ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Mini Adventure, to JCW GP...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So yeah, took a deposit on the Trophy the other day, R32 will be up for sale shortly, & this will shortly be my sole mode of transport.

As we're actually starting to look for a house now, cash in the bank is more important now really.

'52 plate, 64k miles, full BMWSH, MOT/Tax till November, recent power steering pump, front wheel bearings, ball joints, track rod ends and an Inspection 2 service. Options wise its got the usual chilli pack & cd player with radio boost, along with full leather interior, panoramic roof, facelift xenons & 3 spoke steering wheel. I already miss cruise control, but beggars can't be choosers.

Having never actually driven one before (just passengered in Richard's, Sarah's brother), first impressions are that its a right giggle to drive, the whine is hilarious and the steering is quite frankly ridiculous, literally like a go-kart, soo direct. So yeah, i guess i can understand why they are as common as muck, even without the Mini badge it comes across as being quite a decent car. The ride is hard with the runflats, but certainly no worse than the Trophy/R32 on coilovers. The brakes are rubbish, but that might have something to do with the grooved dics being put on the wrong way round lol ...

So here are a couple of awful pictures - will be off to Wales in it tonight for a weekend hooning around the Brecons so will probably take some better shots then :)

IMG_3763_zps5842ece3.jpg

IMG_3764_zps4e8a2033.jpg

IMG_3621_zpsed8ad11f.jpg

IMG_3762_zps873fbc25.jpg

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Re: A Mini Adventure ...

Hard top version of the Mrs's minus a LSD..

I bet the fuel consumption is on par or worse the the R32.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

Nice my missus pretty much has the exact same thing but it has a jcw kit on it. I'd probably be happy to own one tbh.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
A Mini Adventure ...

Looks lovely Dave! Will be interested to see how you get on with it.

I've been eying them up since SRR.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Not really that bothered about mpg tbh, was happy enough with 28mpg doing 100 miles a day, now im doing under 10 lol.

I see! You should be getting a V8 in that case..lol

They are such fun to drive. Any plans?

iceberg phase 2 172

i quite like these , have fun around the beacons mate , watch out tho we'v had some bad rain/wind/snow/hail all in the last 24 hours lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

I see! You should be getting a V8 in that case..lol

They are such fun to drive. Any plans?

Ha ha, i did consider an old 5/740i or something, but I wanted low speed fun 1st and foremost, with a cheap buyprice, that was ok for work/my car allowance. Stupidly a mini is fine image wise, despite being older than the Trophy - which was deemed 'inappropriate for someone of my position'.

Plans wise, not much, except a 15% pulley of course.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

I like the look of them.

I will never buy one mainly because the seats. My kidneys felt like they had the s**t punched out of them after a long test drive I had in one.

Titanium 182

Thank the lord it has a 3 spoke steering wheel!

I COULD not live with the 2 spoke one, it is rather s**te.

Are you gonna get one of those Dave F Hybrid air filter thingys everyone waffles on about for it?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
A Mini Adventure ...

What a gay title; fits your image perfectly now ;) And lol at two comments already about wives/girlfriends having one!

Saying all that I love it, trying to tempt Pri to get one lol

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T

Best colour for a MCS but I'll give it a week before you are back on AT/eBay/PH looking at 330's.

RX7 FD

I got to hoon one of these around Donnington a fair few years back. Loved every second of it!

Since then always had a small soft spot for them.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

I hate the front lights and those wheels but at least you bought good spec and the right colour. It doesn't suit you. ;)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

Those wheels are utter gashment. i do quite like the overall package though.

A Mini Adventure ...

Nice - these sound hilarious with a decat or exhaust when at idle. I'd buy one just for the noise (and DAT whine)...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Nice - these sound hilarious with a decat or exhaust when at idle. I'd buy one just for the noise (and DAT whine)...

Yeah, i dont think spending the weekend with Richard and his 240bhp one is going to be helpful lol. Had to pedal the M3 a bit this time last year to keep up!! The whine is pretty amusing as it is, although with a few bits of tubing from B&Q you can build your own 'Dave F' airbox for less than 50 quid ...

Keep looking at chopping the Z in for a GP.

Not sure id be doing that anytime soon - I simply couldnt wrap my head around the price premium for the GP.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245

Never driven one but they're always tempting come new car time.
Nice example too!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

I loved the popping and crackles off the Milltek'd GP I drove, utter lunatic little car.

Suzuki Swift Sport

[video=youtube_share;_DnPEtBqAf4]http://youtu.be/_DnPEtBqAf4[/video]

This was my old 05 cooper s with a Larini exhaust fitted. Loved these cars, drove a lot of miles in Cooper S's including a ring trip and really enjoyed it! Went well and handled well out of the box, just brakes were a week point but im sure some decent pads would help a lot!

Never above 25mpg

Lowest mileage car you've owned yet??

