ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DetailMe BG182 project thread

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Hello all, thought it was about time I put up a projects thread as promised. Now to start with this isn’t the usual thread you will finding in the projects, but i know it might be of interest to some of you! Im a detailer and mechanic by trade so all the work from here on in naturally has tobe fitted around my paying customers ! J Plan is to sort a few niggley bits here and their, and carry out a full wet sand detail, hopefully this week. Next year moving onto track prep and who knows.
Ok so the car came from James at JMS, tbh i wasn’t really looking for a car that had all the bits this had, however it had a full top and bottom engine rebuild along with a few mods that i was going to do anyway so it looked very appealing. After a drive and inspection i bought it.
So this is how it ended up back at ‘shop’

DSC03287.jpg

I have to say that the car is a real credit to its previousowners, considering its mileage and being 7 years young. Although its nothing icant improve on! ;)
Spec from ad:
H&R Adjustable Coilover SuspensionKit
Custom ARB - Fully adjustable
Trophy Speed line Turini Alloys wheelscomplete with V12 EVO tyres
3mm Wheel spacers + New galvanisedwheel bolts
Ferodo DS2500 Performance brake pads
Brembo HC Performance brake discs
Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines(all round)
ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
Fully Rebuilt Top & Bottom End
Catcam 428 Performance Camshafts
RS Tuning Leeds ECU Calibration
ITG/SFS/ Stone Induction Set-up
ARP Performance Con-rod bolts
Angel Works Matched Inlets
Piper Performance Cat-Back Exhaust
Silenced De-cat (Sports catalyst alsoincluded)
Renault Sport/ Sabelt Cup Racersteering wheel & MOMO Boss

Got to say am mega happy with it, so solid and quick too. Cant wait till the weather improves next year to do a little track time!
And so it starts. The first pics are poo, but will be switching to my slr when it progresses: Engine bay was looking a little grotty.Shiffted the grease and muck with steam and Bilt hambersurfex and various brushes.
IMG_0512.jpg

A red top race battery was fitted under the passenger seat. I wanted an oem battery so ripped this out at the same time.

DSC04662.jpg

DSC04663.jpg

All fitted, filter tighter than a nuns wotsit but it fits!

DSC04669.jpg

Final clean, all painted bits hand polished with Autofinesse triple and final wipe down with a trim finisher. For now this will tiedme over till next year when i decide what im doing with it. (will show pics later)

Interior again nothing major. Usual stuff here, seats andcarpets cleaned with mild mix of autosmart brisk and raceglaze alcantara cleaner. Now, we all know how lovely suede/alcantara looks, but for a steering wheel its an absolute joke! I know my sabelt is beyond help but it needed something!

DSC04648-1.jpg

DSC04649-1.jpg

First a major scrub to try and separate the fibres

DSC04652.jpg

I didn’t even bother with the raceglaze, so went to the brisk, in fairness its a little strong here

DSC04653.jpg

So trick is not to get it too wet, less is more or you will f**k it up more than it already is. Small circular motion with a cloth. I used old flannels as my microfibers are too soft for this task.

DSC04655.jpg

Can see top left the blue starting to show

DSC04657.jpg

Holy s**t! Most is dirt, although a little dye has lifted but it was to be expected

DSC04659.jpg

Finally much brushing to lift the nap of the alcantara left me with this, quite happy. Im not going any more than this as i know within a week it will look s**t again.

DSC04661.jpg

Love the sabelt, not sure what to do. I have two options, retrim in leather or i have this kicking about in the garage that could be retrimed J

DSC04688.jpg

So obligatory new renaultsport mats and thats done, again for now.

DSC04682.jpg

New number plate light fitted

DSC04684.jpg

DSC04685.jpg

Both my fogs were cracked, so i sourced two used ones from here. Knowing my OCD-ness i shouldnt have even entertained used, as quite frankly they were poop. Being glass there isn’t alot i can do with them, so i'll stick these in for now , whilst i source two new ones. Gave them a quick sand to revive a little.

