ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6x9

campus sport 1.2 16v
i am looking for some 6x9 for my car but dont have a clue whats good and what isnt, is the watt the only think that is needed to be looked at or is there something else, thanks, will.

Chav Rocket
6x9..... dont do it. if your serious about sound then ugrade your components and get a amp. if you need more bass get a sub after that

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 Grande
6x9s are a great upgrade for the price! made a huge difference to my car, focus on price, watts and manufacturer imo. go for a well known brand like i did with my 300w alpine's for £30, try motorworld

Ph1 172 + Combo van
300w lol how many watts are you actually getting rms? 45 with a decent amp? 15ish off the headunit?

I got mine before i even had a car, or passed my test. Back in my fastcar days. I went for vibe kevlar 6x9s. There not spectacular, But they work fine for me.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Lot of dispute about 6x9s on here and on MANY other car/audio forums I've seen - don't do it lol :nono:

Better off with a good set of component speakers up front and an amp if you want more power

Chav Rocket
Lot of dispute about 6x9s on here and on MANY other car/audio forums I've seen - don't do it lol :nono:

Better off with a good set of component speakers up front and an amp if you want more power

as i said... shady your a bit of a nit wit boy. 6x9 are a waste of money and by the time you realise that either your back window has been smashed or if you see sense before that you realise when you take them out you have to buy a new parcel shelf.

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ unless you buy a stealth shelf but thats even more ££ to fit the 6x9s and to hide the fact that you're a geek who loves going to Halfrauds.

oooops did I say that out loud - sorry I meant Argos :eek:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm in the process of fitting 6x9's to my track car.

Music Volume/Weight/price they cannot be beaten.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yes, on the other hand they can be the cheap way out of buying amps & subs if you just want a bit more volume & bass without going mad & spending a small fortune & taking up some of your bootspace

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have Infinity components and a good quality Alpine HU, but while driving a stripped out car at 80mph on the M4 you cannot hear them!

I'm going to ditch the components as weight save and fit the 6x9s in the rear quarters with plenty of dynamat in there!

BMW 330ci Clubsport
I think it depends on where your going to put them.
If you decide "Heck, I'm going to take the back seats out and put my 6x9's properly where the old rear speakers where" then go for it!
But if your thinking "I'll shove them on a parcel shelf" then don't do it, the reason not to is quite simple. I can imagine that eventually you'll want a sub. So you put your sub in the boot with the 6x9's on the parcel shelf. Which seems fine, but isn't. Because after a couple of months blarring out your music your 6x9's will blow because of the sub. As the sub pushes air it will push air through your 6x9's and destroy them.

Anyway, thats what I think about 6x9's lol

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Yes on a mk2 they would be quite hard to modify to fit.

Daniel: are you modifying your existing rear door cards or have you got a sheet of something to replace it then mount your speakers into it?

With a decent headunit you could have the 6x9s running on a low pass filter then have you front components going on high pass or full range depending on what you want it to sound like. would like to hear that tbh.

Ive got my 6x9s on the standard parcel shelf, Wired up to the rear speakers.

The parcel shelf is reinforced with fiberglass matting and resin.

There wired up to my pioneer head unit at 45w each channel.

For what they cost they are great i think.

When i get spare cash ill upgrade my system, But im having no problems at the moment so im happy.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Daniel: are you modifying your existing rear door cards or have you got a sheet of something to replace it then mount your speakers into it?

With a decent headunit you could have the 6x9s running on a low pass filter then have you front components going on high pass or full range depending on what you want it to sound like. would like to hear that tbh.

It has mdf boards in place of the rear quarter panels. I don't want a full set of four speakers in the car. I'm trying to save weight as its a track car!

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
6x9's sound ok if you have nothing else and your not planning on goin mad. get a stealth shelf, a good one, and they'll sound better, and no-one will smash your windows for them.
if your goin all the way with amps, sound deadening and all the good stuff, read into it all before spending loads, and you'll discover that yea, they don't work well with a sub in the same space, and front components are the way to go.it's all about what sounds good to you! (if your not entering a competiton)

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 Grande
Yes, on the other hand they can be the cheap way out of buying amps & subs if you just want a bit more volume & bass without going mad & spending a small fortune & taking up some of your bootspace
backs up my earlier comment lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ There's no right & wrong - everyone will have different tastes & opinions

