ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Silver 1.2 Clio Expression

Hi guys, thought I'd start a 'project' thread for my Clio although I'm not planning to go crazy with it!
Picked her up on the 23rd of Jan this year - 34,000 miles on the clock and looking lovely! She's replacing my old Black 3dr Dynamique, nothing wrong with the old one but I just dislike 3 doors for some reason, especially with passengers!
IMG_2149_zpse8e4d61d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
(The number plate even matches my initials!)
IMG_2150_zpscbf33932.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
(Old Clio in the background - Still haven't managed to sell her yet!)

So far I've installed a passive Edge Sub and an AMP, an after-market JVC Head unit, Xenon headlights & main beam and LED interior & sidelights

My plans for her are:

Exterior
- Black wheel trims (Maybe alloys if I get that much spare cash in the future)
- Colour code the strips, wing mirrors & handles (Maybe the spoiler if I can afford it!)
- A shorter aerial!
- Wind deflectors
- Coloured callipers
- Black diamonds - Front & Back

Interior
- Install LED lights into foot well (Front & rear)
- Get some more light in the back
- Seat covers
- Better quality mats (That actually fit)
- Metal/ Blue pedals

I really don't want to lower her, it's just too expensive for something that really doesn't need to be done - Don't get me wrong, it looks nice but it just isn't at all practical IMO!

So, that's all I've got atm, hopefully I'll be updating this in drips and drabs & I'll get some better pictures once she gets her first proper wash!

Let me know what you think...

Forgot to mention that today I decided to be a bit cheeky and swap the dash inserts from my Dynamique to Xander (Thought I'd name her...)
Before
IMG_2134_zpsfdaa2c7a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
(Please ignore by bad first attempts at LEDs in the foot wells, they're coming out soon and I'm completely re-wiring thanks to some great help from @matt911)

After
IMG_2147_zpsa3b2f940.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's not a huge difference but I think it's a nice, subtle, change - What do you guys think? (Minus the fact that I'm missing my hazard switch due to the b*****d breaking!)

Last edited:
  Monaco
You've got you're mats the wrong way round :) The passenger mat is on the driver's side and vise-versa. Scrap the seat covers idea and go for a 172 half leather seats. You can pick them up with matching door cards for <£150 these days, its an easy swap and they make such a difference!

You've got you're mats the wrong way round :) The passenger mat is on the driver's side and vise-versa. Scrap the seat covers idea and go for a 172 half leather seats. You can pick them up with matching door cards for <£150 these days, its an easy swap and they make such a difference!

Forgot to mention those, got them for under a tenner on eBay and they don't fit properly! (You'll see what I mean if you look at the curve on the driver's side mat) Instead of sending them back I just swapped them over, I'll invest in some better mats in the future ;)

And I was thinking of getting some better seats but for now I'm going to keep with the seat covers until I've got some more money ;)
Btw, when you say £150 do you mean front & back or just front?

Monaco
Forgot to mention those, got them for under a tenner on eBay and they don't fit properly! (You'll see what I mean if you look at the curve on the driver's side mat) Instead of sending them back I just swapped them over, I'll invest in some better mats in the future ;)

And I was thinking of getting some better seats but for now I'm going to keep with the seat covers until I've got some more money ;)
Btw, when you say £150 do you mean front & back or just front?

Front and back for sure. Recently got my mate a set for £150 with door cars. You've got a 5 door fortunately with the darker colour of plastics on the doors :clap: that's a major plus because after you've done the seats you can just buy the alcantara fabric and trim your current doorcards (when funds allow, about £30 would do). Again another super easy job. I helped a mate do this exact mod on his 5 door in November, we managed to find a mint set for £100.

Monaco
Just realised I wrote that weird. To clarify; I picked up a set of seats and doorcards for £150, I sourced a mate a mint set of just the seats for £100 which is all you'll need.

Just realised I wrote that weird. To clarify; I picked up a set of seats and doorcards for £150, I sourced a mate a mint set of just the seats for £100 which is all you'll need.

