mini on Thurs.

Oopsy :eek:

R53mini.jpg

Titanium 182

Mini's already look like they have made camber on the rear, does it get more when you apply the above?

Tangoed Works

If you stay at a sensible ride height you don't necessarily need adj arms. I am down about 20mm on the rear and still at -1.5 deg. I think with the stock arms you will be around -2 deg. The later models have a bit of adjustment.

I would spend the money on R56 rear trailing arms as the multi links have about 1 deg of camber adjustment built in. The lighter arms approx 7kg a side makes the ride so much smoother and the front and rear feel more connected. The stock link arms are also a lot lighter than these aftermarket ones further improving performance.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Havent really done much with the mini over the past few weeks, took it down to Cornwall for the Easter weekend to see the family and as per usual, had a right giggle. Especially with the roof back & the tunes pumping on the way back. Rollin like a homo :eek:

The long drive really accentuated a couple of things really, how bad the brakes are, & how slow it is as standard, when not ragging the t1ts off it. Its also developed a couple of blooming irritating rattles from both doorcards, for which i blame Surrey's terrible roads for. Pothole central between Weybridge & Hampton at the moment!!!

So, whilst i still havent managed to get the Haldex controller/coilovers off the R32 so that i can actually advertise it properly (rain all day Saturday put paid to that :dapprove:), i've slowly been stock piling bits to fit to the mini at some point. Not to modify it of course, but simply to make it safer lol.

R56S calipers & carriers, been painted red with the 'Works' stickers - they're nigh on the same as the R53 JCW calipers anyway, so its ok to mimic the proper ones irc. Just need some R56 braided lines, 294mm discs & pads at some point to get them fitted. Should improve stopping performance by at least 1 million percept!!!

new013-8_zps9055719f.jpg

Then the Meister R coilovers, not to lower it as such, just to improve the ride quality (when combined with non-RF tyres!!):

1_zps1856607d.jpg

photo2_zps7bb01a0e.jpg

Also been looking into the 'Hobo' airbox mod, which is effectly creating a copy of the 'Dave F' but using bits of old B&Q drain and a dremel.

Finally, wheels & more importantly, non-RF tyres. Bought these recently off a chap on MT/CS, but am very much unsure as to whether i'll be fitting them or not. Imho they dont scream modified like a set of Pro Race 1.2's, but they're still a bit 'tuner' for me i think.

IMAG0523_zpsa5b40ca8.jpg

IMAG0524_zpsf835ac5a.jpg

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Cant say im a fan of the wheels...

They do look good on Turinis though :rasp:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Well I totally missed this thread, totally.

Love the new wheels, get them on.

Coilovers and brakes too? You're going to regret spending all this when you sell it next week, and you know it!

ST

Very nice.. I miss my charged JCW mini.. Tho picked up my turbo'd JCW 3 wks ago..

py8a3aru.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

f**king purple wheels?

Dave what the hell is wrong with you. Just put none RF's on the OEM wheels.

Silver pro races looks a lot better than those shocking things.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Well I totally missed this thread, totally.

Love the new wheels, get them on.

Coilovers and brakes too? You're going to regret spending all this when you sell it next week, and you know it!

Ha ha, i havent fitted any of it yet, its just sat in the cupboard :p

Just like having something to tinker with tbh, makes a change from a clio anyways ... and Sarah wont let me have Lego in the house lol.

f**king purple wheels?

Dave what the hell is wrong with you. Just put none RF's on the OEM wheels.

Silver pro races looks a lot better than those shocking things.

They're anthracite, god only knows why they have a purple tinge in the pictures!!

320d

This is making me want a Mini now Dave.

How is it on fuel? My 182 has just averaged 42.5 MPG over a 500 mile round trip at around 65ish mph average, which I'd say is pretty excellent. I doubt the Mini would get near that but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

This is making me want a Mini now Dave.

How is it on fuel? My 182 has just averaged 42.5 MPG over a 500 mile round trip at around 65ish mph average, which I'd say is pretty excellent. I doubt the Mini would get near that but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Ha ha, its a good little car i reckon!! Mpg wise, no idea what it would do at 65mph lol, but it averaged about 30 ish on the trips to Wales & Cornwall (no trip computer so worked out), & i wasnt really hanging around up in the Valleys. On the motorway i tend to cruise an an indicated 80 or so.

5/6 mpg worse than the Trophy for normal usage id say.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I like it. Not convinced on the wheels though, like you say. They're a bit... dunno.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

You not needing another Trophy yet? Must have been 3 weeks surely?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Dave the Ricer. Find another way home pizza boy!

This one isn't going to be lived down for a while, trust me David. As you can tell, I no like the wheels. :)

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i

Not as bad as I thought!

Lmao at you buying it to save money then modding it though, ah well at least you tried :rasp:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

This passed me by.

Well done for keeping it this long.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Oh i wont, I've had the misfortune of one of those in my life already.

Yes there are nice elements but overall the experience is bad.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Not as bad as I thought!

Lmao at you buying it to save money then modding it though, ah well at least you tried :rasp:

lol, ive bought many things, doesnt mean ive fitted them though!!

Been too busy breaking inner cv joints on the R32 to even consider touching the Mini anyway :eek:

Well done for keeping it this long.

Its a struggle trust me.

Some ars3hole in the office next door just bought a velvet blue e92 M3. I hate him. Lots.

Stupid house deposit.