DSC04676.jpg

DSC04678.jpg

Stupid auto wipers don’t work, so popped the sensor out and cleaned and re-gelled. All working now! ;)
There was only two dents i needed removing. A quick call to my dent man and he had them out within the hour

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Back into the unit now in prep for the ‘big detail’ had a few hours to kill so tackled the headlights. All taped up, fetching pretty blue guyliner;)

DSC04700.jpg

This is what state they were in;

DSC04696.jpg

DSC04698.jpg

When wetsanding anything, i use unigrit/meguairs wet paper and mirka abralon dics. These are the pretty much the industry standard and are superb.

DSC04694.jpg

DSC04695.jpg

i put 2k, 3k, &4k grit papers and disc into soapy water to soak. Remember if any of you decideto try wet sanding via DA, water and electricity doesn’t mix! I sand by air .Be very carefull if you use your DAS6 or whatever!
DSC04701.jpg

On first test using 2k via mini da, it didn’t touch the uv damage. I ripped out the 1k disc on rotary (more cut than da will achieve). Soon realised i was going to get through a fair few 1k discs.
DSC04702.jpg

I decided to swap to 600 by hand! (don’t know why theres a 400 grit in the pic lol)
DSC04703.jpg

After many sets this shifted all the heavy damage, and made a nice matt, even finish to refine.

DSC04704.jpg

DSC04705.jpg

A little tip: When wet sanding, whether your blending in at ouch up, removing orange peel or whatever, whilst the panel is wet it wont show you the true finish. Even wiping the panel is not enough, so i use a heat gun (hair dryer is fine) to carefully dry the area. This will show you the true finish. So in this case, the scabby uv damage looks to be all but gone, but once you dry it, you can still see theres some present. In that case continue until its removed. Once your happy, the process was to refine from 1k, 2k then 4k via DA.

DSC04706.jpg

Final two stages, a few passes with Scholl S17+ with a 3m green compounding pad and finally a yellow polishing pad.

DSC04707.jpg

DSC04708.jpg

One done one to go.

DSC04710.jpg

DSC04713.jpg

Happy with that!
J

More to follow...
Chris
DetailMe

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Really nice start to a project and a nice base to start with!!

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport

So the plan was a week long wet sand detail (to remove thefactory orange peel) but again due to customers cars it couldn’t get done L Nevertheless I wantedthe car to a certain standard with a layer of Cquartz to protect over thewinter months. For now this will do, but i will revisit to carry out somerefurbs of suspension/subframe etc in the new year.In between custys cars ive been getting busy. Car as istarted, a right stinker!
DSC01999.jpg

DSC02000.jpg

DSC02001.jpg

DSC02003.jpg

Tools for the job!

DSC02006.jpg

Started with wheel removal, pretty grim. Autosmart g101 used to degrease and clean up.
DSC02007.jpg

DSC02008.jpg

DSC02011.jpg

Tardis used to remove the tar spots.
DSC02015.jpg

Looking better
DSC02018.jpg

Same with the rear
DSC02021.jpg

Onto the wheels Autosmart smart wheels was used first
DSC02012.jpg

Masses of tar and old wheel weight glue to remove
DSC02016.jpg

And Iron x doing its magic
DSC02019.jpg

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
At this point the temperature decided to dip below freezing.Camera went away and i cracked on. The poxy water was freezing on the car, notideal! Usual process above was carried out, and brought in to the workshop toclay.
DSC02022.jpg

Bilt Hamber medium clay used. Little tip, instead of using your clay like this
DSC02024.jpg

Have it in your palm and literally glide it over the paintwith no pressure. This will minimise marring, and help stop you dropping it!
DSC02025.jpg

This was after doing just a quarter of the roof
DSC02026.jpg

Removed rear badges
DSC02047.jpg

The car has a fair amount of the usual stone chips, which imgoing to leave for now but there was a couple of bigger digs on the bonnet. iPod Touched them in and using my de nibber removed the protruding paint.