I think I understand ;)
That kind of price seems pretty reasonable to me tbh, I'll have a little look into it now and then see what the future holds! :)

Thanks for the advice BTW! Much appreciated :)

What about an RS grill? :)

I've trawled through a lot of the project threads and I've seen it mentioned a lot, to be honest it looks nice, don't get me wrong but it's not high on my list of mods to do to the car and IMO it's quite expensive for what it is :) I'm not going to write the idea off completely but for now I'd really look to focus on colour coding the car (Starting cheaply with the handles, strips and wing mirrors) :)

Btw, can you just pop off the wing mirror cover (the coloured bit) rather than having to buy a whole new wing mirror? Probably a really stupid question :rasp:

Monaco
Btw, can you just pop off the wing mirror cover (the coloured bit) rather than having to buy a whole new wing mirror? Probably a really stupid question :rasp:

Sure can. In general, clios dismantle pretty easily. Especially if you're colour coding the plastics, its way easier to take the parts off than worry about masking

Monaco
Well that makes my life a whole lot easier for when I colour code the little bits ;) It'll be the bumper etc. that'll be the hard ones ;)
Thanks for the help :)

You should check your colour code. It might be the same silver as a sport which comes with colour coded handles as standard. I'm sure you could pick them up for a few pound. Same with the gearknob insert, silver on all sports. Might be able to pick up the spoiler too.

Bumper is literally 4 bolts to take off. Super easy :)

You should check your colour code. It might be the same silver as a sport which comes with colour coded handles as standard. I'm sure you could pick them up for a few pound. Same with the gearknob insert, silver on all sports. Might be able to pick up the spoiler too.

Bumper is literally 4 bolts to take off. Super easy :)

Ahh okay, it probably is super easy with the right tools ;) I'll deffo look at some sports then! Had a quick look on eBay the other day for some bits :)
When you say the gearstick insert, do you mean you can literally just swap that little bit in the middle?

Talking about mods btw, what's the score with insurance? What do you have to declare? I only thought it was performace changes rather than asthetic changes but obviosuly not from looking on this forum...

I saw those the other day actually ;) Think I may invest once payday comes around! :)

Hey looks like mine :) nice! I changed on mine so far: shorter bee sting aerial, amp and sub in boot, led lights under dash, drl lights :) i eil subscrube might get some ideas from you. Painting brakes next week.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Why not just turn your lights on when driving instead of having those strips. It looks better and from what I've seen, the strips will last 5 minutes.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
But you've lit the rest of the car up like Blackpool and have a sub and amp fitted. Having these LED strips over turning the lights on is not really making that much difference. The improved looks, we'll agree to disagree on that one.

Hi guys, spotted this set of 4 interior handles for £20! Bargian, was about to buy them when i spotted the description saying: "a couple don't have the wire spring clips" - I think I know which part they're referring to, what I want to know is whether I can swap those bits from the old handles into these? Need to do this ASAP before someone else nabs them!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370998880029?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Hey looks like mine :) nice! I changed on mine so far: shorter bee sting aerial, amp and sub in boot, led lights under dash, drl lights :) i eil subscrube might get some ideas from you. Painting brakes next week.

Haha, I know, I had a read of your thread the other day ;) Thanks for the sub! Hopefully she'll eventaully look great! Just have to get the parts, resources, time, money and energy to do it all! Lol
I look forward to seeing the brakes! How easy are they to do and what's the general process? Was thinking of doing my calipers and drums at some point ;)

Well i got mine brand new, drums, shoes and fitting kit. If you want to do it right it takes some time. Process looks bit different when you just change shoes cos yoi need to clean drums from rust, flakes, dirt and grease. I got myself tacky clothes, brake cleaner, heat proof primer, heat proof paint and some masking tape. I will also need an oven to cure primer lol Search you tube plenty of tutorials,there its,quite easy but takes,time and,patience.

Well i got mine brand new, drums, shoes and fitting kit. If you want to do it right it takes some time. Process looks bit different when you just change shoes cos yoi need to clean drums from rust, flakes, dirt and grease. I got myself tacky clothes, brake cleaner, heat proof primer, heat proof paint and some masking tape. I will also need an oven to cure primer lol Search you tube plenty of tutorials,there its,quite easy but takes,time and,patience.

Ahh okay, I may look into getting some new drums etc. if I can afford it! What are the benefits of getting a new set?

And I'll take a look at YouTube, thank you :)

Ahh okay, I may look into getting some new drums etc. if I can afford it! What are the benefits of getting a new set?

And I'll take a look at YouTube, thank you :)

You can either just paint your old or brand new which cost like 60 quid. I choose new cos i cant be arsed cleaning rust lol. Benefits? Brand new brskes :) most of the time you only need to change shoes if your brakes are gone lol i got everything new, springs too.

First you need to take your wheel off and mesure diameter of drums/discs then you go to Apec website for part numbers and then order from ebay. I paid 106 quid for whole new set, drums, shoes and springs.