I don't think I could cope with the small boot but BMW build quality is the winning factor!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I love the idea of a Cooper S, but I can't see the point in them over a normal cooper.

Tuning potential I suppose?

Nice car all the same. Once the kids have grown up, i'd love to get one for the wife, in the same colour too.

Lotus Elise

I love the idea of a Cooper S, but I can't see the point in them over a normal cooper.

Tuning potential I suppose?

Nice car all the same. Once the kids have grown up, i'd love to get one for the wife, in the same colour too.

One D is the best IMO has the Cooper S hydraulic steering and 6 speed box.

Standard cooper steering and box are nowhere near as nice.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC

I had one brand new back in '02, fun little cars with a decent turn of speed. nice one!

53 Clio's & counting

looks tidy dave!

i just hate the gearshift :(

Oh, if you want a cheap but decent exhaust, the last Cooper S i sold I had off a mate, and the exhaust rusted through so he took a change on an ebay special - paid £270 delivered for a full cat back system.

Was brilliant!! Very well made, was quiet in normal use and a really nice tone under WOT, and popped and crackled on overrun

Tangoed Works

Simple mods to improve the car;

Dave f / jcw airbox + 5-10hp
pulley go for a 11-15% reduction +20 hp
change brake fluid for Motul RBF 600, much more solid pedal
Non runflats

enjoy for a while.

I borrowed 1320's ds mcs with a mynes tune. So much more torque and fuel lasted for ages. On my works I have to try hard to get 50 miles from £10. On the tuned one, even with regular wot blats it easily returned 50 miles for £10.

if you want noise forget a cat back and just change the mani. No sound when driving normally but only gets loud on full throttle over 4k rpm

[youtube]caNotqStWIc[/youtube]

Last edited:
  Leon Cupra 300

Awesomes.

My mate used to sell Minis before moving on to Audi. Used to love ragging about in these supercharged ones. Sound awesome.

MK3 Clio DCI 86

i do really like these, just the dash i think would always put me off

Same here, it's the only thing stopping me getting one. The speedo in the middle will drive me nuts (I hear if you have the sat nav are the speedo/revs are in the "normal" position ?)

Lotus Elise

Same here, it's the only thing stopping me getting one. The speedo in the middle will drive me nuts (I hear if you have the sat nav are the speedo/revs are in the "normal" position ?)

You have a digital speedo in the rev counter.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Coopers are sooooo slow. This one isnt exactly quick as standard, but as you say, tuning potential is there.

Oh, if you want a cheap but decent exhaust, the last Cooper S i sold I had off a mate, and the exhaust rusted through so he took a change on an ebay special - paid £270 delivered for a full cat back system.

Forgot to mention in the 1st post, its already got a JCW exhaust fitted ;) pretty good, not loud at all, so certainly wont be putting anything louder on. Maybe a manifold at some point, but thats for the distant future, when i want to achieve maximum horses.

The speedo in the middle will drive me nuts (I hear if you have the sat nav are the speedo/revs are in the "normal" position ?)

Yeah, satnav/chrono pack means you get a speedo in front of you instead. I use my Pogo Alert as a speedo anyways, so not really an issue.

Been in Wales all weekend for Sarah's mums 60th, so now done over 600 miles in it since i picked it up on Thursday!! Really enjoying the car tbh, sensible enough for pootling about in, quite on the motorway, but great fun in the mountain sections of the trip. Couple of negatives being the distinct lack of power and the very long ratios in the gearbox (facelift ones were shorter iirc), the 1st issue is very easy to fix however, with a 15% pulley going on asap, probably followed by a GRS/GP intercooler as well.

Some pictures of the trip, started in Cardiff, up through the Brecons, Elan Valley, etc - reminded me of watching the Rallying on tv as a kid lol. Awesome roads!!! Had sun, rain & even snow, all within about 2 miles at one point!

IMG_3777_zps999e1458.jpg

IMG_3778_zpsc5dcb617.jpg

IMG_3781_zpsf33585fe.jpg

IMG_3782_zps400b3ecc.jpg

IMG_3785_zps285c9454.jpg

IMG_3787_zps0a6a0fe3.jpg

IMG_3789_zps388703b4.jpg

IMG_3810_zps2b2da7ce.jpg

IMG_3811_zps967c3628.jpg

IMG_3812_zps370be12d.jpg

IMG_3819_zpsc7d04631.jpg

IMG_3820_zpsf14539cc.jpg

IMG_3830_zps10800abc.jpg

IMG_3831_zpse4b9bc8f.jpg

IMG_3835_zpsce5a3ef3.jpg

IMG_3837_zpsb481fbd7.jpg

Also, had my 1st breakage when the oil crankcase breather hose split a little, was making a noise like a cow mooing :clown: all fixed with insulating tape - proper part is only a tenner, so will get that ordered up asap:

IMG_3846_zps5ecdf73d.jpg

All in all, great little car. Basically a posh clio, which is what i wanted.