DSC02039.jpg

DSC02034.jpg

Some f**k-wit decidedto put something on my bonnet and left a nasty scratch so i cracked out my wetsanding kit to get rid and blend the touch ups. So 2000 then onto 4000 left itnice and matte.
DSC02040.jpg

DSC02029.jpg

DSC02027.jpg

DSC02041.jpg

To refine, a Scholl sandwich spider pad with s3 gold leftthis
DSC02045.jpg

DSC02044.jpg

Further refined down with Scholl s17+ and lake countrypolishing pad left this gold fleck
DSC02043.jpg

So had two days to machine the paint. Unfortunately thepictures went down hill from here, was really up against it for time, and itwas minus 4 and i wanted to crack on and get it done!
Was surprised to find every panel had original paint witharound 150+ microns to play with.
First time machining a 182, and my god wasn’t expecting suchhard paint! This is like Audi hard ceramic lacquer! Went through all my combo’sand found lake country purple wool and Scholl sandwich spider pad with S3 for compounding,and s17 with 3m yellow, lake country polishing pad and Scholl purple. Many setsto achiever a decent correction. Some of the deeper marks remain but werelessened massively. Some progress shots
DSC02053.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

After alot of hours work, 2 wipe downs with carpro eraser,then sealed with Carpro cquartz UK edition.
DSC02054.jpg

In my opinion this is the best and easiest nano ceramicsealant around, and it didn’t disappoint. Wheels also removed and cquartzed,tyres dressed with zaino z7 and locking wheel bolts sprayed hamerite smoothsilver. Plastics cleaned with neat ipa and treated again to Cquartz. Exhaustquickly cleaned with britemax twins. Unfortunately it was dark and pissing itdown when it was done so the pics are in the garage (which has s**t lightsuntil my new super doopa ones get fitted next month!)
Oh and new rs ‘sticker’ fitted ;)
DSC02170.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

DSC02178.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

DSC02197.jpg

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02198.jpg

DSC02202.jpg

Let me know what you think and sorry it wasn’t the big rightup i had hoped for!
Chris
DetailMe

Reactions: Gus
This looks awesome now, never been a massive fan of BG, but this is stunning. Anthracite Turinis work really well too!

Good job mate.

Lionel Richie
55602miles cambelt + aux kit + service 13/03/10
brake kit mail order 25/06/10
66005 service 4/09/10

then i never saw it again LOL

Corsa Van. Meh.
Thought i recognised that number plate, we've worked on that one a few times

That you did Fred. Remember cutting your hand on the slam panel?!

Looks absolutley brillaint!

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
Ah the car i sliced my hand on the radiator and ended up with 3 stiches in my hand (but still finished the job!) what happened to the engine then?

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Ah the car i sliced my hand on the radiator and ended up with 3 stiches in my hand (but still finished the job!) what happened to the engine then?

Funny (not for you),I was just reading about that! That's dedication!

engine was breathing a bit heavy so had a rebuild to freshen it up. Still pulling like a trooper, 50 miles before its on 100k! It's spot on. Will get it on the rollers in the new year but I'm expecting 190. Not that the numbers really matter!

chris

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Just stumbled across the Project thread Chris!

You really have transformed the paint work, Excellent work & glad to see it's being well cared for :approve:

In a way I'm a little gutted to have let this go after the engine work that went into it as it certainly felt a very strong lump & drove so well! You using it as a daily or with that mint paint work now she staying a driveway queen lol?

That reminds me, I have a set of 172 Full Fat door cards for sale if your on the hunt?

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Hello James hope things are going well with you. Yeah car looks and going well mate, came up so well for its age and mileage, certainly been looked after in its life. Def not a garage queen, use most days, and will be tracked when the weather improves! ;)

Turns out it had factory recaro's hence the cloth cards. I might be interested mate, depends If I put bimarco's in, u still able to get these?

take care mate