The majority of people nowadays don't like 6x9s

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i would never go for 6x9s,
tacky chavy crud, they sound awful
and magically transforms your car into a chav chariot,

if you want an upgrade worth doing, change the front speakers for components,

but if you REALLY need them, then no watts (wotzzzz) are not the things to look at,

theyre just a number that products boast to chavs,
and other chavs boast to each other,
there are many other factors that determin how good speakers are,

better idea would be to sit in people with 6x9s cars a listen to them to give you a clear idea of what they sound like,

1000w loudest 6x9s chuck out the same amount of sound as my 60w
stay away from anything that offers more performance than the price suggest,
or dodgy sounding makes,

because theyre chav accessories,
and chavs love wottzzzzz (innit)
most 6x9s will offer rediculous wattage output

vaux cavalier
Some interesting comments regarding the top selling 6x9 speaker in this thread....

The simple fact is, a 6x9 installed correctly and powered correctly will out perform most other sizes of speaker....

You can't get away from that fact....

Consider Component speakers, most manufacturers will agree the tweeter should be positioned as close to the mid as possible, but most stock systems have the mid in the door & tweeter in the dash???? 6x9s have both together as do coaxials....

Try sitting in a Ford Mondeo or Focus that is running stock audio, compare that to your stock Clio components....No contest, the stock Ford 5x7s win in all areas....

Now listen to the same Ford Mondeo or Focus that has had the 5x7s replaced with 6x9s, (they drop straight in), and again the 6x9s will come out on top, (larger cone area ftw)....Throw in some sound deadening & a small amp & you could almost believe there is a sub present....

You should avoid knocking a specific product based on limited experience, save that until you've actually used/heard that product installed in the correct fashion....Even then you may not appreciate the sound, but that doesn't imply someone else won't....

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ Fair point, but that's about cars with bigger speakers fitted as standard anyway IN THE DOORS - we have 5.25" Comps & coaxils in our French breadsticks lol so don't see how it compares to fitting them into the Clio PARCEL SHELF :S

vaux cavalier
^ Fair point, but that's about cars with bigger speakers fitted as standard anyway IN THE DOORS - we have 5.25" Comps & coaxils in our French breadsticks lol so don't see how it compares to fitting them into the Clio PARCEL SHELF :S

Indeed, the point I was making is, "You can't beat cone area"....Imagine how your Clio would sound with 6x9s mounted in the doors rather than 5 1/4" mids....

Like I said in my previous post, "6x9s shouldn't be slated as all bad when people continually mount them or drive them incorrectly"....

Mounting into a stock parcel shelf is bad practice....

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have £400 17cm Components on my Clio doors mate so no point worrying what something that looks hideous (IMO of course) is going to sound like ;)

Mounting into any parcel shelf is bad practice for SQ and for SPL there's no point having 6x9s as they'd be drowned by the subs lol

vaux cavalier
I have £400 17cm Components on my Clio doors mate so no point worrying what something that looks hideous (IMO of course) is going to sound like ;)

Mounting into any parcel shelf is bad practice for SQ and for SPL there's no point having 6x9s as they'd be drowned by the subs lol

A set of £400 components mounted incorrectly in the doors could still be humbled by a set of £25 JBL 6x9s mounted/installed correctly in the same place....

I'm not saying 6x9s are ideal in all situations, they are ideal in a few though....

With regards being 'drowned' out by the sub/subs, who said 6x9s should be used in this manner???

Like I said earlier, if 6x9s are used as they should be, (as an alternative to a sub), then they are hard to beat....

You shouldn't knock a product because the vast majority fit & use them incorrectly....

"Navy" N17 TWO
Totally agree with the installation & fabrication of speaker pods being the key to a good setup, mine are certainly not made on the kitchen worktop lol ;)

See www.audioadvice.co.uk

On another beat, I'm not knocking the 6x9 out completely - they have been in some good competition installs I've seen at shows, maybe not to everyone's taste but we are talking about a "full" boot install here - back seats out etc

ClioSport 172 Cup
I have Vibe QB69's and the quality was that good I actually took them out of my previous car and installed them in my Clio Cup. They piss all over the Clio system on their own for quality and clarity, more so at higher volume. They are an excellent addition to any car sound system. They are listed as 450W a piece and i`m running them off an individual Blackbox 2 Vibe Amp along with my Vibe Blackair 2 Sub which is also on its own amp. The Clio system lacks any mid sound, its Tinny as fook. Replacing the clio coaxial speakers with aftermarket ones is a waste of time, its still the same cone surface area and there is a minimal improvement in clarity.